MLDonkey 2.9.7

Compiled MLDonkey 2.9.7 (max_bt_uploaders patched + missing torrents fix) for the DNS-323!

1. mldonkey lite – supports filetp, bittorrent
  2. mldonkey lite (no gd) – supports filetp, bittorrent
  3. mldonkey normal – supports filetp, bittorrent, edonkey
  4. mldonkey normal (no gd) – supports filetp, bittorrent, edonkey
  5. mldonkey full – supports filetp, bittorrent, edonkey, directconnect
  6. mldonkey full (no gd) – supports filetp, bittorrent, edonkey, directconnect

Note: MLDonkey (except no gd) is compiled with graphical libraries. Hence you would need to install gd-2.0.35-1.tgz (or newer), libjpeg-6b-1.tgz (or newer) and libpng-1.2.29-1.tgz (or newer) on your NAS before you can start mlnet. Other wise you will see the message “can’t load library ‘libgd.so.2′” and/or “can’t load library ‘libjpeg.so.62′” in your mlnet.log.

Installation

Download the necessary package and place it on Volume_1 of your NAS (DNS-343, DNS-323, DNS-313). Telnet to your NAS and type the following commands

/ # cd /mnt/HD_a2
/mnt/HD_a2 # funpkg -i mldonkey-2.9.7-lite-1.tgz
Installing package mldonkey-2.9.7-lite …

Running mldonkey

To run mldonkey, simply issue the command “/ffp/start/mlnet.sh start”.

/mnt/HD_a2 # sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start
Starting mlnet

MLDonkey takes some time to setup the necessary files. Default download directory has been set to “/mnt/HD_a2/mldonkey” or simple the mldonkey folder in Volume_1.

To make MLDonkey auto-run on reboot, simply issue the following command

/mnt/HD_a2 # chmod a+x /ffp/start/mlnet.sh

Configuring MLDonkey if you are running it for the first time

You would need to configure the settings so you can access the web interface. Execute the following commands.

/mnt/HD_a2 # telnet 127.0.0.1 4000
Welcome to MLDonkey 2.9.6
Welcome on mldonkey command-line
Use ? for help
> auth admin “”
Full access enabled
SECURITY WARNING: user admin has an empty password, use command: useradd admin password
> set allowed_ips “127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255”
option allowed_ips value changed
options and sources saved
MLdonkey command-line:
> exit
Connection closed by foreign host

Accessing the web interface

After configuring the settings, you can direct your web browser to http://<NAS’s IP>:4080.

Do leave your comments at MLDonkey for DNS-323

Like to buy shadowandy a cup of Starbucks?

FAQ

The FAQ for setting up MLDonkey can be found here.

98 thoughts on “MLDonkey 2.9.7

• January 27, 2009 at 7:25 am

Hi Andy, thanks for the update! I’ve got the folowing error (i’m sorry if this question is asked about a million times, but I really want to know and I have not been able to find the solution yet), when I start the application I get the permission denied reply. Annoying! Can you please help me out here? Thanks you very much.

• January 27, 2009 at 10:14 am

Ben,

How did you start it? Start it using “sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start”

• January 27, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Andy, when I try to start it that way I get this:

/ffp/bin/sh: Ssh: not found

• January 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Robb,

It is sh and not ssh

• January 28, 2009 at 12:16 am

I copied and pasted the “sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start” command directly into my telnet window.

• January 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Andy, 2.9.6 had been running OK until yesterday. I had killed the core the night before because I needed the resources. Last night I rebooted my drive and restarted ML but it wasn’t connecting and several active torrents were missing. I added several torrents but none of them started and the torrents listed in my DL’s weren’t active. I updated to 2.9.7, restarted, and let it run all night but still nothing – the listed torrents aren’t active and the new torrents aren’t showing up.

Any ideas?

• January 29, 2009 at 6:39 am

Robb,

How did you solve your previous problem? Did you type the command wrongly or you started MLDonkey using a different way?

• January 29, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Rebooted.

• January 30, 2009 at 4:03 am

Hi, Andy

Thank for super nice job you’ve done. Now I’m setting fresh installation on DNS323 and consider using this new version. I hope there is no bt_max_uploaders problems. I used 2.9.6 patched by you and everything was working. How this problem in 2.9.7 ?

