Transmission 1.42+ for DNS-323

5th Feb 2012 – Updated guide to install transmission 2.42
20th May 2011 – Updated guide to install transmission 2.31
10th September 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 2.04
16th March 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.92
23rd February 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.91
20th February 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.90
30th January 2010 – Updated guide with solution to fix problem when upgrading from 1.76 to 1.82/1.83
30th January 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.83
27th January 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.82
24th January 2010 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.80
25th November 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.76
26th August 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.74
20th July 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.73
23rd June 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.72
9th June 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.71
7th June 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.70
14th May 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.61
2nd May 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.52
28th Feb 2009 – Updated guide to install transmission 1.51
24th Feb 2009 – Updated the guide to install transmission 1.50

Decided to write this post as there are still users refering to the set up instructions for transmissionbt prior to 1.42. There has been some changes and therefore the previous guide’s instructions aren’t exactly correct now. By following the old guide, you would probably end up seeing the following:

401: Unauthorized
Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

Hence this guide aims to set up transmission from scratch. In this guide, I refer to the IP address of your NAS as A.B.C.D. Hence, in all occurrance of A.B.C.D, replace it with your NAS’s IP.

If you have followed the old set up guide “Transmission for DNS-313, DNS-323” just follow guide from the section on “Updating the whitelist” to complete the setup.

If you need to edit settings.json for the rpc-whitelist, you can check out the steps in the section “Updating the whitelist” in this guide.

Prerequisites

Ensure that you have fonz’s fun_plug 0.5 installed on your NAS. If you are using DNS-323 or DNS-343, follow the guide “Running fonz’s fun_plug (0.5) on DNS-323“. If you are running DNS-313, follow the guide “Running fonz’s fun_plug (0.5) on DNS-313” instead.

Once you have fonz’s fun_plug up and running. Carry on to the next section.

Installing uclibc

1. Click on Start -> Run
  2. Type “cmd” without the quotes and hit <Enter>
    A command prompt should appear
  3. Type the command “telnet A.B.C.D” into the command prompt and hit <Enter>
    You should be greeted by the command prompt “#”.
  4. Type the command “cd /mnt/HD_a2” and hit <Enter>
    The prompt should change to “/mnt/HD_a2 #”
  5. Type the command “wget http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages/uclibc-0.9.29-7.tgz” and hit <Enter>
    There should be a downloading process. Do not interrupt it and wait for the prompt to reappear
  6. Type the command “funpkg -i uclibc-0.9.29-7.tgz” and hit <Enter>
  7. Finally reboot the NAS using the command “reboot”
    The command prompt may end and close by itself

Wait for the NAS to be online before going to the next section.

Installing Transmission

1. Click on Start -> Run
  2. Type “cmd” without the quotes and hit <Enter>
    A command prompt should appear
  3. Type the command “telnet A.B.C.D” into the command prompt and hit <Enter>
    You should be greeted by the command prompt “#”.
  4. Type the command “cd /mnt/HD_a2” and hit <Enter>
    The prompt should change to “/mnt/HD_a2 #”
  5. Type the command “wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/ffp/0.5/curl-7.18.1.tgz” and hit <Enter>
  6. Type the command “wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/ffp/0.5/Transmission-2.42-1.tgz” and hit <Enter>
  7. Type the command “funpkg -i curl-7.18.1.tgz” and hit <Enter>
  8. Type the command “funpkg -i Transmission-2.42-1.tgz” and hit <Enter>
  9. Type the command “chmod a+x /ffp/start/transmission.sh;sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    There would be a message like starting transmission
  10. Type the command “sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop” and hit <Enter>
    There would be a message like stopping transmission
  11. Do not close the command prompt.

Updating the whitelist

In this section we would be adding your local lan IP range (A.B.C.*) to the whitelist. Assuming your NAS’s IP is 192.168.1.101, A.B.C.* would simply mean 192.168.1.* where the last group of number becomes asterix (*).

1. Go back to the command prompt
  2. Type the command “vi /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json” and hit <Enter>
  3. Shift the cursor using the arrow keys to the line with “rpc-whitelist”
  4. Hit the <End> key
    The cursor would shift to the end of the line containing “rpc-whitelist”
  5. Hit the left arrow key two times
    The cursor would shift onto the ” at the end of 127.0.0.1
  6. Hit the i key
    The “-” at the lower left hand corner of the command prompt would change to “I”. Hitting the <Esc> key would change it back to “-“.
  7. Ensure that “I” is at the lower left hand corner of the command prompt
  8. Type the following “,A.B.C.*” (remember to replace it according to the instructions at the start of this section)
    The entire line would read something like
    “rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*”,
  9. Hit the <Esc> key
  10. Hit the : key
    The symbol at the lower left hand corner of the command prompt would change to “:”
  11. Type the following “wq” and hit <Enter>
    The file would be saved and you will be returned to the prompt

Starting Transmission

1. Type the command “sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    There would be a message like starting transmission

Give it sometime for transmission to startup before proceeding to the next section.

Setting the download directory

1. Type the command “su nobody -c “mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads”
  2. Type the command “transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads
    There would be a message like success

It’s done! Direct your Internet browser to http://A.B.C.D:9091 for the transmission web user interface.

Upgrading from previous version of Transmission?

You can follow the instructions in this section if you are upgrading from a previous version of transmissionbt.

1. Telnet to your NAS by following the instructions for steps 1-3 in the section Installing uclibc
  2. Type the command “sh /ffp/start/transmission stop” and hit <Enter>
    There would be a message like stopping transmission if transmission is running
  3. Type the command “wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/ffp/0.5/Transmission-2.42-1.tgz” and hit <Enter>
    wget should be downloading the transmissionbt package
  4. Type the command “funpkg -u Transmission-2.42-1.tgz” and hit <Enter>
    There should be a message like removing the previous version and installing the new one
  5. Type the command “sh /ffp/start/transmission start” and hit <Enter>

Congratulations! Your transmission is upgraded.

Facing issues with Transmission?

Having issues with Transmission 1.82/1.83 after upgrading from 1.76?

Some of you may face problems connecting to the Transmission web interface after upgrading to 1.82/1.83 from 1.76. What you can do is remove the settings.json file. By doing so, you will lose the configuration for Transmission but not your downloaded data. Follow the following instructions to remove the file

2. Type the command “sh /ffp/start/transmission stop
    There would be a message like stopping transmission if transmission is running
  3. Type the command “mv /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json.old
    You have renamed the settings.json file to settings.json.old
  4. Follow the guide starting from section Installing Transmission until section Setting the download directory to install the latest transmissionbt

This would fix the common problems faced when users upgrade from 1.76 to 1.82/1.83.

248 thoughts on “Transmission 1.42+ for DNS-323

• January 13, 2009 at 10:36 pm

For some reason, this post cant display on my Interenet Exploerr. works fine on Firefox.

• January 14, 2009 at 12:40 am

Andy,

there seems to be a problem accessing your site via IE7, at least that is what I have tried.

• January 14, 2009 at 12:55 am

Hi Shadowandy,

Have you tried using Transmission Remote GUI
    This multiplatform app instead of the web interface?

Its much better, permits selecting files to download within a torrent, you can set priorities and set bandwidth on a per torrent basis.

Cheers!

• January 14, 2009 at 6:33 am

james & wenwei,

Seems like one of the WordPress plugin is giving the problem. Have disabled that plugin and it seems fine now.

Index Monkey,

Yeap! Been using it!

• January 15, 2009 at 9:20 am

Excuse me, shadowandy – i’d like to know if I install / chroot to debian, can I run iptables on DNS-323? How can I have iptables on it?

• January 15, 2009 at 11:19 am

Hi shadowandy,

there is new version of transmission released (1.50 beta 1)
    would you build it for us?

• January 16, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Isildur,

I don’t compile them anymore. KyleK is compiling them. I’m just updating a dated guide.

• January 17, 2009 at 7:43 am

Andy…Tried, and I’m getting:

wget: cannot connect to remote host : COnnection Refused

• January 17, 2009 at 11:54 am

Robbo,

Do check your internet connection. I’ve no problem getting the files.

• January 21, 2009 at 12:47 am

Using Transmission 1.42-1 on my DNS-313, with Transmission Remote GUI or Clutch and see my bitrate, is not stable
    If I DL/UL the same file on Transmission, or Utorrent, Utorrent is much faster and have less variations in DL/UL transfert.

Don’t understand, my transmission port is forwardding in transmission and marked open in my Router

Does someone have an idea?

Thx a lot for your tutorial who help me a lot.

• January 21, 2009 at 7:37 am

The directions helped a lot – got me farther than I was before.
    Unfortunately, I can only connect to the Web interface for a few minutes before it seems like the Transmission daemon crashes, and the interface goes down.
    Via telnet, I can’t see anything Transmission related when i ps -a, leading me to again think that the daemon is crashing.
    Anyone have similar experiences or advice?

• January 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm

hey acnicklas…the initial release of transmission 1.42 had this weird issue in the code where it called some assert command. Basically Transmission kept shutting down everytime I used the WebGui. Not sure if it also happens on the command line. I ended up just using an older version of Transmission waiting until a stable release comes out and KyleK compiles a version for the DNS-323

• January 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Just wanted to give a big thanks to ShadowAndy for this Guide.
    I am long time Windows user but completely new to Linux. Followed this guide to the letter (well cut and paste, it was pretty easy) and it worked like a charm!

