Creating your own Image Gallery on DNS-323

DNS323_gallery_01small.jpg
Photo Gallery on the DNS-323

Thought of creating an Image Gallery on your DNS-323? Recently came across a Photo Gallery PHP script which allows users to create multiple albums of photos, browse albums in thumbnail mode, etc. Recently, I set up the Photo Gallery on the DNS-323 and realized that image processing is rather slow due to the slow processor on the DNS-323. However, browsing through the processed photos is a breeze!

Great thing is that the Photo Gallery 1 works with lighttpd with ImageMagick! Lets try to set one up on the DNS-323.

Required

1. G1 Gallery (e.g. Gallery 1.5.7)
  2. lighttpd with ImageMagick

The required lighttpd with ImageMagick should have been set up before proceeding to the next section.

Setting up G1 Gallery
Copy the downloaded file (gallery-1.5.7.tar.gz) to Volume_1 of your DNS-323 (/mnt/HD_a2). Telnet into your DNS-323 and follow the following instructions.

/ # cd /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages
/mnt/HD_a2/www/pages # tar xvzf /mnt/HD_a2/gallery-1.5.7.tar.gz
gallery/
gallery/add_comment.php
gallery/add_photos.php

/mnt/HD_a2/www/pages # mkdir albums
/mnt/HD_a2/www/pages # echo “” > ./gallery/.htaccess
/mnt/HD_a2/www/pages # echo “” > ./gallery/config.php

The next stage of gallery set up make use of web browser. Ensure that your lighttpd is started before surfing over to http://<DNS-323’s IP>:8080/gallery/

DNS323_gallery_02small.jpg
Setting up Gallery 1 through the web wizard

Click on “Configuration Wizard” and follow through the wizard to set up your Gallery! It is alright to have some warnings, just keep going. The following information is required by the set up

Album directory : /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages/albums
Temporary directory : /tmp

Have fun with your Gallery.

17 thoughts on “Creating your own Image Gallery on DNS-323

• January 12, 2008 at 7:40 am

wow.. gallery works with DNS-323?!?! any step-by-step instructions for the masses? ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 13, 2008 at 7:26 am

gallery 2 doesn’t work with dns-323? I guess it must be too resource hungry?

• January 13, 2008 at 10:48 am

There is a requirement for database, hence I didn’t really go for Gallery 2. ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 14, 2008 at 4:37 pm

so it’s possible? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• January 14, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I followed all the steps, and got to the configuration page. However at step 4 I get all the errors there can be listed in red. None of the configurations I have painstakingly entered had been saved. I changed all the file attributes of everything in the gallery folder to 777, and I am sure the .htaccess and config.php is there. What am I doing wrong?

• February 18, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Hey sorry for my newb question but my unix knowledge is limited to what i’ve read on your site.

I’ve installed the mldonkey.2.9.3.lite.realsimple on my DNS-323 works perfect, then decided to try Setting up lighttpd 1.4.17 with ImageMagick. I do all except the fun_plug setup as it’s already installed from the mldonkey package. Once i get to the end I run the lighttpd and browse http://:8080 and nothing happens, i can still browse the 4080 port for mldonkey. It looks like the /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages directory does not exist either. Did I miss anything?

• February 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Marek,

Create the necessary directories using the following command.

mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages

• March 12, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Anonymous,

I have the same problems as you~~!
    Anybody can help us with this? where went wrong? I followed the steps as well.. Anybody got this working at all ?

• April 2, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Hello Shadowandy,
    I would like to thank you for all your hard work.
    I have the same problem then msbatman and Anonymous. I made sure .htaccess and config.php are writable (777) but I still the same errors (over 80). Any suggestion?

• April 3, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Marc,

Could you email me the errors so that I could have a look at them? Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• April 14, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I to have the same problem as Marc.
    I have followed Shadowandyยดs steps exactly. But when I configure the gallery I get 80 errors.
    Lighttp and PHP works nice. But not the gallery.

Anyone ideas?

• July 25, 2008 at 11:54 am

Hi Andy,

just got a question, i was able to install the required apps and services . but from the gallery wizard page, i’m getting an error below,

looks like, i’ts not accepting the changes i had made… please advice.

==============================

80 errors. See Details below.

/* Version */
    $gallery->app->config_version = ’96’;

/* Features */
    $gallery->app->feature[“zip”] = 0; // (missing zipinfo — it’s optional, missing unzip — it’s optional)
    $gallery->app->feature[“rewrite”] = 0; // (missing GALLERY_REWRITE_OK — it’s optional)
    $gallery->app->feature[“mirror”] = 0; // (missing mirrorSites — it’s optional)

/* Constants */
    Error: Missing value: Gallery Title!
    Error: Missing value: Admin password!
    Error: Missing value: Use Icons?!
    Error: Missing value: Skin Name!
    Error: Missing value: Default upload method!
    Error: Missing value: Album directory!
    Error: Missing value: Temporary directory!
    Error: Missing value: Gallery URL!
    Error: Missing value: Albums URL!
    Error: Missing value: Thumbnail image!
    // optional mirrorSites missing
    Error: Missing value: Graphics suite to use!
    // optional ImPath missing
    // optional pnmDir missing
    Error: Missing value: PNM to JPEG converter!

==============================

• July 28, 2008 at 9:07 am

Joel,

Did you fill up the necessary fields in the gallery setup?

• September 5, 2008 at 3:58 pm

hi shadowandy, i’m using the DNS-313, can i follow this guide too?

• September 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Clyde,

Yes, however the commands are for funplug 0.4. The procedures for setting it up would be the same on the ffp 0.5 except for some command changes. funpkg.sh has been superseded by funpkg

• December 10, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Still no answers for the errors described by the other above? (80 errors)
    Have the same problem, like its not safing my changes, and yes, i did answer all the questions…

• January 24, 2009 at 3:06 am

SOLVED!

I had the same problems concerning the config file, so I deleted config.php using WinSCP, used putty to login, changed to the proper folder, and created the config.php file again using the above instructions.

[Note] If you copy and paste the text, you don’t get the ” you get . instead, so make sure you type it in.

[Note] Use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, the configuration pages did not appear properly when i used FF.

cd /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages