DIR-300 FAQ

This entry contains answers to questions raised by other users with regards to the installation and running of DD-WRT on D-Link routers. It also contains some troubleshooting hints and tips. You may find your answers in here.

1. Q: I couldn’t load ap61.ram. The transfer timeout
    A: Make sure your TFTP server is running and ap61.ram is inside
  2. Q: I couldn’t load linux.bin. The transfer timeout
    A: Make sure your TFTP server is running and linux.bin is inside
  3. Q: I upgraded to DD-WRT V24 SP1 through the web interface and it doesn’t boot up again!
    A: There has been some changes from the shift from pre V24 SP1 to V24 SP1. Your router is not dead. Access the RedBoot and follow the section “Loading in the new firmware” in the guide Mini Flashing Guide for DIR-300
  4. Q: How to I change the value of “Run script at boot” from false to true?
    A: use the following command in your RedBoot> “fconfig boot_script true”
  5. Q: The address of the memory being erased is differnt from yours. Why?
    A: Make sure the x in the address (e.g. 0x12345678) are correct. Try to manually type the memory addresses instead of cut and paste
  6. Q: What is the default username and password for dd-wrt?
    A: “root” and “admin” without the quotes respectively
  7. Q: My house lost power when following the instructions in the section “Loading in the new firmware”. What should I do?
    A: As long as your RedBoot is not messed up. Try getting into RedBoot and start from the section “Loading in the new firmware” in the guide Mini Flashing Guide for DIR-300
  8. Q: My Putty window closed while flashing the firmware! What should I do?
    A: Make sure you have followed the section “Configuring the Putty client” in the guide Mini Flashing Guide for DIR-300. After configuring, follow the instructions from the section “Loading in the new firmware” in the guide Mini Flashing Guide for DIR-300
  9. Q: I am using the DIR-301 but I cannot get into RedBoot using your guide. Why?
    A: There has been changes in the DIR-301. You can read about it here
  10. Q: I locked myself out of my dd-wrt web interface. What can I do?
    A: You would need to perform the 30-30-30 reset. Do take note that all settings will be lost. To do a 30-30-30 reset you must push the reset button with your router powered on. Hold it for 30 seconds with the router powered on. Still holding it, pull the power cord for 30 seconds. Still holding it, plug the power cord back in. You would have held the reset button for full 90 seconds without releasing it.

84 thoughts on “DIR-300 FAQ

• September 30, 2008 at 6:14 am

when i donwgrade the firmarware RC7 to RC5 i kill my DIR300… i was Trying getting into RedBoot and start from the section “Loading in the new firmware” but, the Putty´s windows close…. the router only have the LAN01 and the power ligths … , if a press reset , nothing hapends… ooo , my english suks, i´m from argentina, pls, help !! it´s dead ¿ how can i make to recover my DIR300 ?

• September 30, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Help,

Follow the instructions for “Q: My Putty window closed while flashing the firmware! What should I do?”

• October 11, 2008 at 1:42 am

oh no. i successfullt it, but how do i go into the settings page? i connected my router using the LAN hole not the WAN hole, and cant seem to find any ip into the the router settings. tried 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.2

also, the only LED lighting up is the power LED and the 1st LAN light. is it normal? i havent plugged any other lan cables into any other holes except for 1st lan

• October 20, 2008 at 2:54 am

Hey, I accidentally flashed when the .ram when it should have been the .rom and now my DIR-300 is dead (no RedBoot). I assume I’m SOOL here, right? 🙁
    Note to self: Stupidity will be punished. always.

• October 20, 2008 at 10:51 am

despair89,

Try using DHCP.

jesus,

I can’t help on that as I’ve yet to come across that situation. Perhaps you can try telnet to address 192.168.1.1 on port 9000?

• October 20, 2008 at 7:30 pm

I don’t even get the LAN LED and WAN isn’t working either, so, yea, bricked it is, I assume. Thanks for the response in any case!
    Ah well, I bought a replacement (DIR-100) now… (which can’t run DD-WRT, but at least it’s working, heh)…

• October 22, 2008 at 7:31 pm

hey.
    my tfpt server says it cant transfer ap61.ram. permission timeout. is there a way i am supposed to load the file on he server. sorry a bit of a noob

• October 23, 2008 at 9:21 pm

zubair,

Try to locate where does your tftp server serves the file (the directory it is pointing at) and make sure ap61.ram is in that directory.