Also a thanks to Index Monkey for suggesting using the Transmission Remote GUI, I got this working also and it is fantastic. (much better than the Web Interface)

Now I am working on figuring out permissions and such as I (on my pc with a mapped drive on the 323) don’t seem to have write permissions into the directories created by Transmission… so much to learn, ah the fun of it all!

• January 29, 2009 at 6:41 am

Northern Paladin,

You are welcome. 🙂

Permission settings you can pretty much google it. Learn about the different user groups and write, read, execute bits.

• January 30, 2009 at 8:01 am

Thanks for the link to the updated version and information about the install.

One thing that took a while for me to figure out – having already installed Transmission 1.34 – was that the “funpkg -i Transmission…” command wouldn’t work (reporting that it was already installed).

It seems obvious in retrospect, but – for others who might be confused – the trick was to just run “funpkg -u Transmission-1.42-1.tgz” instead, to force the upgrade.

• February 2, 2009 at 8:35 am

shadowandy ,

Another excellent guide!! Thanks..

I am not trying Transmission. Nicer interface. Let’s see if it works 🙂

When I uploaded my first torrent, it showed up in the list, and then I got a popup saying “Could not connect to server, you may need the page to reconnect”

Then I think Transmission crashes! I have to start it again. If I look in the log file I see:

Flushed.Away.Trailer.720P: Couldn’t read resume file
    Flushed.Away.Trailer.720P: Queued for verification
    Flushed.Away.Trailer.720P: Verifying torrent
    Flushed.Away.Trailer.720P: Got 17 peers from tracker
    Couldn’t create “//Flushed.Away.Trailer.720P”: Permission denied
    /ffp/bin/transmission-daemon: bandwidth.c: 428: tr_bandwidthUsed: Assertion `tr_isBandwidth( b )’ failed.

Flushed.Away.Trailer.720P is the torrent file name…

Did we miss to chmod any folder during the instructions?

When are you releasing a guide for the Transmission? Thanks 🙂

Thanks…

• February 2, 2009 at 9:40 am

shadowandy,

Figured it out 🙂 Default location was “/”. I just put in a proper path, and chmod it to 777…. That worked.

My only comment is that transmission crashed a lot… Looking forward for the new version.

Thanks…

• February 3, 2009 at 6:08 am

Guys,

Is anyone noticing that Transmission is great in downloading, but h ardly any downloading happening!?! I hardly see any download even though one of my torrents has 611 peerss??

I have set it up for 50kb/s upload!

Thanks.

• February 5, 2009 at 9:32 am

finally i got a decent speed with transmission.. i give up on mldonkey and tried transmission.. u have no idea how many times i’ve re-installed mldonkey and ffp and finally it paid off with this guide. thank you.. =)

• February 5, 2009 at 9:51 am

Shidi,

MLDonkey comes default with IPFilter to make P2P safer. It blocks out certain nasty IP ranges which the default installation of Transmission doesn’t provide.

Some people swear by IPFilter to block out anti-p2p companies. Hence the speed is a trade off.

And Transmission doesn’t do other p2p protocols such as edonkey. 🙂

• February 5, 2009 at 10:55 am

alamak then transmission cannot add ipfilter?
    mldonkey so much trouble after load miserable dwnld speed.. kaoz…
    and the build in bt client in dns 323 also same like transmission w/o ip filter..

• February 5, 2009 at 11:13 am

Shidi,

You can add in ipfilter. Search around. If I am not wrong, I have written the guide for blocklist downloading and adding blocklist support to Transmission.

• February 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

RPC Server: Serving RPC and Web requests on port 9091
    RPC Server: Whitelist enabled
    Loaded 2 torrents
    Timbuktu 8.6: Got 17 peers from tracker
    MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.6.pkg.zip: Got 12 peers from tracker
    Port Forwarding: Opened port 51413 to listen for incoming peer connections
    Searching for web interface file “/home/nobody/.local/share/transmission/web/javascript/transmission.js”
    Searching for web interface file “/ffp/share/transmission/web/javascript/transmission.js”
    Invalid socket argument

Help !!!!!!!

• February 15, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Andy, seem i made some mistake…

i tried to tape the command: “vi /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json”

and I have got the following:

whole screen of such simbols

~
    ~
    ~
    – /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json 1/1 100% – at the end of screen

Please, help me to find out what I made wrongly.
    THX,
    Andrey

• February 24, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Hi shadowandy thanks for the guide to setup transmission on dns-323 😀 without this guide i think is totally impossible for me to set it up! all the command are so alien to me..

Btw can i check with you is it normal for transmission preferences setting to reset everytime i reboot/shutdown my dns-323?

• February 25, 2009 at 7:13 am

andre,

You are welcome :).

Transmission’s preferences should persist across reboots.

• February 25, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Hi.
    I have just bought a DNS-323 and installed Fun_Plug on it. I have tried to install transmission but it do not seem to work. I can login to Transmission via both the WebGui and clutch… I can add torrents but just when they start the server disconnect and say “Connection failed”. What could be the problem. I have also tried Transmission remote gui and I can log in, add torrent but as soon as it is supposed to start downloading it says “Connection refused”. The thing is that I can see all the stats about the torrent, seeders, leachers etc.

I am very new to this so plz be gentle.. 😉

• February 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Thanks alot Shadowandy !!!
    btw, i noticed the download directory was defauted at a different location,
    I changed it to my original pre-1.42 transmission settings
    “download-dir”: “\/mnt\/HD_a2\/ABC”

where ABC was my torrent directory on the dns323 volume. I got clutch to work right now, verifying the partial downloaded data now…

• February 27, 2009 at 6:02 pm

hi andy, great post. however it would be great if you could have a tutorial for setting up DDNS for dns-323 so users can access it at work. cant find any guide on that online and if there is, it isnt that comprehensive enough for ppl that arent tech savvy.

• March 8, 2009 at 9:40 am

I’ve also tried getting the latest transmission via wget, but getting connection refused.

• March 8, 2009 at 3:32 pm

ling & Kim,

The website belongs to the guy who packaged transmission for DNS-323. Perhaps you can check this out.

• March 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi I am getting this erro rmsg.

root@DNS-323:/mnt/HD_a2# funpkg -i transmission_1.51.tgz
    FATAL: transmission_1.51.tgz: /ffp not found in package

Can someone give me some advise?

• March 16, 2009 at 8:53 am

Andy, this post is fantastic, thanks for putting it up and maintaining it. I am having the same issue Kim reported with Connection refused for the Curl and Transmission library files from Kyle’s site. I was able to get the Transmission file from the alternate site you provided 2 posts up, but can’t find an alternate site for the Curl files. The main curl web site has a lot of different versions for different platforms. Any chance you could provide an alternate link for that library that works with the DLink?
    Thanks again

• March 18, 2009 at 12:02 am

I’ve that problem, at after 5 sek dl. Transmission say’s “no such fil or diectory”

I have made a download directory “/Volumes/Volume_1/Download”, but It will not accept it under perferences in >Transmission Web Interface..

My NAS is a DNS-323 fw 1.6

Plz help, is confuse

• March 18, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Stryx,

Volume_1 is actually /mnt/HD_a2. So if I want the transmission to download to a folder “download” in Volume_1 (Volume_1/download), it is actually /mnt/HD_a2/download.

Hope it helps.

• March 18, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Thx for the help, men I get the same messages even with /mnt/HD_a2/download i preferences… I just can’t see what I’m doing wrong here 🙁

Linux isn’t my strong side 🙁

• March 18, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Thx for the help, but I get the same messages even with /mnt/HD_a2/download in preference. And the mappe do exist… I just can’t see what I’m doing wrong here

Linux isn’t my strong side

• March 21, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Hi
    i have the same problem the web interface gave me and error after a few secs of downloading “no such file or directory”
    and the preference setting is mnt/HD_a2/Downloads/

my setting file in /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json
    is showing
    “download-dir”: “mnt\/HD_a2\/Downloads\/”

but if i use transmission-daemon -d command
    it shows “download-dir”: “\/\/Downloads”,

please advice.

btw i have successfully installed MLdonkey and it worked,
    i don’t think there is something wrong with the network settings

• March 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Hakushi,

it is /mnt/HD_a2/Downloads instead of mnt/HD_a2/Downloads

• April 23, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I was tryig to setup clutch with transmission 1.51.
    Things were fine till the point where i have to point the link to transmission socket.

echo “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/daemon/socket” > /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages/clutch/remote/data/socket.txt

In this version of transmission 1.51 (using Kylek’s compiled version), there is no socket file.

My transmission home directory is /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon.

There is also no “-s” option to create the socket from /ffp/start/transmission-daemon. For e.g. -> http://linux.die.net/man/1/transmission-daemon

The end result cause Clutch to prompt for transmission daemon when clutch is launched.

Can I know if you manage to get Clutch to work with Transmission 1.51 (using Kylek file)?

• April 25, 2009 at 11:25 am

camelbak75,

The standard installation comes with Clutch. Why do you want to install it again?

• May 2, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Hey shadowandy,

Keep up the good work! I’m a newbie & your instructions were even clear enough for me to get Transmission running…Many thanks to u!

• May 4, 2009 at 4:25 am

Hi!
    I’ve installed transmission and it’s working fine until I’m going to download files bigger than 300Mb.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there any solution?

Small files dowload very fast and I would love to do it whith bigger ones too.

