Transmission for DNS-313, DNS-323

Getting the D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Network Attached Storage Enclosure

This guide has been superseded by “Transmission 1.42+ for DNS-323

Required files

libcurl (7.18.1) download

transmission (1.21) download

transmission (1.22) download

These files (by KyleK) are for fonz’s fun_plug version 0.5. Setting up transmission is pretty straight forward.

Setting up fonz’s fun_flug
If you are using DNS-313, follow this guide to install fonz’ fun_plug for the DNS-313 before following the rest of this guide.
If you are using DNS-323, follow the instructions to install fonz’s fun_plug.

Downloading the required files
Download the required files (libcurl and transmission) to your Volume_1 (/mnt/HD_a2).

Installing libcurl and transmission
Telnet to your NAS and execute the following commands

/ # cd mnt/HD_a2
/mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i curl-7181.tgz
Installing package curl-7181 …
/mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i Transmission-1.22-ffp0.5.tgz
Installing package Transmission-1.22-ffp0.5.tgz …

Editing the transmission.sh file (if you are setting up for DNS-313)
Edit the startup file transmission.sh (/ffp/start/transmission.sh) using vi or other suitable editor. Change the following line:

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission

to

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a4/.transmission

Creating a temporary directory
Execute the following command to create a temporary directory to hold torrent files that are greater than 100kB.

/mnt/HD_a2 # mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/tmp

Running transmission for the first time
Execute transmission-daemon using the following command

/mnt/HD_a2 # /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
Starting transmission-daemon
/mnt/HD_a2 #

Setting the path for new torrent

This makes the downloading of torrent files to your Volume_1 and avoid the cluttering of HD_a4 for DNS-313.

/mnt/HD_a2 # mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/torrents

if you are on DNS-313

/mnt/HD_a2 # export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a4/.transmission
/mnt/HD_a2 # transmission-remote -f /mnt/HD_a2/torrents

otherwise

/mnt/HD_a2 # export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission
/mnt/HD_a2 # transmission-remote -f /mnt/HD_a2/torrents

Starting the transmission automatically on reboot
transmission can be started everytime you reboot your device. Simply set the transmission.sh file to executable

/mnt/HD_a2 # chmod a+x /ffp/start/transmission.sh

Have fun with your transmission!

Note: If you encounter “Permission Denied” during the bittorrent session, execute the following command in telnet:

/ # chmod 0755 -R /mnt/HD_a2/torrents

82 thoughts on “Transmission for DNS-313, DNS-323

• June 2, 2008 at 2:58 am

when i try /mnt/HD_a2 # chmod a+x /ffp/start/transmission.sh start

I got error “chmod: start: No such file or directory”

• June 2, 2008 at 10:48 pm

hi!

I’m an absolute newbee here. I followed your excellent instructuctions but have the following problem:

/mnt/HD_a2 # /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    Starting transmission-daemon
    sh: cannot create /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/transmission-daemon.log: Permission d enied
    Could not find Transmission socket
    /mnt/HD_a2 #

Any idea?

Thanx in advance!

• June 3, 2008 at 2:43 am

does it work with private torrent? i’ve tried but cant seems to download. I got this “Permission denied” πŸ™

• June 4, 2008 at 7:21 am

CID,

Have you created the folder /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission? Have you ran the transmission files under a different user like nobody?

• June 4, 2008 at 7:23 am

Errz,

Have amended the instructions a little. Whether does it support private torrent depends on whether they allow it or not. Different private torrent sites works differently. Some of the users use mldonkey and changed the client name to one that is allowed and it works.

• June 5, 2008 at 3:48 am

folder /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission DOES exist!
    I use Telnet to connect to the NAS with Putty Rel. 0.6. – Could this be a problem?
    In the telnet session I’ve never used any username or password…

• June 5, 2008 at 10:24 am

CID,

Are you using a DNS-313 or DNS-323? If you are using the former, you would need to edit the transmission.sh file.

• June 5, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Is this used with mldonkey, or instead of it? I checked around, and it looked like a BT client, like mldonkey.

