4K Advanced Format Hard Disks – Align or not to align for my NAS?

I guess you have heard about Advanced Format hard disks – large capacities hard disks that utilizes 4KB data sectors instead of 512B sectors. Advanced Format uses storage surface area more efficiently, allowing manufacturers to roll out higher density disk platters. This is because 4KB (4096B) with ECC block takes far less real estate on the disk platter than eight 512B with ECC blocks.

How does it impact my NAS?

However, NAS (Network Attached Storage) nowadays are designed with 512B data sectors in mind. What impact does it have?

For read operations, the emulation layer reads the entire 4096B block and reformat it into chunks of512B before sending to the NAS. This probably means no impact to the performance as advanced format disks usually come with larger cache.

For write operations, the NAS issues 512B data writes to the advanced format disk, the hard disk waits for eight chunks of 512B data (to form one 4KB data) before writing it to the disk. If the 4KB data does not align with the 4KB boundary on the disk surface, the NAS may suffer a performance impact as it requires additional spin of the disk platter compared to a aligned disk which completes the write in the first spin.

So if the NAS doesn’t align the partitions with the 4KB boundary, potentially the NAS suffers penalty during write operations.

How do I know my NAS is affected?

If you are able to look at the partition information on the hard disk. Take note of the starting block of each partition. If the number is not a multiple of 4, it means that it is not aligned. Below I have a 2TB disk (in my D-Link DNS-320) that is not aligned to the 4KB boundary. The starting blocks are 63, 2088450 and 1060290 for partitions sda1, sda2 and sda4 respectively. These numbers are not multiples of 4.

/ # fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x1b8afecc

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1              63     1060289      530113+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2         2088450  3904983809  1951447680   83  Linux
/dev/sda4         1060290     2088449      514080   83  Linux

If you are concerned about your new storage investment, align the disks/data partitions. I can’t guarantee that there will be significant write improvements but experiments by geeks have shown improvements! Some is better than nothing!

Want to align your disks (in your NAS)?

I will be writing a simple set of guide to re-align the standard (non-RAID) disks for fonz’s fun_plug enabled NAS (e.g. D-Link DNS-323, DNS-320, etc). Look out for it. 🙂

Getting a DNS-320 or Samsung F4 2TB HDD?

Check out D-Link Systems ShareCenter 2-Bay USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure DNS-320 Black and Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB Hard Drive HD204UI/Z4 deals on Amazon.com

56 thoughts on “4K Advanced Format Hard Disks – Align or not to align for my NAS?

• December 5, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Nice read up Andy.

Did you align or leave it as it is?

• December 5, 2010 at 1:41 pm

typo i meant write up =p

• December 5, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Richard,

I aligned the partitions. Trying to put together a guide for DNS-320/DNS-323.

• December 9, 2010 at 7:25 am

Be careful with WD Green disks. (it’s an only hdd on the market with hardware 4k sector as far as I know)
    They have a super “green” feature in firmware, they are stopping spindle after 8sec of idle. From some point of view it’s good and cool damn “green”, but from another… HDD dies in 1-1.5 year 🙂
    It’s possible to disable this with special and secret WD utility.

• December 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Hi, I’m really keen to see your guide on the DNS-320 alignment, having just bought a 320 and 2 units of 2TB disks, the Samsung 2TB SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA3 32MB Hard Drive.

Looking forward to reading it!

• December 10, 2010 at 4:32 am

“Hi, I’m really keen to see your guide on the DNS-320 alignment”

So am I. Stupid CircuitCity… I specifically bought the older F3 Spinpoints (as listed on their site and confirmed by invoice) but received the newer F4 with AFT. I’m finding the same issue elsewhere, even when listed it is getting hard to actually get shipped the older models. I am debating on returning or not… depends on what I can find to get this working RAID1 in my NAS.

• December 11, 2010 at 6:32 am

I am about to buy two Samsung 2TB SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA3 32MB Hard Drive and a DLINK DNS-320.

• December 14, 2010 at 7:18 am

“Reading this blog, what is the problem really? A theoretical thing, or something that is atually really bad in practice?”

It’s real Magnus, especially if you want to RAID1 (mirror) your drives Even with alignment tools, etc. you’re going to be on the cutting edge with 4K sectors and AFT. All these tools and jumper options are essentially “work-arounds”… that might work or might not in the long term. Without alignment, you’ll get really poor performance. Even with alignment, RAID1 is not guaranteed to work properly. Oh, it will probably RAID OK, but then the disk will drop out of the array for no reason in a couple months or fail to rebuild properly when it fails for real.

I can’t blame AFT itself (time marches on), although I think vendors (Western Digital in particular) went about this all wrong. There is no technical reason to use 4K sectors and AFT for drives UNDER 2.1 TB. So they should have simply started with their 3 TB drives (talking internal desktop drives here). What happened is they have some 2TB drives without AFT and some with, causing confusion to the consumer (ok, the technical consumer).

I wanted Samsung F3 drives, bought F3 drives but was sent F4 drives because to the store they are the same drive… (I did send them back, by the way… like flushing $25 in shipping costs down the drain).

For what is is worth, it seems Hitachi Deskstars are ALL still non-AFT drives at 2 TB or less. Only their 3 TB drive uses AFT. I don’t know if this will stay that way, but I hope so. I just bought 2x2TB Hitachi drives and granted they are 7200 RPM drives, but they RAID1 just fine in my DNS-321 and the RAID1 rebuilds correctly (tested).

• December 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I think I’ll go with a DNS-320 and 2xF4 disks after all. I’ll skip RAID and run rsync instead like here http://www.horto.ca/?p=20

As far as I understand from reading many blogs and forums about this issue now, it will work just find if I align the drives and skip raid. Performance will be just fine then. Right?

• December 15, 2010 at 4:53 am

Yes, from what I understand it should work if aligned properly and you don’t want to RAID. Most of your performance (or lack of) will come from the NAS itself anyway. From reading, it seems the problem of performance on the drive itself comes later as the drive begins to fill up. If that is true, you will have a tough time testing it but it does seem to be possible.

As someone else mentioned, the F4 had a firmware issue that, although supposedly fixed by Samsung, looked a little sketchy to me. If you haven’t ordered yet, you may want to skip Samsung. I wasn’t very impressed with their support pages and only ordered (what I thought was) F3 drives because, well… they were supposed to be F3!

To be honest, if you are going to take a chance with the AFT drives, I would consider the Western Digital EARS. Although I still think they should have done something different with AFT, I also think SO many people have (or will have) EARS drives eventually that the first tweaks to AFT will come from WD. Plus they do have an outstanding support site. You’re more likely to get active ongoing support (firmware, special utilities, etc.) from WD quicker than other vendors (my opinion).

Whatever you do, make sure you ALWAYS have a backup to restore!

• December 16, 2010 at 3:00 am

Ok, 2xEARS and a DNS-320 ordered! 🙂

• December 21, 2010 at 5:54 am

Been looking around for more information on this and can’t really find any.

If the partitions are aligned then I see no reason for any RAID configurations to work or not work, bit I more than happy to be corrected if anyone else knows better?

If I can find out how to align the partitions on the DNS-320 with the samsung F4’s I’ll post it here.

If anyone else knows please post it too, I’m not sure how much longer I can wait before I power my 320 up and use it anyway 😉

• December 21, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I have my DNS-320 running now. 2 x WD20EARS 64MB 2TB aligned in standard mode. fun_plug is installed and running from a 8GB usb memory stick.

I got 7.5MB/s when I copied 110GB photos to it through my WRT54GL using wire. I guess performance would be better if I got a new router or connected through a gigabit switch.

Both disks are setup like this, all partitions start on a multiple of 8 sectors and partition sizes are multiples of 8 sectors.

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xfee4d55a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2048 1058815 528384 82 Linux swap / Solaris.
    /dev/sda2 2088960 3907029167 1952470104 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 1058816 2088959 515072 83 Linux

Below is a reference of all sites I used to get it working. The only thing I had to tweak a bit was the script to have fun_plug running on the DNS-320 from usb. usb-storage.ko was included in /usr/local/modules/driver/(but for some reason deactivated by default in /usr/sbin/unload_usb_storage_driver.sh), and usb mountpoints were in /mnt/USB.

• December 21, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Hm, I posted a new reply here with info about how I installed my DNS-320, but it does not show up? Tried to post once again, but then it said “duplicate post”?

• December 22, 2010 at 12:20 am

Hi Magnus,

Please try again with your post, I’m looking forward to reading it!

• December 23, 2010 at 1:59 am

I wasn’t that successful after all. It seems as if the DNS-320 does a ‘chmod -R 777 *’ on all usb devices formatted with ext2/3. That means fun_plug breaks, as it relies on the executable bit to start applications. I didn’t notice this at first, since it worked until the next reboot. So now I’m back with running off hd instead of usb. I need to figure out why this behaviour is there.