• December 2, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Hi. I want to my DIR-300 to connect to AP of my provider and distribute Internet in my flat. I need also it to be visible as access point. So I selected Client/Client Bridge mode and I added virtual wireless interface working as AP. But it doesn’t work. I don’t see SSID of virtual AP. When I select first interface as AP i can see my DIR-300 as two AP’s but every configuration with wireless Client or Client Bridge makes that router becomes invisible. So my questions are:
    *is it possible to configure DIR-300 to work as AP and Client simultaneously?
    *what I need to change in my configuration to make virtual AP working?

• December 22, 2008 at 11:22 am

Hi. I am a complete noob and i’m having trouble loading the ap61.ram file. I have the tftp server running and the file is in the server working path. the error message i keep getting is

RedBoot> load ap61.ram
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    Can’t load ‘ap61.ram’: access violation

is there something I have to do? I’m using OS X.5

Cheers!

• December 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm

dgtcreator,

Yes you can do it. You would need to device a virtual interface for the wlan. One of them would be in client mode and the other in AP mode.

• December 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm

beef,

Perhaps you need to do some permission setting on the file? Not sure about OSX but make sure the tftp daemon has read and execution permission to the folder containing ap61.ram and read access to ap61.ram

• December 28, 2008 at 4:10 am

Hey i need some help. I bought a DIR-300 and its software is in German. Could anyone tell me how to change the language in English. Thx in advance.

• December 28, 2008 at 11:12 am

chris,

Do contact your local D-Link support for assistance.

• January 16, 2009 at 12:13 am

Ok, now it is working. The problem was I was doing the whole job while connected to the wan port. As soon as I did the from the second part (the one that starts with fconfig -i) on connected to the lan port it worked! (I might have missed that comment on the guide).

• February 7, 2009 at 3:26 pm

After folowing the guide I can not connect to the dir-300. Not by LAN not by WAN. Strange thing I noticed was at the end I did get 0.0.37.128 as local IP where it should be blank. I was not able to erase this.

Boot script timeout (1000ms resolution): 3
    Use BOOTP for network configuration: false
    Gateway IP address:
    Local IP address: 0.0.37.128
    Local IP address mask:
    Default server IP address:
    Console baud rate: 9600
    GDB connection port: 9000
    Force console for special debug messages: false
    Network debug at boot time: false
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0×80ff0000-0×81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> reset

hope someone can help

• February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm

jesus: i have bricked my’s to (i think) buts im in better state than you!, mine doesn’s respond, but the leds works very fine!! hahaha… 🙁 …

• February 22, 2009 at 7:54 am

can DIR-300 function as WIFI CLIENT and WIFI AP simultaneously?
    I have AP with internet (not D-Link), and I want my DIR-300 to act as WIFI client to that host router, and at the same time to give internet access to my floor. so is this possible?
    is it tested?
    is there a blocking know problems with DIR-300?

thanks

• February 22, 2009 at 11:09 am

zamboor,

Yes. You can run it in WiFi client and WiFi AP simultaneously by specifying virtual interface.

• February 22, 2009 at 6:05 pm

generally, you would recommend this device for the functionality I need ?
    which router if not dir-300 you would recommend?

does kismet work with atheros dir-300?

• February 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm

zamboor,

For kismet/kismet drone, try using openwrt. Not sure if kismet supports atheros.

• March 3, 2009 at 2:39 am

I had exactly the same problem as below: What can I do now?

Boot script timeout (1000ms resolution): 3
    Use BOOTP for network configuration: false
    Gateway IP address:
    Local IP address: 0.0.37.128
    Local IP address mask:
    Default server IP address:
    Console baud rate: 9600
    GDB connection port: 9000
    Force console for special debug messages: false
    Network debug at boot time: false
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0×80ff0000-0×81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> reset

hope someone can help

ruff rider February 7th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

• March 3, 2009 at 7:07 am

Maurice,

try using the command

fconfig bootp_my_ip

• March 3, 2009 at 7:49 am

Thank you shadowandy. The problem is I can’t use telnet. it always pop out.