Thanks! (and thanks for this small guide! ;-))

• May 5, 2009 at 8:36 am

Shadowandy,

I have followed the instructions here and it works great. thanks. What I have installed was 1.51
    Are there any instructions on how to upgrade it to 1.52?

thanks

• May 10, 2009 at 1:42 am

To upgrade, just download the 1.52 file and re-run funpkg, basically:

# Type the command “wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/Transmission-1.52.tgz” and hit
    # Type the command “funpkg -i Transmission-1.52.tgz” and hit

But I noticed that transmission 1.60 is out, any one knows when/where we get that built for our nas?

• May 23, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hi Shadowandy,

I have upgraded Transmission from 1.51 to 1.61. How do I know the upgrade when successfully? There is no version number on the WebUI to confirm.

Regards

• May 25, 2009 at 9:46 am

badduck,

You have to check it using transmission-remote through shell.

• May 26, 2009 at 11:33 am

Andy,
    I could not get the same response when i “vi /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json”.
    I have got the following response back, seems like the file is empty

~
    ~
    ~
    – /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json 1/1 100% – at the end of screen

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Alex

• May 27, 2009 at 12:25 am

Ok Never mind I got it to work liao. Somehow in my setup the correct path for the setting.json file is on HD_a4 not HD_a2

“vi /mnt/HD_a4/.transmission-daemon/settings.json”

• May 27, 2009 at 6:38 am

Alex,

Are you using DNS-313?

• May 31, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Hi Andy,
    Yes I’m using DNS 313. Although i think i have finish setting up, I’m not able to download anything. I’m using Transmission 1.61 and the Transmission Remote GUI. I can see that after I click start that it sort of talk to and find out the no. of seed and download would begin but would stop almost immediately with error message “no such file of directory”

• May 31, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Alex,

Make you have have set up the directory which transmission can download to. And also make sure the directory can be written by user “nobody”

• May 31, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Andy,
    You may be right, as I can ping outside world from the DNS. Can you tell me how do I check the directory permission and how do i change it assuming it was because of permission issues.

Thanks!

Alex

• June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Alex,

Think we managed to solve your problem over email a few days back right?

• June 5, 2009 at 8:48 am

Hi Andy,

I upgraded from 1.42 to 1.61 using the 1.61 from the link you gave.

What I did was

1. “funpkg -r Transmission-1.42-1.tgz”
    2. “”funpkg -i Transmission-1.61-1.tgz”

uninstall and install was successful, and can see from transmission-remote that its now running 1.61.

However, once I add in any torrents to download, it will tell me “no such file or directory” on the Web UI.

I have “chmod 0755 -R /mnt/HD_a2/torrents” (where /mnt/HD_a2/torrents is the directory for my downloads.

I have also changed the download directory in settings.json to “\/torrents”

Interestingly, all old torrents which were not completed earlier (before the upgrade), are still downloading fine after verifying.

Anyone has any idea what the problem might be?

Oh, there is also sufficient HD space. I have at least 300GB left and the file I am downloading is less than 1GB.

• June 5, 2009 at 8:56 am

just to add on.

my /mnt/HD_a2/torrents and /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon directory can all be written by nobody.

infact, even when I changed the permission of /mnt/HD_a2/torrents to permission 777, same thing happens – i.e. No such file or directory

and in settings.json, I have tried some variations like “\/torrents”, “\/torrents\/”, “\/torrents\”, “\/torrents/”.

And everytime before I change anything, I will stop transmission first, change the settings, reboot, then once up, check the settings again to make sure that its running the new settings, and then run the torrent from the Web UI.

Unfortunately, non is working.

• June 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Can’t wait for 1.7. It finally appears to support DHT!
    Can I beg? please pretty please!

• June 7, 2009 at 10:59 am

hangyong,

Try setting the download directory either through the clutch interface or use the “transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/torrents” command.

• June 7, 2009 at 11:22 am

Marko,

Check out the guide. It was been updated for 1.70

• June 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Thanks shadowandy! That was quick!

• June 8, 2009 at 9:27 am

Marko,

Not me. I think KyleK heard your request. 🙂

• June 9, 2009 at 11:23 am

Hey all, great tutorial and tips. I could use some help though. I am running 1.70.2, and after a certain period of time downloading a torrent, the webgui locks up and i am no longer able to watch whats going on. The LAN light on the dns323 continues to blink, so i would assume that the download continues. I am also able to ping and stop/restart the daemon. But without forcing a reboot, i am not able to get the webui back. I am a little new to this, can someone give me a hand? I ran a (what was it?) strace i think, and it stops…i would attach the strace log but i dont think i can here?

• June 19, 2009 at 3:44 am

No biggie but the title of the article could be updated to reflect the version change – i.e. 1.7 and no longer 1.42.

Thanks heaps for this information, I’ve had a DNS-323 for a while and have emigrated so am waiting for the ship to arrive – it’s in the container!

I’ll be giving this a go when it arrives – fingers crossed 🙂

Darren

• June 24, 2009 at 4:51 am

So I have my DNS-323 with 2 mirrored 1TB drives in it, running 1.05 firmware on the NAS.

I copy fun_plug to volume_1 and boot, no telnet.

Is the HD_a2 still correct if the drives are in RAID 1 / mirrored config?

I have tried editing the fun_plug.sh file to HD_a1 and still no go.

Any thoughts anyone? Keen to see Transmission going, the standard client on the DNS won’t even add a torrent file to download! 🙁

Darren

• June 24, 2009 at 11:44 am

Darren,

The files are “fun_plug” and “fun_plug.tgz”. Most of the problem arises when user save them wrongly as “fun_plug.sh” and “fun_plug.html”

• June 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm

thanks for the guide shadowandy! everything is fine until the part where one has to edit the settings.json.
    appears that is is full of
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~

have i done anything wrong? Thanks in advance.

• June 24, 2009 at 8:44 pm

ty,

Make sure you have started Transmission at least once (as mentioned in the guide). It should create settings.json automatically.

• June 24, 2009 at 8:46 pm

hmmm just did ‘ls’..my settings.json is not in /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon!! where could it be?!! sorry i just started messing arnd with my dns-343 so pardon me for my ignorance..

• June 24, 2009 at 8:50 pm

ok shadowandy! i got it! thanks..i did not start it at first.

• June 24, 2009 at 9:19 pm

hi shadowandy..sry to bother again =X i followed your instructions and checked again and again whether my nas’s ip is added to the whitelist

“rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168.0.100”,

with 192.168.0.100 being my nas’s ip. still when i keyed http://192.168.0.100:9091/ into my web browser, i still get

403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

Any thing that i missed out?

I did kill transmission before i altered whitelist.

• June 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

hi shadowandy,

I have also changed “rpc-whitelist-enabled”: true, to “rpc-whitelist-enabled”: false,

didnt seem to work either…hmm…appreciate it if u can drag me outta this mess =)

thanks in advance!

• June 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm

ty,

according to the guide, the whitelisted ip you should enter is 192.168.0.* instead of your nas ip of 192.168.0.100

• June 24, 2009 at 9:43 pm

hi shadowandy..thank you so much! it works beautifully now!

• June 27, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Hi Shadow,

I tried your suggestion, but it did not help.

However, interestingly, after upgrading to 1.72, all is well… funny

Thanks!

• June 27, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Hi shadowandy, thanks for the guide.

• July 5, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I juz installed Transmission 1.72, but I keep getting this error

parent folder “/home/nobody/Downloads” does not exist

Can guide me how to troubleshoot it?

Zed

• July 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm

hi Andy,

I think I got it figure out, Thx for the great guide given!

Zed

• July 9, 2009 at 11:32 am

Hi Andy,

Right now my Transmission is running smoothly, but when I’m accessing the DNS-343, either by streaming or copying files, do you experience connection being cut-off after about 10sec? it seems like while Transmission is downloading, I cant access the DNS-343 much.

Zed

• July 11, 2009 at 9:11 am

Zed, what exactly did you do? I have the same error, and realize that it’s because indeed, the directory does not exist.

But – what is the best way to sort it out? What sort of permissions does it need, for example? Is the correct directory:

/mnt/HD_a2/home/nobody/downloads? or

A.B.C.D/home/nobody/downloads?

I will try to sort it out, and update this post, but if you’re still around, Zed, please send along a clue.

Cheers,

e.

• July 11, 2009 at 9:24 am

OK – it just took two minutes scanning higher in the comments here.
    All I had to do was create a folder:
    /mnt/HD_a2/downloads (e.g.) and point Clutch’s preferences to it.

This is my second install of clutch, the first worked for over a year, then I updated h/drives – and lost all the data on two drives.

I’m now trying to recover the data, and in the meantime, installing the Transmission again was so so easy this time. But I am unclear about the what is secure or otherwise. For example, I was able to create the folder from windows without authentication, so my dns 322 is apparently wide open (at least from within my lan, not sure about http, e.g.).

Anyway, thanks again to Andy (bought a coffee last time).

e.

• July 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm

v1.73 just got released

• July 30, 2009 at 9:23 am

Great work, all of you who have offered help here!

I have a small problem. I have Transmission Web Interface working, and hauling torrents for me. The other day, however, I had to reboot the device and lost all contact with it. I managed to get it back up and running, and my existing torrents were working (after waiting some time to verify the files).

However, now any new torrents that I add get Paused, then if I resume them, they run for a moment then come back with “Permission denied”. They are pointing to the same folder as the existing torrents.

Any ideas?

