VPN, QoS

Last time DARK (my group of buddies) had this crazy idea of VPN-ing our home networks. Chatted with Keny yesterday and so happened he was thinking about it too. Thought of using dd-wrt based routers to do point-to-point VPN but seems like using ms chap for authentication is not really secure. *roll eyes*

Had another crazy idea of using a small device, perhaps a D-Link DIR-300 to QoS my network. The QoS provided by the DIR-655 is not really extensive. I was looking for guaranteed bandwidth and stuffs. But seems like none of the third party firmwares offer protocol analysis. One major concern would be the switching capacity and connection session. Hope it would be more than what my DIR-655 can handle!

Time to look for a traffic shaper that has been implemented on third party devices.

10 thoughts on “VPN, QoS

• July 16, 2008 at 4:02 pm

craft,

thanks! Just tried it out. Actually I was looking for layer 7 qos features.

• July 16, 2008 at 9:13 pm

layer7 qos need more power (a simple broadband router is not enough), we have a device for that (DFL-M510).

• July 17, 2008 at 9:17 am

craft,

Ah i see. I actually though of building one traffic manager to do deep packet inspection as some peer to peer video streaming applications don’t have standard ports. Guess I will give it a pass then. Perhaps I should look into DIR-320 which is slightly more robust than the DIR-300 in terms of CPU and RAM amount.

• October 29, 2008 at 6:05 pm

craft

So, with your firmware I can shape traffic by DIR-300? I use DSL-2300U + DIR-300 for 2 computers (one by ethernet and notebook by wi-fi), and I need a firmware with traffic shaping.
    Thanks!

• October 30, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Pharmacist,

The latest firmware should pack basic QoS.

• October 30, 2008 at 3:40 pm

shadowandy
    Thank’s a lot! So, I right understand, that QoS = Traffic Shaper (in native firmware). How it use? May be You post a link where I can read about this.

• October 30, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Pharmacist,

There are help information in the web administrative page itself. Another way is to contact D-Link help or by calling up their support line in your region.

• October 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm