Flashing your router with TomatoUSB
What are the required files?
You will need to have the following:
- ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility
- TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware
Getting the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility
- Open another browser window/tab and navigate to http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en
- Search for support for RT-N66U
- Select the “download” link
- Specify the OS you are using
- Download the latest Utility for RT-N66U
- Install the package
Getting the TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware for RT-N66U
- Open another browser window/tab and navigate to http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/
- Look for the latest build for “RT-N66U”.
- Download the firmware (.trx) file. If you do not know which to download, just download the one with “mega” or “BT” in the filename
Great! By now, you should have the ASUS Utility installed and the latest TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware downloaded. Lets proceed to the next section.
How do I flash the TomatoUSB firmware onto the RT-N66U?
The steps are simple, you will need to:
- Start the firmware restoration process (using firmware restoration utility in the ASUS Utility package) so that it is searching for router
- Put the ASUS RT-N66U into firmware restoration mode and quickly start the firmware restoration process
Before you proceed, pull out the power cable to your RT-N66U and have a pen ready to press the reset button (between the USB ports and WAN port)
Preparing for firmware restoration to TomatoUSB (Shibby)
- Launch the firmware restoration utility (this is one of the tools in the Utility you installed earlier)
- In the firmware restoration utility, browse for the TomatoUSB firmware you have downloaded earlier
- Start the firmware flashing and a prompt should appear stating that it is an incompatible firmware. Proceed to the next step.
Putting the RT-N66U into emergency firmware restore mode
- Press and hold on to the reset button
- While holding down the reset button, plug in the power cable so that the RT-N66U turns on.
Note: Keep holding the reset button until the power led starts to flash (on and off). When power led starts flashing, release the reset button and proceed.
- On the firmware restoration utility, agree to the prompt saying that it is a incompatible firmware.
The utility should be scanning for device. Quickly proceed to the next step
- Wait until the flashing is complete
- Power cycle the router when it is complete