“proxy-type”: 0,
    “ratio-limit”: 2.0000,
    “ratio-limit-enabled”: false,
    “rpc-authentication-required”: true,
    “rpc-bind-address”: “0.0.0.0”,
    “rpc-enabled”: true,
    “rpc-password”: “(we’ll leave this part out!)”,
    “rpc-port”: 9091,
    “rpc-username”: “Jeff”,
    “rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168.*.*”,
    “rpc-whitelist-enabled”: true,
    “speed-limit-down”: 100,
    “speed-limit-down-enabled”: false,
    “speed-limit-up”: 100,
    “speed-limit-up-enabled”: false,
    “umask”: 18,
    “upload-slots-per-torrent”: 10
    }

If it helps… I have never been able to get the Transmission remote gui to work either. Again, permission errors (“Connection Refused”).

Thanks!

• August 3, 2009 at 12:37 am

Well, I came downstairs this morning to find that I no longer have permission to any of my downloads. I chown’d the folders to my name, but I am still unable to resume any of my previous downloads.

I really doubt that I’ll ever buy a D-Link product again…

• August 3, 2009 at 5:23 am

After several attempts, CHOWN finally resolved my permissions issue. So my two complaints above are resolved. Not sure why the permissions fell apart in the first place, though.

I think, given the multitude of other issues that I’m having with the DNS-323 that I’m going to spend the next couple of days copying out the data on it and reformat the drives. Hopefully this will let me get past some of the bigger problems that I’m having with this NAS box.

Keep up the good work on this site, it’s been helpful!

• August 4, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Cranky,

Some users run into permission problem. Don’t really know what has been done. Did you accidentally recursively set the permission for /* ?

• August 5, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for the guide!
    Got Transmission up, but not running exactly… Being a Linux illiterate, I’m not sure what’s meant by /mnt/HD_a2/ ?
    The 323 is mapped as drive X in WindowsXP so I guess I’m not seeing the same names as in Linux. I’ve used this to set the download folder – transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/Downloads – and it reported success, but the web gui still says “no such file or directory”. I set the same location in the web gui preferences.
    Where should I have that folder? At the moment it’s in the root of X. Is that right?

• August 5, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Ginch,

Make sure you have Downloads folder in your Volume_1.

• August 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Andy,
    Thanks – that’s where it is, but I’m still getting “no such file or directory”.
    Any ideas?

• August 6, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Ginch,

Make sure the folder is writable by transmission (nobody).

• August 7, 2009 at 12:59 am

Can anyone tell me if the proxy works on transmission….. I swear it doesn’t. I’ve added these settings.

“proxy”: “canada.btguard.com”,
    “proxy-auth-enabled”: true,
    “proxy-auth-password”: “foo”,
    “proxy-auth-username”: “bah”,
    “proxy-enabled”: true,
    “proxy-port”: 1025,
    “proxy-type”: 2,

• August 9, 2009 at 9:36 am

With the older version of transmission, it was open to connections from the internet by default. I don’t see any discussion of doing that – is it unsafe to allow connections from anywhere, to a given port (e.g. 9091 in this case)?

If it is ok to do this, should I just ‘disable’ the rpc-whitelist? Would that allow connections from anywhere? I would of then password protect access to the application as described above.

I ask because I’m going to a friends just now, and wanted to connect to transmission from there without getting his ip addy beforehand.

Rgds,

e.

• August 13, 2009 at 6:54 pm

epiphanius,

Just use a wildcard to whitelist all IP

• August 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm

i have problem downloading using the dns 313. the download will start for a initially and then it will stop at certain percentage, eg it download until 48% and then it does not seem to download anymore.

what could be the problem?

• August 17, 2009 at 6:48 pm

fishball,

Does it happen to every torrent or only a particular one?

• August 18, 2009 at 11:03 am

it happens to every torrent. my friend had the same problem too. when i use the torrent on my PC it manage to download without any problem.

the torrents will also flutuate within a certain percentage. eg you see that it is 48.7% now and then a few hours later when you check again you see that it is 46% as a result the download almost never complete.

• August 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm

fishball,

How big are the torrents? Honestly, I’ve yet to encounter such problems myself so I could not advise on that. Probably can look at the transmission log to see if there are any errors.

• August 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm

andy,

i observe that the problematic torrents their downloading arrow are red in color. also they have problem connecting to tracker.

i am downloading three file each abt 1 gb. could it be that i am downloading too many at the same time and the nas couldn’t take it?

• August 22, 2009 at 5:06 pm

i tried downloading open office and it works fine. so i think the problem lies with the torrent…

• August 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm

fishball,

Glad that you managed to find that it is the problem of the torrent. Some unhealthy torrents will take a long time to complete.

• August 23, 2009 at 10:18 am

“Just use a wildcard to whitelist all IP”

Thanks, Andy.

e.

• August 26, 2009 at 1:29 am

Hi fishball and Andy,
    I’m having the same problem with my DNS313 running on transmission 1.72. I can download to about 2GB done and then it just fluctuates. I stop or remove other torrents and it seems that helps and now it can reach about 2.5GB complete out of 3.8GB. But the problem returns, i.e. hovers around 2.5GB downloads completed. Any ideas? I can send you the torrent to see if you encounter the same problem.

• August 26, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Alex,

Try torrents like openoffice or ubuntu see if it completes. It could be issues with torrents instead of transmission.

• August 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm

epiphanius

how to do a whitelist to all ip?

andy

if its the torrent problem, why is it that i don’t encounter the problem with the same torrent when i download it on my pc using utorrent?

• August 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

fishball,

The number of seeders/peers you connect to in transmission is much lesser than the number you connect to in PC. Try to download only 1 torrent at a time and it may complete.

The NAS is an underpowered device (limited memory and cpu resource) hence you cannot assume it will connect to that many peers to complete a single torrent. In P2P, the files are actually chopped into parts and whether you can complete the torrent depends on whether the peer you connect to have the part you want. Hence, a full fledged computer may connect to 100 peers effortlessly and hence have a greater chance of forming the complete torrent. On the other hand, a NAS might not have the resource to connect to that 100 peers at one time to complete the torrent.

Hope it helps. 🙂

• August 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm

andy,

thanks for your help. 🙂

• September 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Dear shadowandy,

can You please give me an information how loud DND-343 can be?

I was reading on the Synology summary page(http://www.synology.com/enu/products/compare_spec.php), that the concurrenting product to my DNS-343 (the DS-409) should be around 23 dBa. How loud goes the D-Link product, if You know about?

Many many thank in advance!

Tamas, from Germany, Munich

• September 1, 2009 at 7:42 pm

vasgyuszi,

I think you have to search online for the information. 🙂

• September 3, 2009 at 5:22 am

Dear shadowandy,

that’s the point why I’m asking you, because I didn’t found any information/test/review about the loudness of this product.

Thanks,
    Tamas

• September 4, 2009 at 7:34 am

vasgyuszi,

I think you can obtain such information through D-Link or find someone with testing equipments to measure the loudness of the unit during operations.

• September 10, 2009 at 9:20 am

Absolutely fantastic !! Thanks
    the lines –

Setting the download directory
    1. Type the command “su nobody -c “mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads”“
    came back with a error message but I just created the folder myself and it’s up and running.

Was using the BT prog that comes with the DNS-323 but most torrents it wouldn’t add due to — invalid torrent ?
    So used your prog & setup and now all happy.

Also added the port 51413 (found in the transmission settings file) to my Router and now downloads coming in & sharing at great speeds ..

Once again Thanks !!

• September 10, 2009 at 10:49 am

vasgyuszi,
    Regarding the “loudness” of your DNS-343 –
    If your talking about the fan being on all the time making the noise, d-link has new firm-ware for some models that will stop or slow the fan down depending on temperature.
    My DNS-323 fan was always going full bore when i set it up, til i added the latest firm-ware, now it turns it’s self off most the time – much quieter.

• September 25, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Hi ShadowAndy,

Is there any links where I can uninstall everything, e.g funplugz, transmission, etc. Think I have made a mess but I do not want to format my HDD with data on it. Wanna a cleanboot and start all over again…

Thanks.

• October 3, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Hi ShadowAndy,

I have problem in downloading torrent using transmission. I know I followed each steps of the instructions in installing transmission. I have not encountered problem except not being able to download. I tried using Vuze and successfully downloaded that same torrent to ensure the torrent is working.

Please help me also in resolving this. Thanks…

• October 5, 2009 at 9:50 pm

rootsntips,

What is the error message you got?

• October 6, 2009 at 8:19 am

ShadowAndy,

I don’t see any error message on the screen. Do you know where I can check it?

• October 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hi Andy,

I have a query here, right now, I’m using Transmission 1.72 on my Dlink 343.
    Would it affect my files and settings on the downloadings if I upgrade to Transmisssion 1.74? I have two 1TB set to JBOD.

Zed

• October 7, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Zed,

It shouldn’t affect your files.

• October 8, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Hi Andy,

Thx. I have already upgrade it. Everything seems working. So with this funplug, any upgrading would not affect the rest right? for example, if I’m going to add another 1TB to the current two 1TB hdds? Thx again.

Zed

• October 11, 2009 at 9:30 am

rootsntips,

There is a transmission log file. You need to telnet/ssh to view it.

• November 25, 2009 at 11:49 am

Transmission 1.76 is available. Is it possible to update this guide?
    Thanks.

Zed

• November 26, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Zed,

Updated the guide. 🙂

• December 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Hello Guys and Girls,

Could somebody be so kind and send me the Transmission-1.76-1.tgz binary?
    Unfortunately Kylek’s site is not working lately and the dns-323 version is nowhere else to be found on the web. 🙁

Thanks in advance
    T

toxxiq at gmail dot com

• December 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm

toxxiq,

I don’t face problem with the site. Do check your connection.

• December 13, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Hi Andy,

I’m stuck with this “wget: bad address ‘www.inreto.de'”
    the site is down?

• December 13, 2009 at 7:06 pm

alvin,

I can access the site. Do check your connection.

• December 14, 2009 at 2:05 am

andy,

I suspect is my dns 323 not connecting to the internet cause the built in BT is no working as well. Was using Starhub before changing to Mio. Any idea about 2wire firewall?

• December 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Andy,

i managed to figure the problem but now come this:

403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

• December 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Alvin,

It is mentioned in the guide under the section Updating the whitelist.

• December 15, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Andy,

I already followed the guide.

“rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*”,
    “rpc-whitelist-enabled”: true,

and this is the only error i remember:

/mnt/HD_a2 # sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    Starting transmission-daemon
    /mnt/HD_a2 # su nobody -c b mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads
    bmkdir: No such file or directory

• December 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Alvin,

make sure u type the command as mentioned in the guide.

• December 21, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Problem with permissions, here is what transmission-daemon.log reads

“/ffp/bin/transmission-daemon: Permission denied”

permissions for transmission-daemon are 0777
    my download folder is 777
    settings.json 644
    transmission-daemon.sh 777

can’t figure out what part of the system is complaining about permissions.

the ownership for all files is nobody:501 (not sure what 501 group is, or it matters being that all my files have user permissions)

Any ideas?

• December 21, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Brad,

What are the steps you did to install transmission?

• December 22, 2009 at 10:43 am

Hey shadowandy, I used the above guide. I’m all fixed now…

still couldn’t track down the permissions issue, so I funpkg -r Curl + Transmission then installed again, this time no permissions issue. Very strange.

• January 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hi Andy,

Firstly a big thank you for the wonderful guide.

i am having the same problems as Ginch.
    i dont see any download folder created in my drive even thru i follow your guide.

read your answer as “Make sure the folder is writable by transmission (nobody)”
    how to i created the folder to be read by tranmission?
    i have try creating the folder but it still give me the same error

appreciated the help

acid

Thanks for the guide!

Ginch August 5th, 2009 at 7:03 pm

• January 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm

acid,

The folder should be created in Volume_1\ and writable by the transmission process. If you follow the guide, the downloads will all be at transmission-downloads folder in Volume_1

• January 3, 2010 at 11:33 pm

hi andy,

i have it figure out after i change the web gui preference
    from mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads
    to mnt/HD_a2/downloads

once again thanks for the guide

• January 20, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I’ve installed transmission 1.76 and have downloaded a few files with it already. I’ve restarted it not too long ago and now, i can’t access it by remote gui or by internet browser (connection timed out).

When I look at the settings.json, the configuration is fine. But when I use “transmission-daemon -d”, it doesn’t show the same configuartion as settings.json, it looks like a default configuration.

• January 21, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’ve found out that the config file used when launched by :
    /ffp/start/transmission.sh start

is in fact in the root user home directory :
    /home/root/.config/transmission-daemon

• January 22, 2010 at 8:26 am

chiny,

I am using 1.76 (the one in the link). The transmission home still points to /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon. It only changes to /home/root/.config/transmission-daemon if you invoke transmission-daemon manually (e.g. transmission-daemon -d) without using /ffp/start/transmission.sh

Hope you realized you have unintentionally start transmission without using transmission.sh and hence it doesn’t read the settings.json as mentioned in the guide.

• January 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

Yeah, I’ve figured it out.
    But when I start transmission manually, I was able to access the webGUI and the remote gui.

I solved my problem by deleting the content of “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/resume”
    Once started, I was able to access the GUI and transmission verified every torrents I had.

Hope this will help someone else ^^

• February 5, 2010 at 10:21 am

Hey, can anyone hit kylek.is-a-geek.org? I’ve been trying to download curl-7.18.1.tgz and Transmission 1.83 all day and can’t get through:

/mnt/HD_a2 # wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/curl-7.18.1.tgz
    Connecting to kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337 (91.14.141.127:31337)
    wget: cannot connect to remote host (91.14.141.127): Connection timed out

The DNS-323 seized up on me so I did a reboot, and somehow lost all of my settings. Weeks of downloads may be lost! After editing the settings.json file I got hit with the dreaded “No such file or directory”.

I’m unable to download these two files for a reinstall. I can’t even hit the website with a browser.

Anybody else able to hit it?

• February 6, 2010 at 3:10 am

Had a bit of a crash yesterday, but it’s now resolved. I post what happened here in case anyone else runs into it.

It started with Transmission acting up. Under each file in the list was the error “Too many files open”. I rebooted the DNS-323, but that seemed to make the situation worse. Once I finally got the device back up, all of my torrents were showing “No such file or directory”. Going to my download folder via Explorer showed that the files were still there, but Transmission didn’t like them. All torrents, including completed ones, were showing 0% completion.

To make things worse, I can not download from kylek.is-a-geek.org, so upgrading Transmission is out of the question for now.

settings.json was ok, as well as ports, bandwidth, yada, yada, yada. Everything should be working, but I had a dozen frozen torrents. I could not “verify local data”. Any attempts at Resuming the transfers would give the appearance of working for about ten seconds, then go back to “No such file or directory”.

Playing with ownerships, groups, permissions, etc. via Telnet got me nowhere.

Apparently I’m not the only guy who has had this problem, but unfortunately the fixes I found online didn’t help anything.

I did find, however, that I could add a new torrent and it would transfer fine. So Transmission is still working, just existing torrents are frozen.

Long story short, using ls -la via Telnet showed that the frozen torrents had the same permissions as the working new torrents. However I could not delete the frozen torrents from the download folder. I could copy them out without any problems, and work with the copies on my XP client.

After tearing through various forums (where would we be without Andy and Kyle?), I was able to get my torrents running again by:

1) finding the .torrent files in \.transmission-daemon\torrents then copying them to my client’s desktop
    2) going through the torrent list in Transmission and doing a “Remove from List” for each frozen torrent ( -not- “Trash Data and Remove from List”)
    3) Opening up each of the .torrent files from the desktop in Transmission and re-adding the torrents to the list. When you do this, you should see “Verifying local data” as Transmission sees the existing partial downloads.

Right now I’m waiting for the “verifying local data” to run its course, but so far it looks good. If anything new pops up, I’ll report back here.

• February 7, 2010 at 10:21 am

Hi Cranky,

For the part on not able to connect to remote host, you got to check your Internet connection. Noticed that some users are not able to connect to non-standard ports (e.g. port 31337/tcp instead of 80/tcp).

Hope your method of removing .torrent then re-adding them solves your hanging issue. For me, I simply deleted the settings.json file, ran transmission. The hanging went away.

• February 9, 2010 at 4:00 am

Thanks for your advice on the hanging issue, Andy. I have a knack for finding the long way to do simple tasks…

As to downloading from Kyle, strangely enough it just started working for me this afternoon, just as I was about to check my ports on my router. Weirdness!

I managed to download and upgrade, so all is working great now. Thanks for your help.

• February 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Is there any way to get access to transmission without being on the local network? I want to be able to add torrents even when I’m not at home. I can’t get my desktop to WOL, otherwise I’d just turn it on remotely and remote connect. Also, is there a way to get it to automatically load torrents from a certain folder? Currently on my desktop utorrent automatically loads from a folder in my dropbox 🙂
    Thanks!

• February 19, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Nayan,

Do the proper port forwarding on your router and access transmissionbt from your Internet IP (WAN).

Visit transmissionbt website, there are actually documented solutions for transmission to load torrents from folders.

• February 22, 2010 at 4:55 am

Thanks for the info. I’ve gotten the loading from a folder done pretty easily now. I was already forwarding port 9091 to the nas. I added “*.*.*.*” to the whitelist and added user/password requirement. Is that the proper way to do it? Also, does turning on loading torrents from folder keep the harddrive from hibernating? Because I have 2 identical drives and one is running at 44 degrees (the one that does the torrents) and the other is running at 39 degrees. Last night, I wasn’t downloading anything and I checked the temperatures this morning.

• February 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Nayan,

Yes, the transmission will scan the folder periodically. Thus preventing the hard disk from spinning down. It is a trade off.

However, you can mount a usb flash disk by attaching it to the usb port at the rear. There are usb mounting instructions (script + usb-storage.ko). Then you can make transmission find torrents in a folder on the USB. Your hard disk will be able to spin down as transmission will now scan your USB flash drive instead.

• March 4, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Excellent guide Shadowandy. I’m a noob with Linux and this guide is the best thanks!. This is actually my first time to use a linux based client.

Anyway, is this transmission always on? How do I turn the program off if I don’t want i to download or upload anything and how to turn it on back again?

• March 8, 2010 at 7:57 am

Bro, the firmware 1.0.8 is available for DNS323. Any step by step guide to upgrade it?
    Thanks.

• March 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Dino,

Yes, the transmission is always on. You can issue the comamnd “sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop” to stop transmission. Just replace stop with start in the previous command and you will start transmission again.

• March 8, 2010 at 10:21 pm

rootsntips,

Upgrading firmware should be pretty straight forward thru the web administration page. ffp should continue to work after the upgrade.

• March 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Is there any advantage of turning off the transmission as opposed to just pausing everything?

• March 10, 2010 at 7:15 am

Dino,

Turning off transmission frees up some memory. I would only recommending turning it off if you are not going to use it for extended period of time. Otherwise, just pause the torrents.

• March 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Is the default BT program from the new firmware better than transmission?

• March 11, 2010 at 9:39 am

All of a sudden Transmission is not picking up any peers. Trackers aren’t responind but when tried on PC, it worked. Do I reinstall Transmission?

• March 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh, and how do I uninstall it shadowandy. Thanks! 🙂

• March 12, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Dino,

To uninstall, use the “funpkg -r “. e.g. “funpkg -r Transmission-1.91-1”

• March 16, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Hi Shadowandy,

How do I upgrade?

Do I just stop transmission, remove, then install new version?

Will these work?

sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop
    funpkg -r Transmission-1.91-1
    wget http://kylek.is-a-geek.org:31337/files/Transmission-1.92-1.tgz
    funpkg -i Transmission-1.92-1.tgz
    chmod a+x /ffp/start/transmission.sh;sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop

Should I still update the whitelist?

Thanks!!

• March 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Dino,

Yes, your steps are correct for the upgrading. Whitelist need not be updated.

Cheers!

• March 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Thanks for all the help! I’m starting to enjoy linux!

Is it possible to access this remotely like from a different place? Do I just have to update the whitelist and add the IP address that I will be using ? Hope you can point me to the right direction!

Thanks again!

• March 23, 2010 at 1:31 am

Also, what are the commands to disable the IP address and commands to put a password if I don’t know the IP address of net I will be going to use?

Like for example on a business trip and you just use free internet or wifi spots, how could you then access your transmission?

• March 27, 2010 at 3:36 am

i notice some people are using an external usb as a scan directory, i have this all set up and mounted but how do i point transmission to check my usb folder instead of the default one of /mnt/HD_a2/.transmssion-daemon/torrents

• March 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

chancer2010,

To enable the scan / watch-directory, you need to add in 2 variables in the settings.json file.

“watch-dir”: “\/mnt\/USB\/transmission\/torrentwatch\/”,
    “watch-dir-enabled”: true

• March 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

Dino,

In such cases, I would enable rpc authentication. 🙂

• March 31, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Hey andy. I havent upgraded transmission for a while. so i upgraded… 1.73 to 1.92.
    installed fine, runs fine, can see all my old torrents and they download state. THEN i try to resume and transmission crashes… no idea why, any thoughts?

• April 1, 2010 at 11:47 am

Found the same problem elsewhere and have rectified it.

I had to remove the /torrent and /resume folder…

Started transmission and then added the torrents back through the web interface,
    transmission checked the file and resumed from where the torrent was.

horray

• April 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Daniel,

Wow! Thanks for the fix! Hurray!

• May 19, 2010 at 4:12 am

I don’t know if this is still monitored, but have spent hours stuck on setting the download directory & get the following error.

root@DLINK-NAS:/mnt/HD_a2# su nobody -c .mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downlo
    ads
    /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads: line 1: .mkdir: not found

would DESPERATELY love some help with this 🙁

• May 19, 2010 at 7:36 am

Reaper,

it is “mkdir and not .mkdir

• May 27, 2010 at 11:39 pm

hey everything is working fine major thanks except one thing

i changed the dl folder to where i keep all my other dls

now when the torrent is done, i don’t have the write permissions on it, i can only read it

after i dl a file i like to move it to a new directory to keep things organised (music, movies, ISO, etc) but when i do i get an error saying i need permission from:

Unix User/nobody to make changes to this file

also, it appears the only way to delete something that was downloaded through transmission is to delete it through transmission(to avoid getting same error above)

this makes things a little complicated for me. how might i make it so transmission doesn’t take ownership of the files it downloads?

• May 28, 2010 at 5:45 am

figured it out, in case anyone else has it

in Telnet:
    killall transmission-daemon

Then edit the settings.json file and change the umask value to 0

• May 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

Forbees,

That’s cool! Next time try to stop transmission by “sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop”.

• June 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Hi !

Great guide… I’ve tryed some other ones, but couln’t make it work, until i found your little guide…. Thanks….

I was wondering….. Is it possible to put password protection on the Web Interface ? – If yes, how do i do that ????

Kind regards,
    Morten

• June 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Hey guys,
    I was on Transmission 1.92.1 for monthes and yesterday, I started to have some random crashes (nothing in log). I tried to see if that was because of a specific torrent, but still have crashes.

Then I tried to restart my DNS 323, crashes still there. I’ve also stopped all the torrents.

So I upgraded to 1.93.2, but the crashes remain and still nothing in the log file.

Then I tried to start transmission in telnet to see what happens. It is starting just fine, but after a while, 2 to 5 mins, it stopped. Here’s my last try :

root@chiny2:/mnt/HD_a2# su nobody -c “transmission-daemon -f -g /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon -a 127.0.0.1,192.168.*.*”
    [16:19:53.108] Transmission 1.93 (10625) started (session.c:609)
    [16:19:53.108] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1 (rpc-server.c:772)
    [16:19:53.109] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 192.168.*.* (rpc-server.c:772)
    [16:19:53.109] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 9091 (rpc-server.c:945)
    [16:19:53.109] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:949)
    [16:19:53.110] Couldn’t bind port 21444 on 0.0.0.0: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:369)
    [16:19:53.110] DHT Reusing old id (tr-dht.c:365)
    [16:19:53.111] DHT Bootstrapping from 109 nodes (tr-dht.c:146)
    [16:19:53.111] Using settings from “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon” (daemon.c:425)
    [16:19:53.111] Saved “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json” (bencode.c:1651)
    [16:19:53.112] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (natpmp.c:67)
    [16:19:53.112] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2) (natpmp.c:67)
    [16:19:53.113] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Found Internet Gateway Device “http://192.168.2.254:4444/wipconn” (upnp.c:105)
    [16:19:53.113] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Local Address is “192.168.2.199” (upnp.c:107)
    [16:19:53.114] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding through “http://192.168.2.254:4444/wipconn”, service “urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1”. (local address: 192.168.2.199:21444) (upnp.c:194)
    [16:19:53.114] Port Forwarding State changed from “Not forwarded” to “Starting” (port-forwarding.c:87)
    [16:19:53.114] Loaded 155 torrents (session.c:1683)
    [16:19:56.125] Port Forwarding State changed from “Starting” to “???” (port-forwarding.c:87)
    Killed

If anyone has a clue about what’s happening, please help me =)

• June 16, 2010 at 12:45 am

Ok, I’ve now moved all the files in the torrent and resume directory. No crash in the past hour. I’m putting back my torrents one by one after each verification process.

• June 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Chiny,

Have you found the torrent that is causing transmissionbt to crash?

• June 17, 2010 at 2:39 am

Yep, seems like there were som torrents with non unicode chars were causing trouble, corupting other torrents.

I saw that while looking into the torrents and resume folder via telnet. Some files were not displayed correctly, like :

“file_name.resume qksjfq.resume”

2 files on the same line = problem x)

I’m now trying to repair this BIG mess ^_^

• June 17, 2010 at 11:25 am

Is there a compiled version of Transmission Remote GUI for the DNS-323?

Even better would be similar instuctions to add it to this installed transmission install.

• June 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Chiny,

Try using putty and turn on unicode (UTF-8 / UTF-16) to view those unicoded filename properly.

• June 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Pacer,

What is this Transmission Remote GUI? Is it this?

This remote gui is a desktop application.

• July 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Hi shadowandy,
    First I must thank you for the great guide. You have made my dns323 worth the money 😉 I have 1 problem though, every time I restart my dns323 or power was cutoff, I will bump into error: permission denied problem. Every time I have to reinstall & set a new folder for download. This way also is without a problem as when I tried to transfer the unfinished torrent files, I seems not able to. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tignos

• October 3, 2010 at 1:06 am

Hi Andy,
    thanks for the great manual provided. been using transmission 1.92. Everything seems good. My vol_1 (Two 1TB) is filling up soon. I have a few queries. hope you can help me out:

1) I need to install two 1TB as disk 3 and4 and as another volume eg vol_2
    any advise how to implement this safely w/o losing my data in vol_1?
    2) After installing, can you advise me the command to copy certain contents in vol_1 to vol_2?
    3) Do I need to stop transmission during the installing process?

Cos I read up that installing new hdds in 343 would causes failure to recognize the previous volumes and prompt to format.
    Thanks. hope to hear from you soon

• October 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

zed,

1) I think you got to approach D-Link staff to ask them on this. They should be able to advice you.

2) As long as you have got fun_plug, just telnet in and use the copy command (cp) or move command (mv) to shift stuffs around

3) Well, it is good to stop transmission. 🙂

• October 3, 2010 at 11:55 pm

thankz Andy!!

• October 14, 2010 at 2:17 am

Thank you, Andy! I followed your guide to the letter and it works perfectly – I’m so happy to have such a nice torrent client for my 323 now, all thanks to your post!

• November 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Cant find any rpc whitelist, therefore unable to continue. Please help.

DNS-323 freshly install following
    uclibc-0.9.29-7.tgz
    curl-7.19.4-1.tgz
    Transmission-2.11-1.tgz

• November 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

jason,

Not sure if the newer version uses rpc-whitelist. If that line if not around, you can actually declare it in the settings.

• January 15, 2011 at 6:43 am

Hallo Shadow!

Everything went fine until the “transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads” command for the download directory.

Here is the command and response:

/mnt/HD_a2 # transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads
    [19:28:25.537] transmission-remote: (http://127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/rpc) Couldn’t connect to server

I did mess up in the “rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*”, part because my IP is 192.168.0.* and I left 192.168.1.*. But I changed it and now is correct. But the “transmission-remote” command is still not working.