• March 3, 2009 at 8:04 am

Sometimes, I can see DD-WRT in the available wireless, but there will be no response and then it disppear from the available wireless. I can’ use putty. When I connect ethernet with Lan of DIR-300, i can see the connection set up, but soon it will disconnect. So telnet can’t be used. I also tried to “getting into RedBoot” by connecting to wan port. But It does not work. Please help me.

• March 3, 2009 at 8:29 am

Maurice,

Try setting your computer’s IP to be 0.0.37.1 and telnet to 0.0.37.128 on port 9000 instead.

• March 3, 2009 at 6:55 pm

The problem is that the ip address can’t be set with ‘0’ in begining. I want to know how to set new IP address to the router. Thank you!

• March 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Whether ruff rider has solve the problem?

• March 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Maurice,

fconfig bootp_my_ip 192.168.1.1

• March 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

shadowandy, sorry for my silly question. Should I connect my ethernet to wan port or lan port of the router? How can I getting to redboot>….?

• March 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I think the problem is:
    1. how to get a stable connect between router and ethernet. I can see the disconnect around 10 seconds later, this cause the failure of the futher procedure
    2. How to rename ip address to my router

• March 7, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Hi

I just (tried to) follow the steps in http://www.shadowandy.net/wp/2007/09/mini-flashing-guide-for-dir-300.htm
    but apparently something went wrong. I have done all the steps in the guide but after the final “reset”, my router keeps rebooting in cycles. It answers to 192.168.1.1 pings for 4-5 seconds and then reboots again.

I have tried to do the 30-30-30 reset but it does not appear to make any difference. I can get in with telnet 192.168.1.1 9000 (hold reset and power up) but I loose the connection very quick as the router reboots again. The telnet server does not seems to be RedBoot but welcomes me with “==Executing boot scripts in 1.960 seconds – enter ^C to abort”. Pushing ^C does not get me into DD-WRT> promt.

Router is ver. A1, F/W 1.04.
    DD-WRT used is 24 SP1 build 10020

Can something be done to get it working so I can try to flash it again or to original FW or is it dead meat now?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

• March 8, 2009 at 6:37 am

I got to DD-WRT> promt with putty script. Tryed to redo all the steps and came to the same result – rebooting in cycles.

I can see however some differences in expected output and the my telnet:

The guide:
    DD-WRT> fis init
    About to initialize [format] FLASH image system – continue (y/n)? y
    *** Initialize FLASH Image System
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0×807f0000-0×80800000 at 0xbffe0000: .

My telnet:
    DD-WRT> fis init
    About to initialize [format] FLASH image system – continue (y/n)? y
    *** Initialize FLASH Image System
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .

Can it be related to the issue I am having?

• March 8, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Kira,

I’ve a set with the same memory address as yours. But I don’t face any problem in flashing it to dd-wrt and eventually back to original firmware.

My guess is that your router didn’t load dd-wrt. Make sure you don’t interrupt the flashing of the linux partition.

• March 8, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Thank you shadowandy!

I solved/made a workaround with following:

fconfig boot_script_timeout 20

It works ok now. I am not as technical to dig into why but after playing with Boot script fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7 VS fis load -l linux I noticed that it made a difference and specifing vmlinux.bin.l7 (which did not exist on the system) would not result in ever-reboting cycle. => I increased timeout and it’s ok now. However, the timeout value did not help in V24 SP1 but it did in V24 preSP2 which I am running now.

Thanks for the great guides BTW. Maybe you could replace “×” with “x” when you could as copy/paste doesn’t work with all commands. Example: DD-WRT> fis create -l 0×30000 -e 0xbfc00000 RedBoot

Hope life is good in Sing 🙂

• March 8, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Kira,

Glad that you managed to solve it. Actually toying with boot_script_timeout will increase the time your router takes to boot up. You can perhaps increase to 8 is enough. Original value was 3.

The x issue is due to my wordpress which I’ve no control of it. Made a note in the flashing guide.

Life in Singapore is still ok. Bumpy economy though.

• March 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hi Shadowandy, I got new DIR-300 from the reseller. I got it flashed to mini, but I can’t get it connect it 192.168.1.1, so I upgrade to standard version, but the problem continues.

If I set my computer “obtain IP address automatically”, there will be no connection setup. If I set my computer “192.168.1.2” then I can see the connection, but I failed to logon 192.168.1.1. You know that’s the page to set router. Can you help me?