• June 6, 2008 at 4:06 am

hello,

i get the folowing error message

# /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    Starting transmission-daemon
    Could not find Transmission socket

and i have to folowing line in the log file.

transmission-daemon: failed to bind socket file: /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/daemon/socket: Address already in use

what could be the problem?
    pls help

Szmore

• June 6, 2008 at 7:13 am

Forge,

It is a bittorrent client with smaller memory footprint, and of course, lesser functionalities. πŸ™‚

• June 16, 2008 at 1:11 am

hi
    even tho i’ve set up transmission but i still cant get decent speeds for my torrent downloads, it has nv exceeded 5Kb/s
    port forwarding has alr been done
    what else do u recommend i troubleshoot frm?
    thanks in advance X_x

• June 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm

CID: i hope you have solved your problem.
    if not. try get into transmission.sh which should be around:
    /ffp/start/transmission.sh

you will find a line starts with user=none
    change the user to root or whoever tries to run it.

then you should be fine.

note: you need basic vi skill in order to edit/save etc πŸ˜‰

hope this helps

• June 18, 2008 at 3:20 am

Hi andy,

Great guides on getting transmission & clutch working on dns-323. By following your guides I had managed to get it going.

However, I have a question. I had downloaded some torrent file onto my local drive. Then go into clutch, open, browse the torrent file and click upload but then the file does not start.

I tried an openoffice torrent and it works. Confused as to why other torrent file do not work.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

• June 18, 2008 at 9:05 pm

cheongseeker,

By other torrents, what other torrents did you try?

• June 19, 2008 at 1:22 am

Hi andy,

I’ve download the torrent from http://bt.icefish.org

The particular torrent is the superstar 20080613 variety show.

When I upload the torrent via clutch, I get the following error.

Upload Error
    An unexpected error occured. The torrent you uploaded may already be running.

I’ve read through the clutch forum and found the following thread.

It covers the error I encountered but can’t find a solution.

Cheers.

• June 19, 2008 at 1:26 am

Hi Andy,

I’m trying to make sure that all of the torrent downloading is encrypted. Going through various forums, I found that I have to edit the transmission.conf and uncomment ENCRYPTION=”-ee” to enable encryption.

Problem is I cannot find transmission.conf anywhere in the DNS-323.

Is this the way to enable encryption? Where can I find transmission.conf?

Thanks.

• June 19, 2008 at 2:02 am

Oh, one more thing. I read in other forum that to start blocklist we need to start the daemon with the -b option.

How do check if my transmission is running with blocklist?

Thanks.

• June 20, 2008 at 9:31 am

cheongseeker,

1) The transmissionbt forum link didn’t really go in-depth into the issue so I can’t help you much on it. Perhaps we could search around for an answer together. πŸ™‚

2) Encryption option could be set in the Clutch preference or through transmission-remote command in shell (telnet/SSH)

3) I am unsure how to really test the blocklist feature. Not sure if blocked connections are logged. Perhaps you could examine the log and share with me your insights?

• June 25, 2008 at 12:15 am

Hi Andy,

Can help me on this error that I’ve “Daemon Error
    The Transmission daemon does not appear to be running.” when I run Clutch.
    Thanks in advance.

• June 25, 2008 at 10:14 am

thenhow,

Can you paste me the results that tell you that it can’t run the command?

• June 25, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Hi Andy,

Had checked and tried, this time round it downloaded the file ok. But when I return to Clutch, the same error – “Daemon Error
    The Transmission daemon does not appear to be running.”

