MLDonkey 2.9.6

A patched version of MLDonkey has been compiled. Check out MLDonkey 2.9.6 (max_bt_uploaders patched).

MLDonkey releases will now be packaged for fonz’s fun_plug (0.5) to ease the installation process. 3 variants of the compilation would be made available:

1. mldonkey lite – supports filetp, bittorrent
  2. mldonkey normal – supports filetp, bittorrent, edonkey
  3. mldonkey full – supports filetp, bittorrent, edonkey, directconnect, fasttrack

Installation

Download the necessary package and place it on Volume_1 of your NAS (DNS-343, DNS-323, DNS-313). Telnet to your NAS and type the following commands

/ # cd /mnt/HD_a2
/mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i mldonkey-2.9.6-lite.tgz
Installing package mldonkey-2.9.6-lite …

Running mldonkey

To run mldonkey, simply issue the command “/ffp/start/mlnet.sh start”.

/mnt/HD_a2 # /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start
Starting mlnet

MLDonkey takes some time to setup the necessary files. Default download directory has been set to “/mnt/HD_a2/mldonkey” or simple the mldonkey folder in Volume_1.

To make MLDonkey auto-run on reboot, simply issue the following command

/mnt/HD_a2 # chmod a+x /ffp/start/mlnet.sh

Configuring MLDonkey if you are running it for the first time

You would need to configure the settings so you can access the web interface. Execute the following commands.

/mnt/HD_a2 # telnet 127.0.0.1 4000
Welcome to MLDonkey 2.9.6
Welcome on mldonkey command-line
Use ? for help
> auth admin “”
Full access enabled
SECURITY WARNING: user admin has an empty password, use command: useradd admin password
> set allowed_ips “127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255”
option allowed_ips value changed
options and sources saved
MLdonkey command-line:
> exit
Connection closed by foreign host

Accessing the web interface

After configuring the settings, you can direct your web browser to http://<NAS’s IP>:4080.

Do leave your comments at MLDonkey for DNS-323

75 thoughts on “MLDonkey 2.9.6

• August 20, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Thanks shadowandy!
    That’s really easy to install!

• August 20, 2008 at 11:04 pm

• August 21, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Glad that it is working for you all! πŸ™‚

• August 23, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for this. But is there a way of reversing the installation process of both this and funplug? I’m using a DNS 313 btw.

• August 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm

to remove this package, simply type funpkg -r mldonkey-2.9.6-.

To remove fun_plug, simply remove fun_plug and ffp folder.

I guess you can’t get the ffp to work as you need to change the volume to HD_a4 instead.

• August 24, 2008 at 5:40 am

When I attempt to telnet into mldonkey after installing, i get a connection refused error. I tried the walkthru of the segmentation fault problem. But its still no working. What am I doing wrong?

• August 24, 2008 at 8:20 am

livid,

try the following command and paste me the results

ps | grep “./bt”

• August 26, 2008 at 4:12 pm

had mldonkey-2.9.5 installed previously. I had some problems with the rights:
    * I had mldonkey running as root => chown -R nobody mldonkey
    * the directories didn’t have the x flag set =>
    ** chmod a+x searches
    ** chmod a+x incoming
    ** chmod a+x torrent
    ** chmod a+x shared
    ** chmod a+x temp
    * The ini files aren’t writeable (bug?). changed permissions to 777, still the same. (See the log)

Hope this helps some ppl.