• December 31, 2010 at 3:38 am

I have tried several different way to align the partitions on the Samsung 2TB F4EG with the DNS-320. I think I have probably spent about 30 hours on this overall, if not more!

Here is what I have tried,
    1, Connect new pair of F4EG’s to the 320, let it format them to make a Mirror RAID that uses the whole 2TB.

Then take the hard drives out and connect them to a Linux box, then try with FDISK and PARTED to move the partitions to align them.

This failed as the 320 seems to create a partition table that is a little screwed up, it says it has 3 partitions, (SWAP, EXT2 and then a hugh EXT3 for your data). But actually there are 4 partitions, 1 of which appears to be invalid.
    Any way this parition table is locked, I could recreate it aligned, but not move the ones that are there already.

So at the moment I have the 2 HDD in the 320 and am waiting for the wiki to come online or for Shadow Andy to find time to put his example together. Then I’ll try again.

I didn’t want to install fun plug incase is messed up my 320, but I’ll have to I think as there is no telnet with out it I think.

Magnus, if you have any instructions on how you actually modified the partitions I’d be interested? Or did you just create a new one?

(I’m trying to use RAID)

Anyone with any other input, please feel free to let us know!

• December 31, 2010 at 3:49 am

Using Fun_plug and Andy’s helpful code/instructions, I can Telnet into the 320, now just need to find out how to modify the partition table.

Will post back here if I get anywhere.

• December 31, 2010 at 4:00 am

It doesn’t appear that ‘Parted’ can be used with the DNS-320, it is not included in the build, not that it matters.

Anyway for my Samsung 2TB F4EG drives I get the below when running ‘fdisk -l’.

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 66 530113+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/sda2 131 242919 1950202642+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 67 130 514080 83 Linux

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 66 530113+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/sdb2 131 242919 950202642+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb4 67 130 514080 83 Linux

Not aligned as expected.
    Trouble is where to go from here?
    Any ideas Magnus? How did you do yours?

• January 3, 2011 at 6:18 am

I formatted standalone disks with dns-320, installed fun_plug, created new partitions on one disk, swapped disks, installed fun_plug on the aligned disk, and then created new partitions on the other disk.

But I’m not using RAID. I use fun_plug and rsync to copy important stuff from disk a to disk b every night.

• January 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Dave, Magnus,

For RAID, it should be more complex due to the magic number for mdadm.

I, too, didn’t use RAID and went for the easy way of fun-plug -> align the other disk method.

For mine, first sector started from 64. What’s your Magnus?

• January 4, 2011 at 12:40 am

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like you have found a way to get the best of both worlds, performance and double backup. Shame you can’t get there without additional software.

I think you have the right idea about RAID, it is only going to work if the partitions are created and setup correctly. I was hoping I could ‘move them’ but it isn’t turning out so easy! They are just not the same as ‘normal’ partitions you can just move with something like parted. The technical reasons are over my head.

I’m coming to the conclusion that the only way to use RAID on the DNS 320 is to use it with the partitions not aligned and suffer the performance hit, shame as I bought the DNS-320 for the performance over my older NAS!

I’ll look into doing what you guys have done if I can work it out.

If I make any other progress I’ll get back to you.

• January 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Just a thought…

Would it be possible to setup the Raid-1 on the DNS-320, then take the HDDs separately to a Linux machine to ‘part’ or ‘fdisk’ to the 4K alignment, finally put back?

• January 6, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hi Wins,

No thats basically what I tried to do, but parted and fdisk can’t move the RAID partitions as they are not standard partitions for some reason.

Each disk had 3 partitions, but the partition table had 4 entries, one of which was invalid. Not that you can update the partition table anyway as it was locked somehow. (Hence the reason parted failed).

• January 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I got two Samsung 2TB SpinPoint EcoGreen before being aware of the 4K issues described here.

Will the same problems with realigning occur with RAID 0? Is JBOD then the only alternative to get a single volume?

Feel a bit disapponted over this mess. Have D-Link been made aware of the issues? Maybe there is a possibility for a RAID-fix, to get the partitions aligned from start when formatting.

• January 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hi Daniel,

D-Link may produce a fix, it’s more of a linux issue than a D-link issue, but they could still do something.

As I understand it, you can use JBOD and follow the steps that ShadowAndy and Magnus have completed.