• July 12, 2008 at 6:42 am

I’m getting this same error. I have everything finally setup, and i get the transmission daemon does not appear to be running…

• July 12, 2008 at 6:47 am

it was this line that caused me issues, it didnt copy/paste well

• July 12, 2008 at 12:37 pm

ddoonie,

Glad that you managed to solve the problem. πŸ™‚

• July 30, 2008 at 4:46 am

I’m also getting that socket error :

/mnt/HD_a2 # /ffp/start/transmission.sh restart
    Stopping transmission-daemon
    transmission-remote: failed to connect to socket file: /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/daemon/socket: Connection refused
    Starting transmission-daemon
    Could not find Transmission socket

Things I checked :
    – /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/daemon/socket really is there….
    – I did a chmod 777 for the sochet file

A big thnx in advance for any help, I’m a bit of a n00b on this matter…

• August 15, 2008 at 4:38 am

Thanks a bunch for a really good guide! Worked like a charm. One question though, after installation, is it ok to delete or move the .tar/.gz/.tgz-files from the Volume_1 root?

• August 16, 2008 at 10:35 am

Fons,

Which NAS are you using?

• August 16, 2008 at 10:36 am

Hybris,

Congrats on setting up transmission. Yes, those tgz files can be deleted or moved after installation. πŸ™‚

• August 28, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Hey Andy,

how about the new transmission 1.33, have you managed to compile it yet? And/or do you know anyone who has done it and where i can get it from? Like everyone else im unsure of how to do it myself. Email me would you kindly? Thank you for all your work and foremost for sharing it. /O

• August 29, 2008 at 11:21 am

O-Lee,

Check out the release from Kylek

• August 31, 2008 at 1:11 pm

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission

is there some other way to set this? As is i have to manually re-enter this before i can use transmission-remote otherwise the environment variable isnt set in my new ssh session

• September 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Daniel,

If you have started transmission using transmission.sh, that export is called automatically.

• September 2, 2008 at 2:51 am

I have Dlink DND-323 – Firmware version 1.5
    This version has already builtin Bittorent client.

However, in order to try Transmission I installed fun_plug 0.5 and its running . As I can telnet to the Box.

I then downloaded the lib curl and transmission package from the link mentioned above and saved them to the required folder.

But when I try to installed the package I get the following error

/mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i curl-7181.tgz
    tar: invalid gzip magic
    FATAL: curl-7181.tgz: Failed to unpack package

Any help is appreciated.

• September 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm

I did the this line copy/paste
    echo /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/daemon/socket > /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages/clutch/remote/data/socket.txt but still having this error, appreciate if you can assist

• September 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Aag Janes,

Download the files again.

• September 4, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Jason,

Follow the same solution given previously.

• September 4, 2008 at 3:18 pm

THanks for the reply Andy,

I use the transmission.sh file to start transmission automatically by placing it in /ffp/start/

What i am trying to do use use crond to issues commands to transmisison using the transmission remote. Reason being i have 110gb downloads from 1am to 7am and 40gb other. so obviously i want to resume and pause between those times.
    However, the env variable isnt set so the remote doesnt work
    if theres an easy way to achieve this any help would be great πŸ™‚

• September 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm

hi shadowandy

I did that for few times but still failed therefore I here asking otherwise problem that I may miss

• September 6, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Daniel,

You could write those start and stop commands in a shell script. Within the shell script you could set the env vars before invoking any commands.

• September 6, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Jason,

Then make sure your transmission-daemon is started before you try controlling it through Clutch.

• September 29, 2008 at 7:28 am

Can someone explain how can I edit the file transmission.sh?

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission

to

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a4/.transmission

I don’t have any exprience with vi

• September 30, 2008 at 8:22 pm

andre,

Check out the instructions for “Q: I do not know how to use “vi”. Where can I learn?” on MLDonkey FAQ

• October 1, 2008 at 3:45 am

Thanks shadowandy.

It’s very easy to use vi, all I need it’s a good tut.