Cheers Andi

P.S.: The log.
    2008/08/26 09:10:40 [Opt] exception rename failed on downloads.ini: Permission denied while saving downloads.ini
    2008/08/26 09:10:40 [Opt] exception rename failed on users.ini: Permission denied while saving users.ini
    2008/08/26 09:10:41 [Opt] exception rename failed on stats_bt.ini: Permission denied while saving stats_bt.ini
    2008/08/26 09:11:03 [Opt] exception rename failed on files.ini: Permission denied while saving files.ini
    2008/08/26 09:11:03 [Opt] exception rename failed on searches.ini: Permission denied while saving searches.ini
    2008/08/26 09:11:03 [Opt] exception rename failed on friends.ini: Permission denied while saving friends.ini
    2008/08/26 09:11:03 [Opt] exception rename failed on servers.ini: Permission denied while saving servers.ini
    2008/08/26 09:11:03 [cCO] Options correctly saved
    2008/08/26 09:11:03 [Opt] exception rename failed on shared_files.ini: Permission denied while saving shared_files.ini

• August 27, 2008 at 9:02 pm

I downloaded windows version of mldonkey installation package. When i run the mlnet.exe i get this error;
    —————————–
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [cO] Starting MLDonkey 2.9.6 …
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [cO] Language TR, locale CP1254, ulimit for open files 1024
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [cO] MLDonkey is working in .

2008/08/27 15:56:18 [cO] creating new MLDonkey base directory in .

2008/08/27 15:56:18 [Gettext] Loading language resource mlnet_strings.TR_CP1254
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [cO] loaded language resource file
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [DNS] Resolving [depo] …
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [DNS] Resolving [www.mldonkey.org] …
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [dMain] Libmagic file-type recognition database present
    2008/08/27 15:56:18 [cInt] WARNING: Directory C:\mlDonkey is full, MLDonkey shut
    s down

2008/08/27 15:56:18 WARNING: Directory C:\mlDonkey is full, MLDonkey shuts down
    —————————–
    what can i do?

my os is windows 2003 standart edition r2

• August 31, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Wow, I did it. Start to explore it more….
    Thanks.

• September 1, 2008 at 9:59 pm

RammsteinTR,

Perhaps your C:\ is out is space?

Thai Ngo,

Congrats! Do explore MLDonkey and share your experience.

• September 2, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I realized that MLDonkey couldn’t work with BT. After installing BT then BT controls the port and I can’t access port 4080 anymore.
    So after removing BT and reinstall MLDonkey then it works.

• September 3, 2008 at 10:01 am

Thai Ngo,

Yes. The BT on DNS-323 uses default port 6881 which is needed by MLDonkey also.

• September 13, 2008 at 5:28 pm

@Andi,
    i’ve tried to fix owner:group to all the files in the mldonkey dir and to the dir itself, nothing changed, new .ini.tmp files with a copy of the config are recreated every time mlnet is started (reverting to 2.9.5 doesn’t solve the issue!).
    For a workaround, do the following:
    -rename mldonkey dir
    -install the mldonkey 2.9.6 package
    -start mldonkey (a new mldonkey dir is created)
    -copy the old .ini files to the new mldonkey dir

• September 14, 2008 at 2:30 pm

thanks!
    what about GD support?

• September 15, 2008 at 5:31 am

Hi!

I run the ch3snas and tried several mldonkey installations now, but it always ends with the same error:

2008/09/15 00:25:23 [cInt] WARNING: Directory /home/root/.mldonkey is full, MLDonkey shuts down

2008/09/15 00:25:23 WARNING: Directory /home/root/.mldonkey is full, MLDonkey shuts down

I know that this means that mldonkey tries to run on the internal RAM disk instead of the HDDs..but I didn’t find out a way to correct this yet since, as far as i can see, the correct path has to be specified somewhere in the mlnet bin which I cannot edit. any ideas? =)

• September 18, 2008 at 10:04 am

vipEr,

Did you use mlnet.sh?

• September 18, 2008 at 10:05 am

ryan,

Will compile one with GD support soon. πŸ™‚

• September 18, 2008 at 10:05 am

oh,

Nice trick! Thanks for the instructions to upgrade current installations!

• September 19, 2008 at 5:21 am

hi shadowandy,

Yes I did use the mlnet.sh … I even tried some “enhanced” scripts, always the same result. the funny thing is that the mnlet.sh does indeed create the mldonkey dir on mnt/HD_a2/ but it won’t run. :\
    I’m really out of ideas.

• September 23, 2008 at 11:34 am

vipEr: most likely you did not start the mlnet.sh command with the “sh” or “./” prefix, or you did not add the “start” keyword afterwards. The command should read: “sh mlnet.sh start”, or “./mlnet.sh start”, otherwise the command shell might be trying to execute the script as “root” (especially if you are using bash instead of sh.

• September 26, 2008 at 9:53 am

I usually get the refuse after i shutdown the hard disk. I don’t know why. So i have to reinstall the mldonkey then the system runs again.
    When the problem occurs, i can’t telnet to 127.0.0.1 4000. It says that the connection is refused. When i browse it with IE, it also says that the connection is refused as well.
    Can anyone help me? Thanks.

• September 27, 2008 at 5:55 am

@reggie :

THX!, u r my personal Hero =)
    that is exactly what was wrong, didn’t use the start after mlnet.sh …prolly because this wasn’t part of the procedure when I did another tutorial, so I didn’t do it here either ^^

• September 27, 2008 at 10:24 am

vipEr,

Seems like a lot of people don’t bother to follow instructions and you happened to be one of them!

• September 27, 2008 at 3:36 pm

kelf,

Maybe I should bold the mlnet.sh part, as quite a fair bit of users who face problems don’t use the mlnet.sh.

• September 28, 2008 at 6:54 am

Have the same problem as livid.

quote:

I get “connection refused when trying to connect to 127.0.0.1.
    I have BT installed.

• September 28, 2008 at 7:14 am

I suppose BT uses the same port as mldonkey because as soon as I uninstalled BT the problem was gone!

• September 28, 2008 at 8:37 am

Linus,

Yes. The port 6881 is used by the default BT so MLDonkey can’t start up.

• September 28, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Shadowandy,
    I still having problems with mldonkey.

Current setup:
    DNS-323 (Static IP:192.168.1.99) connected to my router.
    iMac (Static IP: 192.168.1.65) connected to my router.

MLDonkey is installed but when I try to start downloading a torrentfile using “dllink XYZ.torrent” nothing shows up in the web interface.

I understand that it’s pretty hard for you to be able to help me but I’m totaly new to linux so I’m really having a hard time trying to get this up and running πŸ™‚

• September 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Linus,

Make sure the torrent file is located in the correct directory. Perhaps you might wish to point it to a web address where the torrent file is located.

• September 29, 2008 at 3:40 am

I’ve tried 3 different torrent sites without any luck.
    But when I tried to download a torrent directly from piratebay it worked fine.

Problems because of passkeys and such?

Another question:
    I’ve search alot for a tutorial how to uninstall mldonkey but couldn’t find any. πŸ™‚

• September 30, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Linus,

To remove any package on fonz’s fun_plug, use the funpkg -r command

• September 30, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Dear all,

Due to the large amount of repeated questions. I’ve compiled the common problems into an FAQ.

Check out the MLDonkey FAQ

• October 7, 2008 at 11:02 pm

I try to set BT-max_bt_uploaders to value greater than 5 (default is 3) and it forces back to 3. I found that I can’t set value lower than 1 and higher than 5. In that case I was reset to default 3. How to rise this setting. I need minimum 15. I’ve experimented with lots of settings, but with no success. My max_upload_slots set to 30. What it may be the problem? Thank you in advance for any ideas.

• October 8, 2008 at 11:47 am

hi i encounter “permission denied” on

/mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i mldonkey-2.9.6-lite.tgz

any idea how to carry on?

thanks.

• October 8, 2008 at 2:44 pm

/mnt/HD_a2 # chmod a+x mldonkey-2.9.6-lite.tgz
    did you try this ?

• October 10, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Please, shadowandy,

Help with BT-max_bt_uploaders issue. Ive searched everything I could, but nothing found. It seems that this issue is DNS-323 specific.

• October 11, 2008 at 12:13 am

alpha,

I’ve tried mldonkey 2.9.6 for other operating systems (particularly for windows) and found out that BT-max_bt_uploaders cannot be set to a value greater than 5 as well. If you can, do try out mldonkey 2.9.6 for other operating systems and try to set BT-max_bt_uploaders to a value greater than 5. Do tell me if you have success doing so.

The issue is not specific to DNS-323.

• October 11, 2008 at 8:47 am

Hi Shadowandy,

First off, thanks for the great step-by-step guide on MLDONKEY. Was previously using the default BT client on my DNS-323.

So far everything’s good, though i’d never gotten DL speed above 20KBps.

Anyhow a strange problem i have had since day one was after sometime, the UL and DL will stay at 0.0 ie not uploading or downloading anything. Is there something wrong with my setting? Or is it BTJUNKIE putting a limit to my UL and DL?

To overcome this problem, i’ve to shutdown the DNS-323, wait for about 1min before restarting the DNS and mlnet.sh.

It’s rather annoying to find out in the morning that the DNS was on the whole night w/o DL anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks πŸ™‚

• October 11, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Thanks shadowandy for quick answer. I do not have any chance to try it on other operating system than windows, but if this is not specific to DNS-323 we can try to ask at mldonkey’s official forum. I’ve searched it, but it seems that no one has this issue (no threads about this). I’ll try to register here and ask. Thanks again.

• October 13, 2008 at 10:33 am

alpha,

I see. Hope there would be a patch released soon!

• October 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Sorry for posting twice…. πŸ™

• October 13, 2008 at 9:29 pm

alpha,

It is alright. πŸ™‚

Let’s hope for a bug fix!

• October 19, 2008 at 9:06 am

i got a error when i run the command. where can i get getopt?

# ./funpkg -i /mnt/HD_a2/mldonkey-2.9.6-lite.tgz
    ./funpkg: line 222: getopt: not found

• October 19, 2008 at 10:23 am

ehel,

You don’t need a ./ before the funpkg and run funpkg at the directory where the tgz file is located. Try to follow the instructions in the guide.

• October 23, 2008 at 12:48 am

Hi shadowandy,
    I’m now using SSH on my DNS-323, and decided to install mldonkey. I ask your help for the step “Configuring MLDonkey if you are running it for the first time”, once I dont have telnet enabled anymore. How can I do that on SSH with root user? I thank you in advance.

• October 23, 2008 at 9:22 pm

gmpassos,

You will still be able to telnet

• October 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm

hi, is there any way to boost the MLDonkey? I’m using version 2.9.6, but I just can connect to max = 3 servers (even i changed the setting for max server connection to 10 already).
    Besides, download rate is just about 1kb/s. Sometimes it can be 10+kb/s but most of the time it’s about 1 – 5kb/s.
    I don’t know how I can boost it, maybe more server may help. But I don’t know how I can connect to more servers.
    Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

• October 26, 2008 at 11:44 am

Thai Ngo,

For peer to peer applications, it really depends a lot on the seeders. On private sites I can pretty much hit the max of my adsl line.

• November 2, 2008 at 2:16 am

>I usually get the refuse after i shutdown the hard disk. I don’t know >why. So i have to reinstall the mldonkey then the system runs again.
    >When the problem occurs, i can’t telnet to 127.0.0.1 4000. It says that >the connection is refused. When i browse it with IE, it also says that the >connection is refused as well.
    >Can anyone help me? Thanks.

i have this problem too.

PS i use dns313 that is why i havent BT.
    PS 2 i use full version and directconnect only.

• November 4, 2008 at 1:31 am

ok it was my mistake. now i can connect to my hub. but i have other problem – i cant search and other people cant get my filelist.
    I have router – i think i must configure it.
    shadowandy, can u help me with it?

• November 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm

spycam,

You have to refer to your router’s manual to open a port.

• November 9, 2008 at 11:36 am

Hi Shadowplay,

I’m getting the connection refused too and I get from what I read here that maybe BT is the responsible for this. Is it? I should uninstall it? How do i do it? I’m the newbiest of the newbies on this (linux included).

I did the command you asked Livid and got this:

/ # ps | grep ../bt.
    1393 root ./btdog ./bt –daemon-loop
    1394 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1398 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1399 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1400 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1401 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1402 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    22982 root grep ../bt.

Thanks fot the help!

Daniel

PS: I did all the installation steps, like a good newbie πŸ™‚

• November 10, 2008 at 6:50 am

Ive installed MLD and it was running before but after some reboots on the NAS i tried to enter my webaccess and could’nt get in.

Now i noticed that mlnet.sh was not running and when i check status after i started mlnet.sh i get the following message:
    /ffp/start/mlnet.sh: line 39: mlnet_status: not found

trying to telnet 127.0.0.1 4000 i get the following message:
    telnet: cannot connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused

Anyone know what to do? I tried reinstalling. Only made changes with nzbget package.

• November 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Daniel,

Do uninstall the default BT. πŸ™‚

• November 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Seppie,

Do check if mlnet is running by doing a ps

• November 14, 2008 at 11:38 am

Okdok Shadow! I just need to find out how to do it…

Thanks!

• November 16, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Shadow,
    Sorry about bugging you again, but I canΒ΄t manage to delete the mnt/Nas_prog/BT folder in order to uninstall BT. I tried the chmod thing to give me access to the folder but it didnΒ΄t work. Do you have a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks!

Daniel

• December 1, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Hi, I have a problem that the MLDonkey can’t start after i restart the router without turning off the DNS 323.
    I’ve got this problem many times. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks.

• December 26, 2008 at 7:43 am

Hi! I’ve a Conceptronic CH3SNAS , and I would to install the mldonkey, but I can’t telnet my NAS. I’ve the message ” connection refused “. What can I do ?

Current Firmware Version : 1.04
    Firmware Date : 07/21/2008

Thanks!!

• December 28, 2008 at 11:05 am

giovanni,

You need to funplug your CH3SNAS.

• December 28, 2008 at 7:46 pm

thaks shadowandy! it’s works now… but I’ve another problem πŸ™‚

I’ve correctly installed mldonkey but when it’s up my tranfer rate (CH3SNAS—>VISTAsp1 ) down to 3mb/sec, until when the mldonkey it’s down the trasfer rate come back to 10 mb/sec.

I think that the problem is the occupancy of the CPU, infact it’s near the 100% !!!

And when i go to the web interface of mldonkey , this is very very slow…

Could you help me ?

Thanks!!!!

Giovanni

• January 1, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hi, I successfully installed MLDonkey and can download files. But after I added more than 50 downloads and leave it on for 12 hours then stop MLDonkey then I cannot start it anymore. In mlnet.log it stops update after the following line:

2008/12/31 23:03:20 [dMain] —- enabling Donkey —-

Can you give me some help?
    Thank you.

• January 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm

giovanni,

Perhaps you could disable services that you don’t use? Stuffs like itunes or ftpd can be disabled if you don’t use them. CH3SNAS isn’t a core2duo machine so it has its limitations.

• January 1, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Victor,

If you wish to download that much at any one time, I think it is better to get those HTPC as they come with better CPU and larger amount of RAM. You can’t take a scrape car and join F1 races with it.

• January 3, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Hi shadowandy! now it’s al perfect! thank you very much! I need only another information. in this moment i can download the torrent found on isohunt and mininova. how can I download the torrent from this website ? http://www.tntvillage.scambioetico.org/ .

when I paste the link of the torrent download, the mldonkey can’t find anything and the download don’t starts.

is possible to upload a file .torrent with the mldonkey ?

thank you very much and happy new year from Italy!!

Giovanni

• January 4, 2009 at 6:05 am

don’t worry… problem solved ! πŸ˜‰

bye bye

Giovanni

• January 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Dima,

As mentioned in the comments. I’ve addressed this issue by releasing the patched version since November 2008. Please use the patched version.