This would give you two seperate volumes that could be aligned properly.

If you use RAID in any configuration you can’t use the steps to re-align, therefore you are stuck.

I have now pretty much given up trying to work around this, I am now jsut using the DNS-320 with 2x 2TB hdd, knowing that they are not aligned and knowing that there is a performance hit.

So far I have not found any failures and I don’t expect any loss of data, it is only a performance issue.

Should a fix be provided by Dlink then the HDD’s would have to be re-formatted.

I have already contacted Dlink about it, but I’m just one guy. The more people do it the more interested they will become. Please contact them direclty yourself and ask!

See http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid=1197388178398&p=1197318962293&packedargs=QuickLinksParentID%3D1197318962293%26locale%3D1195806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper for further details, if and when there ever are any!

• January 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I ask for support 4k sector last week, and the answer is no planned support.

Sorry to inform you that at the moment, we dont have a plan to support Advance Format HDD.

• March 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I have a DNS-320. After aligning the swap space (with start=64), my NAS “forgets” to mount/swapon the swap space after a reboot. Any ideas why or how to fix it (except adding a swapon command in the fun_plu script).

Sven

• March 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

Sven,

I think I encountered it before. I removed the disks and add them back to the enclosure one by one. Rebooting the DNS-320 in between the adding. It seems to remember both the disks now.

• March 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Would love to see the guide for this – just ordered dns-320 and 2x 2TB Samsung F4’s.

Been reading about 4k alignment and would like to get it right before i put my data on there.

Have been reading this:- http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14484.15
    but i am unsure where all the start and end blocks come from etc.

Some align partitions 1 and 2 but not 4. Others say that you must make sure the end is aligned also.

Why do some start at 2048 but others suggest 64 ??

• March 23, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I have checked with Dlink technical support as my RAID1 fails after a reboot or two every time, I’m using AFT drives, 2x 2TB Samsung F4’s.

DLink technical support said, and I queried to make sure, the next firmware V2, will support AFT drives and will be available in the near future, but there was no fixed date for release.

I have tried the beta myself (V6) and noticed no improvements in terms of AFT drive support at this time.

At the moment I’m hanging on to my NAS and drives before returning them as I’m hoping this firmware will solve the problem, I think however I’m living in hope!

• March 24, 2011 at 7:12 am

Dave,

I am not sure if the V2 that you are referring to is the same as the one I found in D-Link Singapore @ http://www.dlink.com.sg/support/support_detail.asp?idproduct=477 .

Went to a local IT fair recently and D-Link staffs told me it supports AFT. You can try it out.

If I am not wrong, you are suppose to flash this V2 firmware and use it to format your disks to align them. Otherwise, your disks are still not aligned and new firmware will have the same issue of managing the F4s.

Hope it helps.

• March 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for the information, I think any new firmware will require a reformat of the disks for sure.

I think the version I tried, (which doesn’t support AFT yet) was here,
    ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dns/DNS-320/firmware/

It is the BetaV6 one. It’s build date is the 2nd of Feb, the firmware you have supplied the link to is dated the end of February, so it might well be the final version.

I suspect they are releasing it slowly to find/fix any bugs that come up in the field.

I was going to try it, bit I got a bit scared where it says,
    ‘Do NOT upgrade your device with these firmware if you have purchased a D-Link product out of South East Asia.’

I’ll wait a few more days and see what comes out for Europe and let you know what I find.

It can’t be more than a few weeks away now.

• March 25, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Basically v2.00b6 is the same as v2.00 released in SEA, you can do a hash check to confirm.

• March 26, 2011 at 5:31 am

Hi Albert, if that is the case then that software doesn’t support AFT drives, yet?

I still want to wait for the European release of V2 to be sure it does or doesn’t support the 4k drives.

• April 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm

The new V2 firmware is officially out in Europe, at first glance it looks like the betaV6 we tried recently, (As Albert suggested the renamed beta) there is nothing in the release notes about support for AFT or 4k sector drives. In fact the release notes are for a different version of the firmware all together.

I’ll install it tonight and post back what if anything I find, but doesn’t look like there is any support for AFT drives at this stage.