Regards

• January 30, 2009 at 11:46 am

Hi, Andy
    Thanks for your compiling.
    Would you release a build without gd support?
    We’d like to have less resource coonsuming……

• January 31, 2009 at 6:05 am

Hi, Andy

It seems that max_bt_uploaders works correct, but I have one very strange issue. Some newly added torrents dissapear after core restart. Torrent file itself sits in /home/torrents/downloads and I can even see part file in tem directory, but I can’t see torrent inthe list. If I try to add it again I get message that torrent allready exists. Have you seen this behaviour before? Maybe you have ideas whats wrong ?

• January 31, 2009 at 8:40 am

kenyloveg,

Let me try compiling it one of these days. Cheers!

alpha,

thanks for testing out the max_bt_uploaders part. Regarding the newly added torrents disappearing after core restart, it seems that it only occurred in this version. Guess I will check out MLDonkey forum. Kinda busy these few days. 😐

• January 31, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Hi, Andy

I’ll check forums too. It seems some kind of bug. Please write me here or email when you have some spare time.

• January 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm

been having problem with the fun pack.. event though i place those two files there and reboot but it will not extract.. futhermore, telnetting to the dns323 seems to be a problem. i;m using putty to telnet to the localhost still unable to!! =(

• January 31, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Shidi,

You would need to fun_plug the dns-323 in order to have telnet function.

• February 1, 2009 at 1:44 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I get the message when I Start mldonkey:

Exception: bind failed: Address already in use at port 6881

I am guessing because I have the DLink firmware that has the bittorrent client on it as well, how can I temporary disable the dlink torrent client?

Thanks.

• February 1, 2009 at 11:13 am

Port,

Refer to the MLDonkey FAQ.

• February 1, 2009 at 11:25 am

kenyloveg,

Check the post. Updated with no gd cores.

• February 1, 2009 at 2:09 pm

i place the fun pack already but it does not auto extract after reboot. now i formated both the hd but its still in ntfs instead of ext2??
    how ar?? hmmm

• February 1, 2009 at 2:20 pm

shidi,

What you meant by you “formatted both hd but its still in ntfs instead of ext2”?

DNS-323 doesn’t support NTFS natively. What NAS are you using?

Setting up fonz’s fun_plug is very straight forward on the DNS-323 as long as you can understand simple instructions.

• February 1, 2009 at 2:36 pm

after i formated both the hd using standard individual option it finish off as ext2.. reboot and i cant view both the contents of the hd’s so i remove both hd and insert it back on the dns323 and it showed up as ntfs format!! =/

• February 1, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for this good tool.

I managed to get mldonkey running.

However, I use private torrent sites and I have issues with both of the two sites I use:

SITE 1: TorrentLeech, I paste the URL, and it said prsing wahtever, but then when I click on transfers, I do not see my new entry..

SITE 2: hd-bits[dot]ro, different problem, I paste URL, and I see the new torrent, but then when I go to status, it says:
    Tracker is disabled, “–error: Invalid passkey! Re-download the .torrent from http://hd-bits.ro (try 1)”

Now, when I download exactly the same file to utorrent in windows, it works ok! I cannot figure out why mldonkey doesn’t work..

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• February 1, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Some more info on torrentleech, in the log I Get:

2009/02/01 01:51:08 [DNS] could not resolve , check URL

But the same torrent works ok with utorrent.. I cannot see the torrent file it got because in case of torrent leech, the files doesn’t even get saved in the torrents dir.

I downloaded the torrent file myself and it looks like this:

Could the problem be the port number in the URL for torrent leech?

Thanks.

• February 1, 2009 at 3:11 pm

shidi,

Call up D-Link helpdesk on how to set up your DNS-323. Else the user manual should help as well. 🙂

Else sooner or later people will start messaging me for warranty/product support.

• February 1, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Chad,

refer to the developer’s page for help on why your private site files doesn’t work.

• February 1, 2009 at 3:17 pm

hahaha… tks shad.. i was wondering too how come its on ntfs and no wonder the fun_pack couldnt extract after reboot..

aneway i got it cheap inclusive of 2 HD’s… =p

• February 1, 2009 at 3:20 pm

should i format it again on raid standard option or raid 0 (stripping)

• February 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm

shidi,

Great for you. 🙂

• February 1, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Thanks Andy, you are awsome

• February 2, 2009 at 2:22 am

I have noticed just one more issue. You can’t set option BT-max_uploaders_per_torrent higher than 3 (after restarting it set again to 3). This is also big problem… Have anyone has the same issue ?