• March 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Hello shadowandy, my router can obtail ip address automatically today, and I found the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 but I can’t log on 192.168.1.1 to admin.

• March 18, 2009 at 2:40 am

I have the same problem than Maurice, i have flashed my Dir 300 flawlessly and i can open 192.168.1.1 in my web browser, but when it asks for my username and password I enter root/admin as username/ password it keeps telling me it’s incorrect.

• March 18, 2009 at 4:02 pm

GeraX,

Try resetting your DIR-300 according to the instructions for 30-30-30.

• March 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I need help. I cannot get my DIR 300 to work. See some of my mistakes below. Hope you can help me…

DD-WRT> ^C
    DD-WRT> ip_address -h 192.168.1.2
    IP: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0, Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    Default server: 192.168.1.2
    DD-WRT> fis init
    About to initialize [format] FLASH image system –

continue (y/n)? y
    *** Initialize FLASH Image System
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at

0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> load -r -b 0x80041000 linux.bin
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    Raw file loaded 0x80041000-0x803bafff, assumed entry

Network debug at boot time: false
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue

(y/n)? y
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at

0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> fis load -1 linux
    ** Error: invalid flag ‘1’
    *** invalid ‘fis’ command: invalid arguments
    Usage:

name
    fis write -f -b -l

DD-WRT> fis load -l linux
    Image loaded from 0x80041000-0x802d0c58
    DD-WRT> exec

———————————–
    I openned another window and execute:

^C
    DD-WRT> reset

• March 20, 2009 at 12:04 am

I was able to resolve the issue by following the
    Upgrading to dd-wrt v24 standard… THANKS A LOT! It saves me from buying a new router. Haha!

• March 20, 2009 at 9:46 pm

hello… just flashed my dir 300 firmware today… i think i have done everything but there’s one huge problem my router restarts all the time I have done the 30-30-30 and also cant connect to the web config page… hope someone has an answer to my problem… thanks

P.S already flashed it twice same problem though

• March 24, 2009 at 2:45 am

Hi, i use your guide to flash mi dir300, but at final reset, router reset again and again and again, i can telnet for some seconds and it stops restarting but nothing works i reflash the router and nothing

when i was flashing i make a mistake typing fis create … RebBoot, then i retype the instruction correctly and it runs…

Looking in your guide I see when
    DD-WRT> fconfig
    Run script at boot: true
    Boot script:
    .. fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7 –> this lines does not appear
    .. exec
    Enter script, terminate with empty line
    >> fis load -l linux
    >> exec

can yoy help me please..

• March 24, 2009 at 8:40 am

Edgar Campos,

If your boot script is currently blank, simply fill it up with the correct boot instructions. 🙂

• March 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

Thanks soo much for responds.. but i continue trying.. i reflash several times here the complete process

== Executing boot script in 2.650 seconds – enter ^C to abort
    ^C
    DD-WRT> ip_address -h 192.168.1.2
    IP: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0, Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    Default server: 192.168.1.2
    DD-WRT> load ap61.ram
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    Entry point: 0x800410bc, address range: 0x80041000-0x800680d8
    DD-WRT> go

After those instructions i could connect without any problem.. on wan port

^C
    DD-WRT> fconfig -i
    Initialize non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    Run script at boot: false
    Use BOOTP for network configuration: true
    Default server IP address:
    Console baud rate: 9600
    GDB connection port: 9000
    Force console for special debug messages: false
    Network debug at boot time: false
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> fis init
    About to initialize [format] FLASH image system – continue (y/n)? y
    *** Initialize FLASH Image System
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> ip_address -h 192.168.1.2
    IP: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0, Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    Default server: 192.168.1.2
    DD-WRT> load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} ap61.rom
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    Raw file loaded 0x80080000-0x800a8717, assumed entry at 0x80080000
    DD-WRT> fis create -l 0x30000 -e 0xbfc00000 RedBoot
    An image named ‘RedBoot’ exists – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbfc00000-0xbfc30000: …
    … Program from 0x80080000-0x800a8718 at 0xbfc00000: …
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> reset

