Have you got the Apple TV2 yet?

Good things come in small packages

Finally got the Apple TV2 (ATV2) after much deliberation. Always wanted to watch online videos on the big screen as the A.C.Ryan PlayOn!HD lack the online video playing feature.

What is the Apple TV?

The Apple TV is a media player  that is well integrated with iOS devices. You can use AirPlay to stream from your iOS devices over the wireless N. You can also play HD movies, rent TV shows (Netflix), watch YouTube and even stream iTunes music and photos from your computer.

What comes with the Apple TV package?

The package contents!

The small package comes packed with the Apple TV, cool petite remote, US power connector (110V-230V) and user manual.

Connectors at the back of the Apple TV

You probably need to pick up a HDMI cable to connect the Apple TV to your TV and Toslink Digital Audio Optical Cable for audio link between the Apple TV and sound system .

And what is XBMC?

Not sure if you heard of XBMC (formally Xbox Media Center). It is a free and open-source cross platform media player and home entertainment system software. It was originally created for the XBox platform to play videos and music. Over the years, developers (all around the World) have packed in more features (more video formats support, skinning, audio visualization, etc). XBMC now support third party plugins through their addon architecture. Watching Chinese online video streams like Tudou, Youku on top of the usual YouTube is also supported.

Why am I talking about XBMC?!

Well, XBMC runs on the Apple TV! Yes, you enjoy all the features of XBMC on the Apple TV! But, you have to jailbreak your Apple TV before you can install XBMC. Psss, jailbreaking the Apple TV is a straight forward task with tools like SeasonPass.

So how did I find the Apple TV2?

Now the Apple TV plays my media files from my DNS-320 (NAS), iTunes, online videos like YouTube, Tudou, Youku, etc. It is practically a all-in-one device for my multimedia needs. The only complain I have is that it does not come with a USB port for me to play media off USB storage medias.

16 thoughts on “Have you got the Apple TV2 yet?

• June 29, 2011 at 12:40 am

Yes, it XBMC, and the AirPlay (iOS5) possibilities, AppleTV2 is a must buy!

I am waiting for the next months, August, September, when normally the Apple announce the new iPods, iPhone and maybe, maybe the new AppleTV it 1080p output suport!!!

• June 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Lester,

A colleague of mine was shipping in from Amazon so got it with him too! 😀

• July 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hi there,

I’m having issues playing Tudou & Youku via XBMC on the ATV2.
    It seems to crash back to main menu after loading any movie.

• July 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Gary,

How did you install the XBMC? You might want to install the latest XBMC nightly build and see if it solves your crashing problem.

SSH to your ATV2 and type the following four commands

1. cd /private/var/tmp
    2. apt-get install wget
    3. wget http://hadm.net/xbmc/latest_atv2.deb
    4. dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
    5. rm latest_atv2.deb

• July 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Gary,

If you are using FireCore media player, you need to uninstall it. FireCore media player will cause XBMC to crash on the Apple TV2 (ATV2).

• July 2, 2011 at 9:32 pm

1. I jailbreak using Season Pass, installed XBMC using Cyberduck SSH. and loaded in my repos likewise. With SeasonPass JB, does it mean i’m using the built-in Firecore media player?

2. Will go try upgrading it to nightly build later.

• July 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Gary,

Then it seems like you are not using the FireCore’s media player. Try upgrading to the nightly build. I just wrote a post on that. 🙂

• July 3, 2011 at 12:35 am

Well, big thanks for the nightly build. Can now run my Tudou successfully. Cept its prob my crappy Starhub connection thats causing the playback lag.

Thanks again.

• July 4, 2011 at 4:36 am

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your brief but very rich description. I’m also considering apple tv as my media player, it looks promissing!!!

How about high quality videos, can it handle them with no problem? I usually have full bluray files or iso BR formats… Will it struggle or will it play them just fine?

Second question, how do you play DVDs? I also own a mac mini, will it be able to play DVDs wirelessly if I share my DVD unit wirelessly? I know that for instance I could spare te external DVD unit in my upcoming MacBook air purchase by using this cool feature.

Las question: how about Internet browsing? Any chance I could have a safari browser on my tv somehow? If so, what do you use as a keyboard?

Thanks A million 😉

• July 20, 2011 at 12:40 am

Are you able to get it to pull in movie information for ripped ISOs? I have ripped a few dvds to ISO files, and while Boxee picks up the information without issue, XBMC on ATV2 does not. It also will not display high res photos. JP

• September 5, 2011 at 4:46 am

When you connected your xbmc atv2 to your 320, did you have any issues adding content to your library? I have the same setup and for some reason it doesn’t add anything through SMB.

Any help on your setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• September 5, 2011 at 9:34 am

Hi Mike,

On my DNS-320, I made a SMB share that can be read by everyone. Added that network share into XBMC and the video play fine. Didn’t do any other configurations though.

• October 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

i just gotten my DNS-320 yesterday and i tried to play an avi movie with my apple tv2(with fire core), but it seems like jerky compared to streaming it with my WD MyBook via rt-n56u usb. the latter is much smoother. do you experience any problem? and also i get prompted saying that http://t.co/5vIKXmc