• February 2, 2009 at 2:34 am

I forgot to mention that I have max_upload_slots=60, BT-max_bt_uploaders=40 and I want to set BT-max_uploaders_per_torrent > 3, but with no success.

• February 2, 2009 at 6:34 am

alpha,

Guess it requires patching too. Will do it later :), Pretty weird they didn’t fix this problem in this release.

• February 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

Hi, Andy,

Thanks for your effort. I will wait for patch very much, because of this problem I have very low upload rate 🙁
    I’ll be patient. By the way, have you saw new thread about torrent dissapearing. One guy is helping. Will see what we get in the end of all this. Good day to you !

• February 3, 2009 at 8:34 pm

alpha,

Try replacing “kill -9” with “kill”. Just remove the -9 and see if it helps.. I just realized I should attempt to kill the process gracefully without specifying -9

• February 4, 2009 at 12:37 am

Hi Andy,

I’ve just tested it. Everything seems to be ok. Torrent is not dissapearing. Only after stopping core you can see active mldonkey process with “ps” command for 10-15 second. Sfter that it’s killed and after restarting torrent is ok. Thank you Andy !

P.S. bt_max_uploaders_per_torrent issue is still active. Please try to fix it as soon as you’ll have some spare time. I’ll test it gladly 😉

• February 4, 2009 at 5:47 am

Hi Andy,

I wanted to know if you ever tried to compile a version for the netgear readynas? I tried it but the core only works for several minutes, then it crashes with an “Fatal error: out-of-bound access in array or string”. The result is I have to reboot my nas because the allocated ram will remain in nirvana. 🙁

regards PHil

• February 4, 2009 at 9:30 am

Hi Andy,

Please let me know on functionality side, what will I miss if I use the no gd version? Does it still have a web UI? Sounds like no gd uses much less resources so I want to know before I install.

thanks

• February 4, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Shad,

i followed ur tutorial and got everything up and ready but when i download a torrent, it seems that the torrent does not start to download.. and also the port forwarding issues e.g. the client port and tracker port which value should i change instead of using the common port ?

• February 4, 2009 at 9:04 pm

alpha,

Download the binaries. Have fixed the mlnet.sh as well as the max_bt_uploaders. Thanks for the testing all these while.

• February 4, 2009 at 9:05 pm

PHil,

Unfortunately I didn’t try compiling a version on the ReadyNAS. The harddisk it was running on crashed and I’ve yet to get another HDD to run it.

Just curious. Where did you get the binaries to run on your ReadyNAS?

• February 4, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Ray,

The gd version has got graphic speed stats so that you could see the speed trends for the past hour or so.

The no-gd version doesn’t come with that and therefore save some cpu and mem by not drawing those images.

• February 4, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Shidi,

Make sure you have forwarded the required ports on your router. And perhaps try download Open Office and see if it works.

• February 4, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I tried it myself. 🙂 with
    apt-get I took:

apt-get install telnet
    apt-get install gcc
    apt-get install g++
    apt-get install libc6-dev
    apt-get install ocaml-nox ocaml-native-compilers
    apt-get install zlib1g-dev
    apt-get install libbz2-dev
    apt-get install libgd2-noxpm-dev
    apt-get install libmagic-dev

complete how to on readynas.com forum.
    and than i tried different solutions to compile.

1. I tried to compile it with super-poussin’s [user from readynas.com] changed charsetstub.c.
    Result-> Fatal error: out-of-bound access in array or string
    2. Then I tried it witout any modifiaction in the charsetstubs.c
    Result-> Fatal error: out-of-bound access in array or string
    3. Now I tried my luck with the ./configure –disable-donkeysui –disable-magic –build=sparc-linux

• February 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm

PHil,

I see. Not sure if you should apt-get the ocaml. Perhaps getting it to compile natively on your ReadyNAS is better.

Perhaps try ./configure –disable-donkey –disable-donkeysui –enable-batch

• February 4, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Andy,

for that must I uninstall ocaml?

• February 5, 2009 at 12:36 am

Hi Andy,

I uninstaller old version using funpkg -r mldonkey……tgz and installed with -i option. No files deleted manually and I can say “bt_uploaders_per_torrent” option issue is not solved and mlnet.sh is solved. Please look at your code what could be wrong. Thanks for your efforts.

• February 5, 2009 at 3:03 am

Andy,
    with your idea I get following message:
    NAS:~/mldonkey-2.9.7-bat# ./configure –disable-donkey –disable-donkeysui –enable-batch
    Arguments to configure: ‘–disable-donkey’ ‘–disable-donkeysui’ ‘–enable-batch’
    checking for gcc… gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name… a.out
    checking whether the C compiler works… yes
    checking whether we are cross compiling… no
    checking for suffix of executables…
    checking for suffix of object files… o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler… yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g… yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89… none needed
    checking how to run the C preprocessor… gcc -E
    checking build system type… ./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2007-07-22, has failed to recognize
    the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
    download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

and

If the version you run (./config.guess) is already up to date, please
    send the following data and any information you think might be
    pertinent to in order to provide the needed
    information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2007-07-22

/usr/bin/oslevel =
    /usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_MACHINE = padre
    UNAME_RELEASE = 2.6.17.8ReadyNAS
    UNAME_SYSTEM = Linux
    UNAME_VERSION = #1 Thu Dec 18 12:06:56 PST 2008
    configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

Do you have another idea…..? P l e a s e 🙂

• February 5, 2009 at 6:46 am

alpha,

It is working on my side. Just that seems like the patch doesn’t save the value across reboot. Would need a new patch to rectify the saving problem. 🙂

Also make sure that max_upload_slots > bt_max_bt_uploaders > bt_uploaders_per_torrent

• February 5, 2009 at 6:48 am

Done the port forward already leave it overnight and still having low speed downloads.. and one more thing event thought i set mldonkey to auto start on boot it doesnt seems to be online. I had to manually start it via telnet..
    hmmm…

• February 5, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Hi Andy,

I can manually change value in bittorrent.ini, but in automatically changes to 3 on load. Maybe I installed patch in wrong way ? The requirement “max_upload_slots > bt_max_bt_uploaders > bt_uploaders_per_torrent” is set ok. So wait for you response 😉

• February 10, 2009 at 7:48 am

HI,

i try to download in webinfo my node.gzip,but i have this error

Exception Failure(“Unknown kind [nodes.gzip]”)

and do you have a link for contact.dat?

tk

• February 10, 2009 at 10:59 am

Andy,

Still having problems here. It’s not connecting to any servers.

• February 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

Robb,

For troubleshooting on the usage of MLDonkey. Refer to the developers’ site.

• February 10, 2009 at 11:21 am

hom,

For the usage of MLDonkey. Refer to the developers’ site. 🙂

• February 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thanks Andy. I think I’ve isolated the problem: something is blocking my DNS323 from connecting to servers. I’ve installed Transmission and it’s not able to connect to anything either.

• February 12, 2009 at 4:08 am

Hi Andy,

Don’t forget about me and about max_uploaders_per_torrent issue. I’m still coming to your site 4 times a day and wait for new compilation 😉

• February 12, 2009 at 8:49 am

alpha,

Yeap. I’m waiting for an updated patch. It seems like it is possible to set max_uploaders_per_torrent just that it doesn’t persist upon reboot.

I’ve a full time job so could only do such compilation and testing when I reach home early. 🙂

• February 12, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Hi Andy,

I understand. I have work too and know what it is to have no time. I just sit and wait with hope that you someday will have time and recompile all the things 🙂 Good luck.

• February 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm

hi andy,
    could you please uploaded the mldonkey on your site again? i cant seemed to download it.

thanks

• February 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm

alpha,

I tried the cvs copy and patch. It has the same issue, max_uploaders_per_torrent doesn’t persist upon reboot. It resets to 3. However, it does changes to a value greater than 3 like my previous release.

• February 15, 2009 at 4:39 am

Hi Andy,

So if I understand correctly there is no chance to fix issue ? There is also another problem. You can’t download file > 2GB via torrent or FileTP. It just don’t put file onto queue. Also if you can’t use sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh restart because when you change “kill -9” then it just can’t instantly stop and restart. But this is not a problem. We have two problems: max_uploaders_per_torrent and 2GB issue. So what do you suggest ?

• February 15, 2009 at 1:11 pm

alpha,

I am not one of the developers of MLDonkey so I do not know how can all these be rectified. Perhaps you may want to go back to 2.9.6 since 2.9.7 release isn’t officially release in its download repository.

• February 16, 2009 at 1:55 am

Hi Andy,

Thats ok with 2.9.7. We’ll wait for new releases. Thank you for you work and support and I know that you are not developer of MLDonkey 😉 We just wait. I think that issue with 2GB files is somehow related to DNS323, not to MLDonkey, but we will see.