The Router restarts and i get connected via telnet normally…

DD-WRT> ^C
    DD-WRT> ip_address -h 192.168.1.2
    IP: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0, Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    Default server: 192.168.1.2
    DD-WRT> fis init
    About to initialize [format] FLASH image system – continue (y/n)? y
    *** Initialize FLASH Image System
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> load -r -b 0x80041000 linux.bin
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    Raw file loaded 0x80041000-0x803d7fff, assumed entry at 0x80041000
    DD-WRT> fis create linux
    … Erase from 0xbfc30000-0xbffc7000: ………………………………………………….
    … Program from 0x80041000-0x803d8000 at 0xbfc30000: ………………………………………………….
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> fconfig boot_script true
    boot_script: Setting to true
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> fconfig boot_script_timeout 3
    boot_script_timeout: Setting to 3
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> fconfig bootp false
    bootp: Setting to false
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> fconfig
    Console baud rate: 9600
    GDB connection port: 9000
    Force console for special debug messages: false
    Network debug at boot time: false
    Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration – continue (y/n)? y
    … Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
    … Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
    DD-WRT> reset

Here the problem… the router restarts… but just responds for about 3 seconds.. then.. nothing.. it doesnt responds on any port…

I plug off the power cord.. then i replug and i get the redboot..

Looking for the boot script here….

== Executing boot script in 0.340 seconds – enter ^C to abort

FIS directory 0xBFFE0000 0xBFFE0000 0x0000F000 0x00000000
    RedBoot config 0xBFFEF000 0xBFFEF000 0x00001000 0x00000000
    DD-WRT>

== Executing boot script in 0.110 seconds – enter ^C to abort
    ^C
    DD-WRT> version

RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
    production release, version “2.1.3” – built 18:43:19, Sep 20 2007

Platform: ap61 (Atheros WiSOC)
    Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Red Hat, Inc.
    Copyright (C) 2007, NewMedia-NET GmbH.

Board: DLINK DIR-300
    RAM: 0x80000000-0x81000000, [0x80040580-0x80fe1000] available
    FLASH: 0xbfc00000 – 0xbfff0000, 64 blocks of 0x00010000 bytes each.

I think all the instructions are ok.. but the router just respond for 3 seconds to get into redboot.. and then nothing…. i leave the router all night conected but it continues die…. the image never starts… i think…

please helpme

thanks..

• April 7, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Hey, i have my tftp server up and running and serving all of the required files to the correct interface. Then i telnet into the dir-300 (yes the local ip is set correctly) and enter “load ap61.ram”, it then says “using default protocol tftp” “illegal tftp operation”. And does not go any further. Please help, what’s causing this? Thanks, you can drop an e-mail to frostmedia@optusnet.com.au Thanks shadowandy, your a genius.

• April 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Hi, i tried the first step doing a 30s reset to my router. I did it 3 times, to figure out how was the right process. But after the third time, my router don´t connect. The wan and Lan port is dead, so the wireless. I didn´t flash anything, and it appear to be dead. The power button is always on, and the others led is always off. Can anyone help me? I tried the 30-30-30, and the router is still the same. There some way to connect to it trought a serial cable, or something else?
    Thanks in advance!

• April 26, 2009 at 11:10 am

Apologies if this is not the correct forum for posting a question on flashing and uploading the dd wrt firmware to the dir-300 router but I have followed the guide but have gotten stuck along the way….

having followed the process through getting into redboot loading ap61.ram and .rom I came to the point where I reset the router through putty/telnet….

the router does not recognize the ethernet cable connected to any of the lan ports but only to the wan port. The wireless functionality also appears to be inactive. I cannot telnet into the router using the appropriate IP given nor any of the IPs used along the way. Ipconfig in cmd prompt reveals nothing. I do not know otherwise how I might determine what IP is current;y assigned to the router… dhcp was I thought off. Please advise as to how I might proceed if I can?

• April 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I wasn’t on dhcp then.. the static IP was applied as suggested. I went back to the lan connection properties to verify this and it was just as set – as per the guide. I am at this point back on dhcp. I had followed the guide word for work and everything was almost exactly as described up until the reset at which point only the wan port became recognised by the router. If an alternative IP has somehow been assigned to the router (not sure how.. if I incorrectly assigned the static ip?),,, how can I determine this and can I go back or proceed in any fashion?