• April 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hello guys, I`m experience the same problems as you with 4k sector hdd and dns-320 dlink box.Surfing the web I found this link:
    Is the hdd compatibility for the dns-320. That list clearly includes some of the 4k sector hdd that are in the market right now but, my dns-320 does not support them… what should I do? wait to an firmware upgrade? change the hdd?….
    I hope we`ll find the solution pretty soon.
    regards

• April 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Support of AFT drive doesn’t meant the firmware will support partition alignment. FYI, Samsung F4 drive which is AFT drive worked on firmware v1.00 even though it’s not stated in the HD compatibility list.

• April 8, 2011 at 4:18 am

Yes F4 is special case anyway as it support 512-emulation for backwards compability. However unaligned performance will suffer. What i count for “full” 4k support is getting partitions aligned on format.

• April 9, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I like to re-confirm that v2.00 does indeed support AFT drive including partition alignment.

# fdisk -lu /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 64 1060287 530112 82 Linux swap
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
    /dev/sdb2 2084368 3904967743 1951441688 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb4 1060288 2084367 512040 83 Linux
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary

Partition table entries are not in disk order

• April 11, 2011 at 12:14 am

Hello Albert, could you tell us which hard drive do you have?,
    thanks

• April 11, 2011 at 1:37 am

Pablo, my drive is Samsung F4EG (Model: HD204UI).

• April 13, 2011 at 2:04 am

Just checking back in, at the moment no problems thus far with my JBOD and my RAID1.

Will still keep checking, but at the moment looks good.

am using 2x 2TB Samsung F4′s.

• April 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Sadly the time has come for me to report, as before, JBOD failure and RAID 1 Degraded.

The NAS worked OK for about a week then on startup yesterday it failed.

All JBOD data is lost but half of the RAID still works.

The NAS now thinks it has only one hard drive in, it’s like it’s lost communication with one of them. (I have tested them, tried switching their position and the error is random, could be either drive, either slot and the drives both pass the Samsung full utility checks).

It seems this firmware has the same problem as V1, for me at least.

Will post back as and when I have more information.

• April 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Just out of interest has anyone tried the ST2000DL003 Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green SATA-600 64MB 5900RPM 3.5″ drives with this NAS?

I might try a different pair of drives before I give up completely.

• April 17, 2011 at 10:20 am

i have two of the ST2000DL003 Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green SATA-600 64MB 5900RPM 3.5 drives, for my readynas duo, i got them because they can auto align the 4k sector, but its recommended to do a factory reset just in case, probably true for most nas servers,, always check the hardware compatability list for your nas, and backup your data!
    these new st2000dl003 drives are really fast read/write.. highly recommended

• April 19, 2011 at 5:12 am

I have pair of ST2000DL003 and brand new dns-320 on order, waiting to get them delivered.

I will post experiences when i get them.

• April 30, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I bought DNS-320 few months back and upgraded the FW to 2.0 as given here:

Installed 2 x WD20EARS

The firmware has taken the 4k boundary in to consideration. Notice the warning “Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary”.

——————————————-
    Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 64 1060287 530112 82 Linux swap
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
    /dev/sda2 2084368 3902477663 1950196648 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 1060288 2084367 512040 83 Linux
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    ——————————————-

• June 8, 2011 at 2:04 am

I have given up with the Samsung F4’s and now have a pair of ST2000DL003 and I have to say everything is working sweetly, faster, no crashes and just what I wanted from the NAS.

Been stable and working for about two weeks with these drives.

• June 8, 2011 at 9:53 am

Dave,

Great to hear that. The Samsung F4 are a bit slow. Have you used smartmontools to check the S.M.A.R.T status of your old F4s? I have high counts of raw read errors. Have sent one of them back to the RMA centre. 🙁

• June 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Hi ShadowAndy,

The Samsung F4’s passed every test I threw at them, including the S.M.A.R.T. test, (which took ages to complete).

I never found any errors or problems with mine (I did upgrade the firmware though) they just went wrong when in the 320 after a week or two. Volumes got lost and RAIDs degraded.

I returned them both and got a full refund from my supplier.

I’m very happy with the ST2000DL003’s!

• June 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that you had a full refund. I think my RMA-ed drive went pass my door earlier today cos nobody was at home to receive the package. Gotta drop by the postal office tomorrow to collect.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t receive a lemon. I meant a lemon Samsung F4.

• October 5, 2011 at 4:16 am

@Dave: How are your ST2000DL003 drives working out in RAID 1 mode? I’m asking because I want to put a pair into my DNS-323. I know it’s not the same as a DNS-320, but my concern was some people are saying “Green” drives won’t stand up to the pummelling of RAID 1. TIA for any info.

DH