• February 17, 2009 at 1:08 am

By the way…. I have tested if really BT-max_bt_uploaders_per_torrent works until reboot. No, it not work. Value is saved until reboot, but its not active. 3 uploaders for one torrent is the maximum and no matter what is temporary set in BT-max_bt_uploaders_per_torrent.
    Just wanted you to know.

• February 26, 2009 at 5:12 am

Hi Andy,

I just thought you might be interested in my testings. So I have tested version 2.9.7 for several weeks and found so much issues that I downgraded to 2.9.6. Except those mentioned above there was issue with some trackers. Some of them do not calculate up/down ratio. It seems that you aren’t seeding. You upload 10-15 GB per day, but tracker do not register this. So it was very big issue. I have no problems after downgrade. I know, this info I should write to MLDonkey forums, but I thought you are interested too. I think we all wait for official release of 2.9.7 and hope it would be better.

• February 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm

alpha,

Actually mldonkey version is now at 3.0.0. I’ve compiled it but the max uploader per torrent has yet to be fixed. Hence I didn’t release. But it fixes a major security flaw in previous releases. Was wondering if I should release it or wait for the developers to fix the max uploader issue.

• February 26, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your effort very much and for supporting MLDonkey ! I think releasing is worth a try. I think I could test it (it seems that I’m some kind of beta tester 🙂 ). max uploader per torrent is not so much annoying issue. We can live with it. The most important is compatibility with most trackers. If you think that its not the time for release then you could compile one for me for testing. I use normal (BitTorrent, eDonkey, FileTP) without GD. So if you do, I’ll test. Also you can write me private and say your email for communications and not flooding this forum.

• March 5, 2009 at 11:02 pm

hi Andy,
    could you please confirm me if the fasttrack network is compiled in this version?.
    I am trying to make fasttrack works, but it seems that its not there.
    Ivan.

• March 6, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Ivan,

I’ve left out fasttrack but had forgotten to remove it in the description.

• March 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I managed to get mldonkey-3.0.0-full-nogd operational despite being a complete noob along with lighttpd-1.4.21. However I wanted to get lighttpd operating on port 80. I managed that, but now mldonkey seems to be broken. Mlnet starts & you can see it when you do a ps in a telnet window, but it shuts itself down after a short while. It is not possible to telnet 127.0.0.1 4000. I get a connection refused message.

Any ideas? I went back to my original setup with lighttpt on port 8080, but that did not help with mldonkey.

• April 26, 2009 at 6:44 pm

hi shadowandy,
    thanks for your help on this! greatly appreciated!
    however, I have followed every installation step list and all looks good…
    only thing is… i am not downloading anything!
    Searched for a couple of files available in MLD, and these files are shown in the downloads column. only problem, nothing much happens.
    that’s strange and I wonder if there’s anything I’m doing wrong?
    thanks again!

• April 27, 2009 at 8:32 pm

zepha,

Make sure you have set a valid download directory. Perhaps you can review the contents of mlnet.log to see what is the exact error

• May 2, 2009 at 10:07 am

Shadowandy,
    How can I check on the download dir whether its valid? I see the files i am attempting to d/l in the ../mldonkey/temp folder. but nothing appears to be happening other than that.
    Looked at the mlnet.log file. nothing interesting other than

2009/04/25 18:02:11 [cO] PID file /mnt/HD_a2/mldonkey/mlnet.pid exists.
    2009/04/25 18:02:11 [cO] Checking whether PID 2175 is still used…

This means another MLDonkey process could still be working
    in this directory. Please shut it down before starting
    a new instance here. If you are sure no other process uses
    this directory delete mlnet.pid and restart the core”
    could this be the reason for it?
    thanks again for your help!
    cheers!

• November 17, 2009 at 6:16 am

Shadowandy,

have you compiled the new 3.0.1 version ?

thank you for your time.

• November 27, 2009 at 12:07 am

J,

Just started compiling it. 🙂

• May 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hi Andy, i’m french
    i installing and run the mlDonkey with “/mnt/HD_a2 # sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start”, but after this, i want to enter “/mnt/HD_a2 # telnet 127.0.0.1 4000” but the response of telnet is “telnet: cannot connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused” could you save me please !!!

• May 18, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Hi Alphazing,

Is mlnet running? issue the command “ps” and paste me the output.