• April 27, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Donal,

You shouldn’t be on DHCP. You should only change to DHCP until you have finish flashing linux.bin

• April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I still not convinced I was on dhcp (all I know for sure is that on resetting the device became inaccessible through the lan port) but assuming I was and the IP is now a random one….. In order to proceed I need now to determine the IP (I thought IPconfig in command prompt would reveal this but it hasn’t so I’m stuck here) or can I reset the local IP and again access redboot (eg 192.168.1.2 with router on 192.168.1.1??)

• April 28, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Donal,

You was the one who told me you are on DHCP. If you are on static IP, ipconfig /all would have shown your configured/defined IP if the link is up. In you previous few posting, you mentioned that “I am at this point back on dhcp” which you shouldn’t be. You should be on STATIC IP.

• May 18, 2009 at 10:17 am

shadowandy, thanks for the guide and all. i have attempted three times to flash my d-link dir-300 to dd-wrt with no success, now i have a third bricked router that i can telnet into but nothing else. please help me, dd-wrt basically told me to piss off as they don’t like being accused so i was wondering if this is normal. btw the hardware revision on my router is A1 if that changes anything at all i thought i would just add that in there. your help is appreciated, you may see that i have posted before without a reply so i thought that i would try again, my previous posts are now irrelevant as i figured out the problem, but that did not save my routers from being screwed. they are $88 EACH, and i have spent alot of money that has effectively gone down the drain. oh and a little question, i have just started my own little wordpress blog (http://hallshalfback.info/wordpress) and was wondering how you got yours to look so nice? thanks anyway, lucas.

• May 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Lucas,

Maybe you want to build a serial to ttl cable. That may revive your router and make your flashing process easier. But you need to solder your DIR-300 board or find some way to secure the ttl pins there. The flashing guide is standard, a lot of people have followed it successfully. Some misread and can’t get it to work. Hope it helps.

• June 14, 2009 at 10:43 am

Hey guys, I need your advice.
    I’m trying to install DD-WRT all night long and I get stuck to the part where you need to load the ap61.rom file. My telnet connection fails and i can’t reconnect. I first thought i need to time it right, but I tried for a whole hour just to connect. Thank God i didn’t brick it.
    Any advice?

• June 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Stormy,

Try setting your IP to 192.168.1.2 and telnet to 192.168.1.1 on port 9000. Just hope that the rom file has been flashed correctly.

• June 18, 2009 at 11:51 pm

hi i followed every step and it worked, first i think but then after the last reset the router is dead… only the power led is on and the led for the lan port where the cable is in. i can not go into redboot or something else there is no connection, only when i reboot the router there are 3-5 successfull pings but then the connection brokes down and restarts… later I found out that the linux.bin wasnt completly downloaded so it was “junk” that i installed… please help me and sorry for my bad english
    greetings valley

• June 28, 2009 at 12:16 am

I need help, is it possible to make my DIR-300 to connect to ethernet cable of my ISP provider and distribute Internet in my PC(using LAN Cable connected to the Dir300). While it is visible as access point in adhoc mode. Like this in the pic, as you can see there are two connections. When I connect my Router, I can only see one connection(Local Area Connection). I want it to be like a second connection as a wireless car. Can I do that? If anyone knows how, please guide me.

• June 29, 2009 at 7:54 pm

help please

• June 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm

mipf,

I am not sure how to make your DIR-300’s connection into a wireless car. If you wish the device to be in wireless client mode, you can check out DD-WRT firmware.

• July 6, 2009 at 9:18 am

Hi there.
    I tried to flash my DIR-300 with DD-WRT and after the first “reset” command all that happened was the power LED being constantly on with no changes whatsoever. So right now the router is not functional, doesn’t respond to any pings, all it does is light up the power LED and stay like that 🙁

Help ASAP please

• July 6, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Funnycat,

Make sure you have connected the Ethernet cable. Try both the WAN and Ethernet port.

• July 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Hey someone please help me I can’t do even a single thing correctly.Every time my internet disconnect when i change my ip 192.168.20.80 and I also don’t know what is telnet.Please Help MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 11, 2009 at 6:41 pm

hi there,
    I flashed my dir300 according to instrucitions on http://www.shadowandy.net/wp/2007/09/mini-flashing-guide-for-dir-300.htm.
    I get the bootloader to work, pumpkin is installed and running. My ip is 192.168.1.2 and the root directory is specified. I just can’t get the bootloader to find the firmware files. Any suggestions anyone? All help will be highly appreciated. I have searched the dd-wrt forums but no one seems to have had this problem.
    Putty into the router goes flawlessly every time, I have 30-30-30 it several times and I have reflashed the dd-wrt bootloader. Nothing helps. My guess is that the router can’t connect to the tftp in my laptop or that the root directory isn’t found when looking for the firmware.