Any clues?

Cheers!!

• January 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hi Daniel,

You need to check whether the transmission is running. You can see whether is it running by doing a ps | grep tranmission.

• January 16, 2011 at 12:02 am

And I got this:

/mnt/HD_a2 # ps | grep transmission
    20526 root vi /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings/json
    27422 root grep transmission

• January 16, 2011 at 5:06 am

Tried again. Same “couldn’t connect to server” message. Strange…

• January 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

Daniel,

Your transmission is not running, that is why you couldn’t connect to it. Can you paste the last 10 lines of your transmission log file? We can try figure out what went wrong from there.

• January 17, 2011 at 12:18 am

No problem, How do I do that? 🙂

• January 18, 2011 at 6:33 am

Thanks for the guide!

I followed it for the DNS-320 and it looks like everything is up and running.

However i have a couple of questions:

I want to be able to access the web interface from anywhere to add torrents (including my phone with torrent-fu)

How do i go about doing this? i has assumed it would be by disabling the whitelist by changing the true to false or adding *.*.*.* to the exceptions.

but when i go to myip:9091/transmission i get the 403 error

What am i doing wrong?

Also can transmission be set up to auto download torrents from a file, or doe each one need to be added manually?

thanks again!

• January 18, 2011 at 9:08 am

Ignore that i think i have it working!

However still some general questions:

Can transmission be set up to monitor downloaded torrents from a file, or does each one need to be added manually? i.e if a torrent is downloaded to a set folder it will automatically pick it up in transmission

can the ffp folder, ffp and fun_plug be “hidden” in the root directory, and if so how?

• January 19, 2011 at 7:16 am

Jetpac,

You have to play with transmission-remote. One of the options is to set a watch directory for *.torrent files.

Don’t think the ffp folder can be hidden.

• January 20, 2011 at 5:04 am

thanks for the reply SA, How does one plya with transmission-remote?

I am pretty damn new to this whole nas and linux stuff!

• January 30, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hey Shadow,
    I tried to search around how to see the transmission log file but I couldn’t find it, can you point me in the right direction? I’m a total noob with this, sorry…

Cheers!

• February 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Hi Shadow. I noticed you have a Elmo in big bird costume posted 2 years ago. Was wondering where you got that toy. Please get back to me via email at kaisheng1991@hotmail.com.

• February 6, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hi Daniel,

You can find the transmission log at /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/transmission-daemon.log

• February 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hi Shadowandy,

Can You help me fix my transmission? I changed volume 2 to a bigger drive 2TB retaining the folder structures. Now, I keep on getting permission denied when downloading torrents. I tried the following commands to no avail.

chown -R nobody /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon
    chown -R nobody /mnt/HD_b2/Downloads

• February 16, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hi Andy

Total noob, but really keen to get everything working on my NAS.

When I start downloading a torrent, I get the following error: “error: permission denied (/home/nobody/Downloads/name of torrent…).

Why is this? i followed instructions verbatim. Also edited download folder in settings.json manually to try to make it work. Please help, this is killing me!

• February 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

@Dino,

I suspect your download directory is still set to volume_1, stop Transmission and check the configuration file – settings.json

@willyb,

When you edit settings.json, is Transmission still running? The daemon must not be running when doing any changes. And is the owner of the download directory set to “nobody”?

• February 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hi there guys

Thanks to you, I now have downloads working, but a little too well! Any setting I change in ‘Prefernces’ for transmission are not saved when the NAS is rebooted. Also, how do I stop the torrent from seeding away all my bandwidth? (i.e. stop seeding after a certain time?)

• March 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Dear all! I’m new here.
    I’m instaling transmission 2.22-1.tgz (because the one in the description is not working).
    I’m doing everything as the description says.
    However there is NO whitelist after “vi /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json”

What should I do? I only have blocklist listed, but without rpc

HELP PLEASE

• March 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Finally it’s OK.

However the transmission stops downloading after 2Mb… I believe that something is wrong with the download directory….but I don’t know.
    Could you help?

• March 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm

skoos,

When you mean stops. Does transmission bt stops running or only that specific torrent stops?

• March 16, 2011 at 8:40 am

Thanks for a great guide to transmission.

I followed every step, and got it to work in no time. I also had some trouble with the whitelist – my terminal wouldn’t edit the settings.json – but i just did it by editing it in text editor and saving it manually.

Btw i can report, that this works fine on a DNS-313 Rev. B1 with firmware 2.0.

Thanks again!

• March 29, 2011 at 12:58 am

Thank you! I just upgraded transmission on my dns-323 (to ver 2.22) following your instructions and it was effortless!

• April 9, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Its all fine now. LOVE IT!

Hoever I need to disable the whitelist, because I need to access it from a remote computer.

Could you help me doing that, seems that I just can’t overwrite the “rpc-whitelist-enabled: true” line to
    “rpc-whitelist-enabled: false”

Its not this easy i think. So what should I do?

MANY THANKS!

• April 28, 2011 at 1:05 am

after changing some things in my json file
    specifically
    “rpc-authentication-required”: true, (to false)

it now says
    # transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads
    http://127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/rpc/ responded: “success”
    But when I try to go to 192.168.1.140:9091 it still gives me a 403
    ?????

• May 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi Shadow!

I got this at the log file:

[23:28:04.858] JSON parser failed in /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json at line 48, column 5: “”rpc-whitelist-e”
    [23:28:04.859] transmission-daemon Error loading config file — exiting. (daemon.c:421)

So I discovered that I forgot a comma at the end of the line. 🙂 Thanks for alll the help!

• May 11, 2011 at 1:55 am

Having a few issues with 2.22 on my DNS 323 with the remote GUI.
    I can connect fine from the web interface, but when trying to access it via the remote GUI, I get a “connection refused” error.
    Followed these instructions to the tee aside from installing 2.22-1.
    Thanks in avance.

• May 20, 2011 at 10:53 am

Jim,

I think it might be issue with transmissionbt 2.22. Check out 2.31. 🙂

• June 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

i setup Transmission but when a file is save, it prompt

permission denied(/home/nobody/Downloads/

but the folder( transmission-downloads) is there
    anyone can help ?

Transmission is 2.03

• June 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

@topper aka Eric,

I have posted my reply to your problem in HWZ, you probably missed a step or two when setting up transmision.

• June 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Anybody know a working link to Transmission 2.31??

• June 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hi Andy,

Recently, I have just updated to Transmission 2.31, and it keep crashing for no reason.
    Amd after reboot, the deamon will not auto activated, even though I have enable it.

Any reason for this sympton? is there any way that I can troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance.

Zed

• June 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Hi Zed,

You can check out the transmissionbt log file (/mnt/HD/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/transmission-daemon.log) to see what is the reason it did not start.

Just to check, does /mnt/HD_a2 still points to /mnt/HD/HD_a2?

• June 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip. Cos sometimes it will download for ten mins or even half hr and then crashes.

1) Under the transmission-daemon.log:
    [22:45:35.665] Learn2Shoot Scrape error: Tracker did not respond (announcer.c:1181)
    [22:45:35.665] Learn2Shoot Retrying scrape in 3641 seconds. (announcer.c:1190)

Has alot of such messages but should not be the cause right?

2) “/mnt/HD_a2 still points to /mnt/HD/HD_a2?” Meaning? How to check?

If this is the default settings, then should be still pointing as sometimes it will download for
    ten mins or even 1 hr and then crashes.

3) under ffp log:

**** fun_plug script for DNS-323 (2008-08-11 tp@fonz.de) ****
    Wed Jun 15 22:07:24 SGT 2011
    ln -snf /mnt/HD_a2/ffp /ffp
    * Running /ffp/etc/fun_plug.init …
    * Running /ffp/etc/rc …
    * /ffp/start/lighttpd.sh inactive
    * /ffp/start/inetd.sh inactive
    * OK

Thanks in advance again

• July 6, 2011 at 12:40 am

Hi Shadowandy,

I am stucked at this line (nearing the end of the procedure)

You wrote:
    Setting the download directory

Type the command “su nobody -c “mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads”“

After keying in, terminal shows:

/mnt/HD/HD_a2 #
    telnet>
    su nobody -c b mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloadsb
    /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloadsb: line 1: bmkdir: not found
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2 #

Any work around coz i am so close to complete the procedure. And also cd /mnt/HD_a2 does point me to /mnt/HD/HD_a2, that’s supposed to be odd?

thanks for the work anyway

• July 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm

pharme,

it is mkdir not bmkdir.

/mnt/HD_a2 is a symbolic link to /mnt/HD/HD_a2 to make sure older packages meant for DNS-323 will still work on the DNS-320 without having users to modify anything. I had automated this step under fun_plug.local in my DNS-320 fun_plug guide.

• July 8, 2011 at 12:30 am

somehow what i received in the chain is this
    Following from your command

su nobody -c “mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads”

(when ENTER led me to)

telnet>
    (then i ENTER again)

it showed
    su nobody -c b mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloadsb
    /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloadsb: line 1: bmkdir: not found
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2 #

(what i can see the diff is that your ” ” has been replaced by b)

Nevertheless, i proceeded to your next command

transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads

it says success
    but i see no folder created in Volume 1.

• August 17, 2011 at 4:04 am

@pharme

Same problem was here.
    You should watch where you are standing with the cursor.

if your prompt looks like this:

root@dlinknas:/mnt/HD_a2#

you only have to write:

su nobody -c “mkdir -p transmission-downloads”

because you are already in that folder. And then the next line will be :

transmission-remote 127.0.0.1 -w transmission-downloads

according to the folder position you are in.