• June 8, 2010 at 5:13 am

i have same problem as alphazing, in my netowrk dns-323 ip adress is 128.172.100.200, im trying to log by: telnet 128.172.100.200 4000 and i recive: “telnet: cannot connect to remote host (128.172.100.200): Connection refused”
    here is my ps output:
    1370 root /sys/custom/upnp/upnp 0 D-Link Corporation http://www.dlink.com
    1386 root /web/webs
    1416 root fancontrol 0
    1422 root op_server 3 3 3
    1439 root -sh
    1459 root crond
    1482 root pure-ftpd (SERVER)
    1504 root atd
    2411 root telnet 127.0.0.1
    2412 root /ffp/bin/sh
    2548 root ps
    plz help me

• June 8, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Hi JaCh0o,

You might want to check out the MLDonkey FAQ point 8.

I noticed your btdog is running. It might have pre-empted MLDonkey from running.

• June 21, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Hi Shadowandy

I have the same problem as Alphazing and Jachoo. I followed the instructions as per the FAQ#8 and removed the Dlink BT software. Rebooted my DNS-323, and did the following. I still got connection refused.
    Appreciate your help, any idea?

/ # sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start
    1389 root fancontrol
    1427 root /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    1431 root /usr/sbin/samba/nmbd -D
    1435 root /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    1437 root op_server 3 3 3
    1444 root -sh
    1467 root pure-ftpd (SERVER)
    1496 root lpd Waiting
    1528 root crond
    1597 root /ffp/sbin/telnetd -l /ffp/bin/sh
    1612 root /ffp/sbin/sshd
    1622 root /ffp/bin/sh
    1627 root /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    1658 root ps

• June 24, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Norm,

Can you look at the mlnet.log and see what is the reason it doesn’t start?

• July 6, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Hi Andy

“/ffp/bin/mlnet: can’t load library ‘libgd.so.2′”

That’s what’s in the mlnet.log

Meantime, I’m actually quite a noob at this and so I have been surfing around and trying various other things, including taking a shot at transmission. Right now, I’m thinking of just cleaning up everything and start again from fresh (ie. removing everything including the funplug). Mind if I seek your advice on how do I go about it?

• July 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention I have troubles with Transmission too and it’s not working as well.

The torrent client that came with the DNS-323 works but not for all torrents and can’t compare in all aspects.

• July 6, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Norm,

Did you install the graphical libraries as highlighted in the guide?

• July 7, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Oh I didn’t. I missed that part. I downloaded them and installed them using the following commands:
    funpkg -i libpng-1.2.29-1.tgz
    funpkg -i gd-2.0.35-1.tgz
    funpkg -i libjpeg-6b-1.tgz
    (I hope I’m correct on the above)

Ran / # sh /ffp/start/mlnet.sh start again and did a ps. Really appreciate your help:

PID USER COMMAND
    1382 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1383 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1384 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1388 root /web/webs
    1391 root ./bt –daemon-loop
    1394 root fancontrol
    1434 root pure-ftpd (SERVER)
    1487 root /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    543 root lpd Waiting
    2738 root /ffp/bin/sh
    10987 root /ffp/bin/sh
    11394 root ps

• July 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Hi Andy

I got mlnet started. Thanks for your advice and help!

• July 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Norm,

Glad you got it working. 🙂

• August 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I’m having trouble getting telnet working again for some reason. I’ve got fun_plug and following the wiki recommendations, I disabled telnet when I was sure ssh was working. Is there a way to do this with ssh instead of telnet? I’m sorry, my knowledge on this stuff is really clunky.

Thanks!

• November 22, 2010 at 6:40 am

Thanks alot! I have it working with almos no problem!! 🙂 I just had to stop a previous bit torrent client

• January 3, 2011 at 1:35 am

If you keep getting the “Connection refused” error during the telnet 127.0.0.1 step:

1) Confirm that you did not disable telnet
    2) Turn-off any other BitTorrent client, and perform the mlnet start command again

Hope this helps

• May 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Hi I am trying to get this working on a DNS-320. When I try and start it, I get the following error:

/ffp/bin/mlnet: can’t load library ‘libz.so.1’

This seems to be different to the errors relating to the gd packages being missing, but I loaded them anyway just in case and is the same. That library is there:

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/mldonkey # find / -name libz.so.1
    /lib/libz.so.1

I created a symbolic link to /mnt/HD/HD_a2, recognising the difference in path from the DNS-323.

Any suggestions?