• August 13, 2009 at 6:55 pm

hgunnarb,

Have you tried switching the ethernet ports? e.g. from LAN to WAN or vice versa?

• August 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

shadowandy , thanks for your help here. I’m been trying for two days and still have problems, can you helps?
    I got stucked at the ram part, I load it up, it appears on pumpkin (I tried other TFTP servers aswell) but it times out when i do the “go” line. I’m 100% sure the files are in the folder I indicated in the server. I got my firewalls off.
    I dont know if thast normal, but at redboot it gaves me a message ” cant load cobraart.sys” no entry point know”
    I tried on xp, vista and win7 and have the same problem. can you help me please?
    thanks!

• August 14, 2009 at 3:51 pm

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the telnet connection reboots after the go command, but it says: ap61.ram’ of type ‘OCTET’ is requested from 192.168.20.81
    Transmission of ‘ap61.ram’ is timed out
    Transfer of ‘ap61.ram’ is aborted

• August 21, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I can’t even make the first step. The tftp is running ok, and i think it’s configured properly, but i have that error when i try tu load ‘ap61.ram’ file to the router.

RedBoot> load ap61.ram
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    Can’t load ‘ap61.ram’: Unknown error

• September 9, 2009 at 7:08 am

I done incomplete DD-WRT flash to my dir-300, i failed to do it completely ~ now its bricked! Can not get lan or wan ports to work ~ no led/no connection possible from pc->dir-300. Pinging useless. I done firmware flash of this unit before with the same flash revision and it was successful and worked nicely then I played around out of curiosity and bang done steps incompletely and now its finished….for those who planning to do such a flashing….be attentive to all the steps carefully and maximum details because contrary could be ruined forever:)

• September 11, 2009 at 7:42 am

Hello shadowandy,

I’ve flashed my DIR-300N from dd-wrt v2.4 back to original firmware as you described in another article. But I have to get used to this firmware interface for I’ve been with dd-wrt for almost 1 year.

Unfortunately, I got stuck with access control setting where I set all of my interface IP address to access the network in certain time period. I didn’t know that the setting prevented my computer to access the web interface as well. I thought the time setting was messed up since I couldn’t access the network in the specified time period.

I’ve done factory default reset as you instructed in this article, but after several tries, I didn’t manage. As an indication, all wireless settings didn’t change to default.

FYI, I also repeat the flashing back procedure starting from uploading original firmware point. But the situation was still the same. Do you have any idea what happened or suggestion how to overcome the problem?
    Thanks before.

• September 13, 2009 at 10:18 am

Faisal,

You have locked yourself out of the web interface after setting the access control settings? In this case, doing a factory reset is correct. You have to set your computer to be on DHCP mode and likely you have to browse to the D-Link’s web interface at http://192.168.0.1 to reconfigure the device.

• December 25, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Hi there,

i have a DIR-300 with the latest DD-WRT (13064). Everything works fine except for the wireless function. It doesnt show up in the routers config.

I really want to use it – but i dont have any idea how to fix it.

I would be glad if someone could help me with that.

Cheerz

• January 9, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Hi there. I was wondering if DIR-300 with the original firmware can be overclocked. It has a telnet daemon.

BusyBox v1.00 (2009.03.27-03:15+0000) Built-in shell (msh)
    Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# help

Built-in commands:
    ——————-
    . : break cd continue eval exec exit export help login newgrp
    read readonly set shift times trap umask wait