Hope that helps.

• September 13, 2011 at 1:06 am

Hi Andy

Was wondering if you could help me. For some reason, recently, when I decided to enable SSH on my DNS323, Transmission killed itself and I couldn’t get the daemon running again. I would manually start it, then do a ps command and see it, but immediately after, I did another ps command and the process wasn’t there anymore

I followed the instructions for SSH from:

Ever since, I did a removal of funplug completely, and tried to reinstall. But apparently Transmission was not completely removed (my previous settings.json was intact).

I was wondering if you would know what happened, or at least, advise how i can do a clean reinstall and get everything working again

• October 11, 2011 at 2:41 am

Hello

Thank you for the great walk through.. I am almost there

I am gettign teh same error that you focos on in the beginning of the article and have seen that most people are able to fix it by updating the white list.

I have gone through your steps and ensured that my json file look like :

“rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168.0.*”, (where my nas ip is 192.168.0.17)

and I still get the error

Unexpected response: 403: ForbiddenUnauthorized IP Address.Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.If you’re editing settings.json, see the ‘rpc-whitelist’ and ‘rpc-whitelist-enabled’ entries.If you’re still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.encoded

{“arguments”:{“download-dir”:”/mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads”},”method”:”session-set”}

• October 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

@Travis, did you stop the transmission-daemon process before doing the changes? To stop just type: sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop

• October 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm

prejudice,
    transmission falls often with very large files.
    you could put in the file start a cycle in which a check is done on the status and if it is not active, it automatically raises?

thanks

• December 20, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Hello (Shadow)Andy,

A Starbucks for you from me has been sent.
    Thanks my friend. You helped me solved my problem on reinstalling this tools into my 323. 🙂

Soon – the 320 will go through your guide as well for the Twonky and the same tool :)) Cheers!

Rgds.

• December 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hi Shadow Andy / Guys,
    Had some problem with my DNS323 lately. After the AC stopped working or perhaps a power failure. I can no longer access both transmission & the web interface it says “connection refused” & unable to connect respectively. What do I need to do if I want to “start from scratch” which files to delete, etc. from my DNS or what to troubleshoot. Thanks.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

ian,

You just need to put in the fun_plug.tgz file into Volume_1 and restart the NAS. It should unpack and your fun_plug will be accessible again. Then follow the instructions to set up transmission and you should be good to go.

• February 29, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hey Shadow,
    I have tried upgrading my Transmission to version 2.50 and now I’m getting this error message:

/mnt/HD_a2 # /ffp/start/transmission.sh start
    Starting transmission-daemon
    [00:49:09.939] JSON parser failed in /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json at line 1, column 1: “d13:activity-dat”

Any idea of what I could do to fix it?

• February 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hi Daniel,

I have not tried Transmission 2.50. Let you know when I upgrade it over the weekend.

• March 1, 2012 at 9:22 am

Well. I just went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing. Apparently the settings.json got corrupted at some point. Now it is working normally. 🙂

• March 2, 2012 at 8:05 am

Hi Daniel,

I tried transmission 2.50 last night and everything went well so you are right that something went wrong with your installation.

Next time make sure you stop transmission first (sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop). Followed by package upgrade (funpkg -u ). Then start it again (sh /ffp/start/transmission.sh start)

• March 4, 2012 at 5:51 am

Fantastic instructions! It went flawlessly. The only improvement I might suggest would be to backup the json file before editing

cp /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json.bkup

If you ever need to restore it because of a typo using vi, then do this

cp /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json.bkup /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json

Thank you for these great instructions

• March 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hey Andy,

Transmission has been running great for me for two years now, but in the last week some strange issue has come up that I haven’t been able to find a fix for.
    I’m running Transmission 2.50 now.
    About a week ago I suddenly was unable to connect to Transmission. This was with both the GUI and a web browser. The response in the GUI is “Connection refused”.
    I tried a number of solutions found on the web but nothing worked. I’ve uninstalled then reinstalled Transmission several times. I even tried going back to 2.42 but it also gives “Connection refused”.
    When I do the reinstall, it actually works for a few minutes. I start adding in torrents and it takes 2 or 3, then I get the connection issue and I can’t do anything with it.
    Finally I gave up and decided it was time to upgrade my DNS-323 to a pair of larger drives, which I did, then installed Transmission on a clean pair of drives (RAID 1). Same issue as above; it works for a while then locks me out.
    Here’s the relevant portion of the log:
    [22:47:01.288] Transmission 2.50 (13236) started (session.c:718)
    [22:47:01.289] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1 (rpc-server.c:803)
    [22:47:01.289] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/ (rpc-server.c:997)
    [22:47:01.289] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:1001)
    [22:47:01.290] Couldn’t bind port 51413 on 0.0.0.0: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:363)
    [22:47:01.290] UDP Couldn’t bind IPv4 socket (tr-udp.c:260)
    [22:47:01.290] DHT Generating new id (tr-dht.c:309)
    [22:47:01.290] Using settings from “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon” (daemon.c:488)
    [22:47:01.291] Saved “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json” (bencode.c:1731)
    [22:47:01.291] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (natpmp.c:72)
    [22:47:01.291] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2) (natpmp.c:72)
    [22:47:02.294] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Found Internet Gateway Device “http://192.168.1.1:5555/ctl/IPConn” (upnp.c:202)
    [22:47:02.294] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Local Address is “192.168.1.110” (upnp.c:204)
    [22:47:02.295] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding through “http://192.168.1.1:5555/ctl/IPConn”, service “urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1”. (local address: 192.168.1.110:51413) (upnp.c:279)
    [22:47:02.295] Port Forwarding Starting (port-forwarding.c:93)
    [22:47:08.330] Port Forwarding Starting (port-forwarding.c:93)
    [22:47:11.527] Saved “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json” (bencode.c:1731)
    [22:47:11.528] DHT Not saving nodes, DHT not ready (tr-dht.c:356)
    [22:47:11.528] Port Forwarding Stopped (port-forwarding.c:181)
    [22:47:11.537] Saved “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json” (bencode.c:1731)
    [22:47:11.538] DHT Not saving nodes, DHT not ready (tr-dht.c:356)
    [22:47:11.538] Port Forwarding Stopped (port-forwarding.c:181)
    [22:48:40.719] Transmission 2.50 (13236) started (session.c:718)
    [22:48:40.719] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1 (rpc-server.c:803)
    [22:48:40.720] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 192.168.1.* (rpc-server.c:803)
    [22:48:40.720] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/ (rpc-server.c:997)
    [22:48:40.720] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:1001)
    [22:48:40.720] UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 208896 (tr-udp.c:75)
    [22:48:40.721] UDP Please add the line “net.core.rmem_max = 4194304” to /etc/sysctl.conf (tr-udp.c:80)
    [22:48:40.721] UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 208896 (tr-udp.c:86)
    [22:48:40.721] UDP Please add the line “net.core.wmem_max = 1048576” to /etc/sysctl.conf (tr-udp.c:91)
    [22:48:40.722] DHT Generating new id (tr-dht.c:309)
    [22:48:40.722] Using settings from “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon” (daemon.c:488)
    [22:48:40.722] Saved “/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/settings.json” (bencode.c:1731)
    [22:48:40.722] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (natpmp.c:72)
    [22:48:40.723] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2) (natpmp.c:72)
    [22:48:40.723] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Found Internet Gateway Device “http://192.168.1.1:5555/ctl/IPConn” (upnp.c:202)
    [22:48:40.723] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Local Address is “192.168.1.110” (upnp.c:204)
    [22:48:40.723] Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding through “http://192.168.1.1:5555/ctl/IPConn”, service “urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1”. (local address: 192.168.1.110:51413) (upnp.c:279)
    [22:48:40.724] Port Forwarding Starting (port-forwarding.c:93)
    [22:48:47.761] Port Forwarding Starting (port-forwarding.c:93)
    [22:48:59.832] DHT Attempting bootstrap from dht.transmissionbt.com (tr-dht.c:247)
    [22:50:24.333] Searching for web interface file “/home/nobody/.local/share/transmission/web/index.html” (platform.c:542)
    [22:50:24.333] Searching for web interface file “/ffp/share/transmission/web/index.html” (platform.c:542)

Any ideas?

Thanks again, by the way, for all of your help in the past. I’m learning Linux via my DNS-323 and loving every minute of it, even when it falls apart!

• March 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I forgot to add.. I think the daemon stops running. If I try to stop it, it says no process killed:

/mnt/HD_a2 # /ffp/start/transmission.sh stop
    Stopping transmission-daemon
    killall: transmission-daemon: no process killed

• March 11, 2012 at 1:48 am

Is anyone else having issues with Private trackers? It seems I can only download from either a private or public tracker at the same time. If I’m downloading from both, the private tracker announcement is set to queue.

• March 11, 2012 at 3:03 am

Hey, I think I found it..

As strange as it sounds, I think I had a bad .torrent file that was bringing it down.

I went in and cleaned out the actual torrent folder and restarted the daemon. It actually started and held. So knowing that everytime it crashed on me before was after I loaded torrents A, B and C, I thought for fun I’d load different torrents instead, and sure enough it took them and held.

So one by one I’ve been loading in more torrents. It’s as slow as orange but still running (one tense moment when the GUI disconnected, but a couple of minutes later it fired back up).

I have deleted torrents A, B and C just to be safe. Could this be a sign of malware in our world?