• October 1, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Keep getting the β€œThe Transmission daemon does not appear to be running.” error. Have already tried a format+ reinstall of transmission and clutch, but to no effect. Have checked all steps carefully and there were no errors, I did it exactly as the tutorial says… with one exception. I pointed telnet to β€œphp-5.2.6-3.tgz” instead of β€œβ€¦-2.tgz” manually but it installed ok. Have also tried restarting transmission and the NAS (Conceptronic CH3SNAS – similar to DNS-323) on numerous occasions but that also didn’t help. Neither did previous tips…

I checked with telnet btw:
    ” /mnt/HD_a2 # ffp/start/transmission.sh restart
    Stopping transmission-daemon
    Starting transmission-daemon
    /mnt/HD_a2 # ffp/start/transmission.sh status
    transmission-daemon is running ”

Plz help a NAS newb:)

• October 1, 2008 at 9:29 pm

No way…

Nevermind, just another reboot and transmission restart did fix it… weird? So I guess it’s fixed:D

• October 13, 2008 at 4:35 am

Hi Folks!

Thanx for this perfect guide for Transmission.
    But I’m totally newbie so please tell me, whta is the next step if i succesfull install the Transmission without errors.
    So how can I download torrents, hasit any grapichal interface?

Thanks for your help, Best Regards:

C.

p.s. When I finished the installation of Transmisison the original BT client in the DNS-323 no longer working. Is it correct?

• October 17, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Hi Shadowandy,

thanks for this great guide, it almost went smoothly :-/

i got everything done and went to connect using firefox (also tested with opera and safari) and got this message

“Could not connect to the server. You may need to reload the page to reconnect.”

when i click the details tab i see this

“Warning: socket_connect() [function.socket-connect]: unable to connect [111]: Connection refused in /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages/clutch/remote/lib/TransmissionController.class.php on line 103
    This program has encountered an error and will now exit.”

I have followed steps on here and given permissions to all the relevant folders. the service is running on my box (dns-323). anything else sring to mind?

I am no expert at linux so please go easy on me

many thanks in advance
    kX

oh, and good luck with yer exams πŸ˜‰

• October 18, 2008 at 9:04 am

krytonX,

May I ask you to run the following commands in your telnet:

cd /mnt/HD_a2
    funpkg -r Transmission-1.22-ffp0.5.tgz
    wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/Transmission-1.34-ffp0.5.tgz
    funpkg -i Transmission-1.34-ffp0.5.tgz
    chmod a+x /ffp/start/transmissionbt.sh
    sh /ffp/start/transmissionbt.sh start

Then fire up your web browser and browse to http://:9091

Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the lucks! I need them!

• October 18, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Hi shadowandy,

thanks for the quick reply. I followed your steps above except I removed the bt from transmissionbt.sh from both the chmod and start commands.

it works like a charm thank you.

now all i need is to secure this box, any recommendations? ssh?

cheers
    kX

• October 19, 2008 at 2:03 am

oops!!

I have installed openssh and made a boo boo!

i seem to have broken telnet and the ssh shell allows me to log in but doesnt actually give me a prompt.

any clues how i might be able to rectify this?

many thanks in advance
    kX

• October 19, 2008 at 10:22 am

kyptonX,

Telnet shouldn’t be broken after installation of ssh! Without any shell access I doubt I would be help much, except to ask you to set up fun_plug again.

For securing ssh access, I am using DenyHosts. It protect against hammering attacks (or password guessing).

• October 19, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Hi shadowandy,

it wasnt installing ssh that broke telnet, it was my attempts to get telnet to request a login! (it was my fault entirely!)

I will try and set up fun_plug again and hopefully that will do it

I will also have a look at DenyHosts, are there any pitfalls you can advise of before i break something else again?

cheers
    kX

• October 20, 2008 at 1:05 am

krytonX,

Ah I see. There ain’t really any pitfalls. Make sure you are using fonz’s fun_plug version 0.5. πŸ™‚

• October 20, 2008 at 2:31 am

shadowandy,

I got back in with telnet after re installing fun_plug

I have got denyhosts installed but i cannot find any information on how it works or how to configure it etc,

any suggestions?

• October 20, 2008 at 10:45 am

kyptonX,

Check out the configuration file (/ffp/etc/denyhosts.cfg). The comments found in the configuration file should guide you along.

• October 20, 2008 at 7:35 pm

thanks shadowandy,

sorry to be such a pain!!

i have configured it now. however, i cannot get the shell working. it logs in but does nothing after!!!

I think i have goosed sshd maybe?

any pointers?

• October 20, 2008 at 7:54 pm

to be a bit more specific,

when i try and connect to my box with PuTTY, it gives me the message

“server unexpectedly closed network connection” instantly.

have i missed something here?

• October 20, 2008 at 9:45 pm

sorry, didnt notice this post,

i have managed to sort it now with a re install, thanks.

again, many thanks for your help with this πŸ˜‰

cheers
    kX

• October 20, 2008 at 10:44 pm

hmmm, hopefully this is the last thing i will balls up on this box, once its done its done LOL

transmission appears to not be working now. I get the persission denied error as soon as the download of the file begins.

I have done this

chmod -R 755 /mnt/HD_a2/torrents

but I still get the error

any help?

• October 20, 2008 at 11:25 pm

cancel my last,

i am going to go and slap myself about a bit, once i thought it through i found the problem

again, many thanks for helping a linux newb with this

got there in the end

cheers
    kX

• October 21, 2008 at 11:35 pm

krytonX, may I know how u solve the permission denied error? Previously I could download without any problems but lately, I’m getting that error – even for those that I had successfully downloaded without error when transmission was first set up. Appreciate anyone’s advice too. Thanks πŸ™‚

• October 22, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Hi Andy!

As a linux newbie Ive tried to use your guide to install Transmission however I have a problem at the first steps.

I installed fun-plug 0.5 without problem, the telnet connection is up and running.

From my windows I copied the 2 tar files to the root of my 323 and tried to install curl but failed:

/mnt/HD_a2 # /mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i curl-7181.tgz
    /ffp/bin/sh: /mnt/HD_a2: Permission denied

Could you help me, please?

Thank in advance!

S.

• October 26, 2008 at 7:05 pm

cdo_saturday

i simply put the correct dir for downloading in the preferences of the transmission web interface..

bottom left corner of browser/ preferences and select folder to download to.

kX

• December 21, 2008 at 6:49 pm

hi, can we record dcs-2120 video files onto dns313 without turning on computer?

• December 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm

geni,

You could use those command line rtsp recorder to record DCS-2120 videos onto the DNS-313 directly.

• December 25, 2008 at 12:41 pm

hi, i get this permission denied after i click start on the torrent on the transmission web interface. it loaded awhile eg. getting the seeds and downloading for a few secs then it shows the the permission denied thingy.

any idea how to solve? i spent the whole night doing it πŸ™

• December 25, 2008 at 1:00 pm

star,

It is documented in the guide. Read until the end of the guide.

• December 25, 2008 at 2:36 pm

i have already typed that also cannot. just now i remove everything then following your guide again. until this part /mnt/HD_a2 # transmission-remote -f /mnt/HD_a2/torrents

it says “no torrent specified please use the -t option”

do i need to set anything else?

Thanks so much for replying so fast.

• December 25, 2008 at 9:58 pm

star,

Perhaps you can follow the instructions i wrote for krytonX.

• December 26, 2008 at 10:02 am

sigh…. also cannot. my folder is Downloads and my NAS drive is T: i tried typing in the prefences
    1. /mnt/HD_a2/Downloads
    2. /Downloads
    3. T:/Downloads

Also cannot. Maybe later go home try format the HDD then install again.

Just to confirm. So after formating just need to follow the steps you gave above right?

do you think its the default BT program from dlink cause the problem? If yes how do i remove the program?

Thanks again

• December 28, 2008 at 5:41 am

Hello,
    I’ve tried this command transmission-remote -f /mnt/HD_a2/torrents and I’ve got this message: No torrent specified! Please use the -t option first.

Also, I’ve tried to go to Clutch GUI and I got there an error message: “Daemon Error
    The Transmission daemon does not appear to be running”

So, any suggestions?

BTW happy New Year’s Eve

• December 28, 2008 at 5:42 am

one thing more, I’am using DNS-313

• December 28, 2008 at 11:03 am

star & JF,

Do refer to this thread as I no longer compile transmissionbt. KyleK has taken over the compilation and is doing a fantastic job!