#
    #
    \[ echo killall rgbin tlogs
    arpping egrep klogd rgcfg touch
    asession expr lld2d rgdb tr
    atp false ln rm trigger
    basename fgrep logger rmmod true
    bdtool free login route udhcpc
    brctl fresetd ls scheduled udhcpd
    busybox genuuid lsmod scut umount
    cabletest\:1 gethostip mfc sed uname
    cabletest\:2 grep mkdir sendmail upnpdev
    cabletest\:3 gunzip mknod sgi upnpkits
    cabletest\:4 gzip modprobe sh uptime
    cabletest\:5 henan mount sleep usockc
    cat hnap msh slinktype vconfig
    chmod hostapd mv smtpclient wan
    chnet hostname neaps stats wc
    cp httpd ntpclient submit wfadev
    ctest hubei pap_crack switch wfanotify
    cut ifconfig peanut sys widget
    date igmpproxy pfile syslog wlanconfig
    dayconvert init ping syslogd wlxmlpatch
    dhcpplus insmod portt tar wps
    dhcpxmlpatch ip pppd tc xgi
    diagnostic iptables ps tcprequest xmldb
    dirname iwconfig psts telnetd xmldbc
    dnrd iwpriv pwd test yes
    dyndns kill reboot time zcat

Any idea if it can be done? Cheers

• January 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Too bad. I had one with a heatsink already. ^^ Very well then, thanks for the reply.

• January 18, 2010 at 6:36 am

I have a DIR-615 that I flashed dd-wrt presp2 on it and I want to revert back to the original firmware.

It helped me a lot the info I got from your blog combined with the info on dd-wrt forums.
    I can’t tftp into my router no matter how hard I try. I didn’t try to connect to it through the wan port, though.

I’ve read dd-wrt forums thouroughly the last two days and I’ve seen no mention of the port 9000. Is that such a big secret?!!?!?:)

1. Will the DIR-300 tutorial work for my DIR-61 rev D1?(UK made)
    2. Is there anything more I need to do or know, besides creating the “shadowandy_board_config.bin” so I can restore wifi functions of the router?
    3. After doing all that, will my router restore completley, will it function correctly, or should I expect small “issues”?

Anyway I hope you’ll get back to me.

Greets

• January 22, 2010 at 8:17 am

kukubau,

I didn’t try installing dd-wrt on DIR-615 before as it wasn’t official supported. Perhaps you could try flashing the original firmware through the emergency recovery page. Otherwise, you can check with dd-wrt crew or the one who provided the instructions to flash dd-wrt on the DIR-615.

Without a DIR-615, I won’t know what issues would you face when you flash back to original firmware.

• January 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm

kukubau,

Maybe you might want to try flashing d-link original firmware via the emergency recovery page (if there is one).

You can read more about emergency recovery page in the section Getting into Emergency Recovery Page of Flashing DIR-300 back to original firmware.

• March 18, 2010 at 12:42 am

I have googled quite a bit on this issue but have seen peoples post but no solid answers. When running “load ap61.ram” the tftp transfer times out after transfering 164352 bytes out of a total of around 165000 bytes. My firewall is turned off and I have tried using 2 different tftp servers. What could be causing this issue?

• May 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Hi veryone!
    I have the following problem:

RedBoot> load ap61.ram
    /releases/svn.porsche/redboot-ar231x/redboot-ar231x/redboot_cobra/ecos/packages/devs/eth/mips/ar531x/current/src/ae531xecos.c#390:ae531x_send AHB ERROR: AR531X_DEBUG_ERROR = 0000c34f
    /releases/svn.porsche/redboot-ar231x/redboot-ar231x/redboot_cobra/ecos/packages/devs/eth/mips/ar531x/current/src/ae531xecos.c#393:ae531x_send AHB ERROR status_4 = 00000555
    /releases/svn.porsche/redboot-ar231x/redboot-ar231x/redboot_cobra/ecos/packages/devs/eth/mips/ar531x/current/src/ae531xecos.c#390:ae531x_send AHB ERROR: AR531X_DEBUG_ERROR = 00000555
    /releases/svn.porsche/redboot-ar231x/redboot-ar231x/redboot_cobra/ecos/packages/devs/eth/mips/ar531x/current/src/ae531xecos.c#393:ae531x_send AHB ERROR status_4 = 00000145
    Using default protocol (TFTP)
    TFTP timed out 1/15
    Can’t load ‘ap61.ram’: operation timed out
    RedBoot>

What I can do?
    Thanks!

• June 6, 2010 at 4:10 pm

shadowandy,

First of all, thanks for taking the time of putting up all this helpful info. I’m having the same problem as shahfar, the ap61.ram file starts to transfer but it times out 1780 bytes less than the original file size. I’m having this same problem with PumpKIN and Tftpd32. I’ve already disabled my router and software firewalls, as well as having tried with DMZ enabled or disabled with no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!