D-Link DNS-320 – Layman speed test

The D-Link DNS-320 outperforms the D-Link DNS-323 in terms of network throughput  for read/write tests.

As promised, I will conduct a network throughput test for the DNS-320. What I have done is the layman method of testing network throughput – load the hard disks in, monitor the bandwidth usage while transferring files over network. In this test, I will be transferring vmdk files (VMWare disk files).

I will be testing DNS-320’s network throughput when the disks are set to Single, RAID0 and RAID1.

Equipments used

1. DIR-855 for its Gigabit network ports
  2. D-Link DNS-320 (firmware 1.00)
  3. Two units of Samsung 2TB F4 drives
  4. Trusty computer with Gigabit network port

DNS-320’s network throughput when disks are in Standard mode

Upload speed of 217.3Mbps in Standard mode

Download speed of 270.2Mbps in Standard mode

DNS-320’s network throughput when disks are in RAID0 configuration

Upload speed of 213.4Mbps in RAID0 configuration

Download speed of 287.2Mbps in RAID0 configuration

DNS-320’s network throughput when disks are in RAID1 configuration

Upload speed of 204.7Mbps in RAID1 configuration

Download speed of 266.4Mbps in RAID1 configuration

Conclusion of DNS-320 speed test

For an affordable device like the DNS-320, I couldn’t ask for better network throughput. On the average, I could upload files at a speed of approximately 210Mbps to the DNS-320 and download comfortably at 270Mbps.

However, I suspect my trusty computer might be the bottleneck for the download test as the difference in speed for single and RAID0 configuration is too marginal. Usually there will be a stark difference in download speed between standard and RAID0. Probably need a re-run after doing a few more tests.

The DNS-320 clearly outperforms the DNS-323. The DNS-323 manages about 138.38mbps and 154.62mbps for upload and download respectively in the previous test.

Getting a DNS-320?

Check out D-Link Systems ShareCenter 2-Bay USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure DNS-320 Black deals on Amazon.com

26 thoughts on “D-Link DNS-320 – Layman speed test

• November 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Any detail specs of DNS-320 such as ram and processor? funplug coming up soon?

Waiting for your results =)

• November 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm

@wenwei, processor is 800Mhz and RAM is 128MB. As for funplug, existing version work for this NAS with slight modification. Hope this help.

Source: http://wiki.dns323.info/dns-320

• November 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Albert,

Will you be picking up a DNS-320? Seems like a worthy investment.

• November 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Funplug can be supported by edit the fun_plug to rename /mnt/HD_a2 into /mnt/HD/HD_a2

im running fun plug now.

very satisfied

• November 26, 2010 at 7:23 pm

LOL.

Yes Andy, I hoot one today, now need to look for spare HDD. 😉

• November 27, 2010 at 12:58 am

Just got my DNS-320 as well. Maybe i am imagining it – but the network throughput seems slow. Have been tinkering with both my DIR-655 och the DNS-320, without finding any obvious bottlenecks.

What software did you use for your read/write test?

• November 28, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Daniel,

I am using DUmeter to measure the transfer rate.

• November 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Thanks,
    I’ll give it a try 🙂

• December 3, 2010 at 12:12 am

How come the result is so fast, it’s more than 4 times faster than the hdd read speed.

• December 4, 2010 at 11:18 am

Lee,

I am measuring the speed in bits and not bytes. 🙂

• December 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Have D-Link upgraded the Linux kernel in the 320 vs. 323?

• December 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Jamie,

The DNS-320 I have is on Linux version 2.6.22.18.

The DNS-323 is on Linux version 2.6.12.6-arm1

• December 14, 2010 at 7:17 am

Seems odd that D-Link would use a Kernel that’s 3 years old on a new product? We’re up to 2.6.36.2 now!

• December 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

Jamie,

Beats me. But I rather go for stability than be at the forefront of technology.

• December 21, 2010 at 4:23 am

This NAS is sounding good, but will it work with Squeezebox / SqueezeCenter?

• December 31, 2010 at 3:09 am

Is it compatible with Advanced Format 4K sector drives?

• February 19, 2011 at 4:45 am

I have the exact same setup (DNS-320 and two units of Samsung 2TB F4 drives) but the throughput I get using a DIR-655 gigabit router is at a best 50 Mbps.

Did you update the HDDs firmware to fix the known bug (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386)?

Did you do any alignment formatting of the disks due to AFT issues with NAS?

Glad for any feedback, not happy with the performance of my NAS.
    Thanks.

• February 22, 2011 at 8:41 am

Jonas,

The results of the speed test depends on both the source and destination – the computer involved in the test and DNS-320.

Of course, there might be other factors involved like the type of ethernet cable used, length of the network cable, etc.

I recently updated the firmware and did the alignment from start. Honestly speaking, I didn’t see much difference between not updating and updating firmware.

Perhaps you can share a bit on your setup?

• March 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’ve updated the FW and I’ll try to align the disks and make some more testing.

You’re providing great information.

cheers,
    Jonas

• May 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Any idea if upgrading from DNS-321 will be straight-forward? Can we just move the disks from 321 to 320?

• May 9, 2011 at 4:51 am

With 2.0 firmware, it will align the disks.
    Tested with WD Green 15EARS

• May 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm

HI,
    are those results from DU meter are the network speeds not the I/O write speeds right? So, does that mean when you have a download/upload speed of around 1 MB/S you are only downloading around 10KB/s actual I/O speed. So you result of 200 MB/s mean around 2 MB/S of actual file right? That’s what i am getting when I am trying to copy files about 8mins for 1GB file. Or Am I completely wrong here?

• May 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

AK,

My speed are the transfer speed between the computer and test subject, DNS-320.

The speeds are in bits per second, so if I clocked 287.2Mbps in the download test, it is translated to 35.9 megabytes per second (287.2 / 8). This is not equivalent to disk I/O speed as the test did not highlight whether this is due to network interface hardware limitation or disk interface hardware limitation.

It is simply a test of the amount of data that has been pushed out onto the network interface.

• December 29, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I’m using Teracopy and averaging a 4MBps transfer rate from PC (Wireless, 150 Mbps) to NAS (Wired, 1Gbps). Theoretically, I should be reaching speeds of up to 18 MBps (limited by the PC’s single band N WIFI). Any idea how I could resolve this?