Finishing it up
Finally, clearing the NVRAM before you use TomatoUSB
It is always a good practice to clear out the previous settings (in NVRAM) whenever you flash to different firmwares. In this case, it is required to flush out the NVRAM.
You can either flush the NVRAM either through key presses or through web admin.
Clearing NVRAM via key presses
- Power off the RT-N66U
- Press and hold down the WPS button
- While holding the WPS button, plug in the power cable to turn RT-N66U on
- Keep holding the WPS button for 30 seconds before releasing
The router should reboot
- Congratulations. The NVRAM has been cleared.
Clearing NVRAM via web admin
The TomatoUSB administration web should be at http://192.168.1.1 . If it is not, do a “ipconfig” or “ifconfig” and navigate to the gateway address with your web browser. If you are not able to get an IP address from DHCP, you might want to set your computer’s IP address to 192.168.1.2 (255.255.255.0).
When prompted for a login, the default is:
- User: root
- Pass: admin
Once you are in, follow the next step to clear out the previous settings
- Navigate to Administration -> Configuration
- Under Restore Default Configuration, select “Erase all data in NVRAM memory (thorough)
- Click “OK”
- Wait for the router to be ready
Your RT-N66U is now running TomatoUSB (Shibby). Have fun exploring and configuring the RT-N66U. Do update me if there are anything wrong with this guide so that I can fix it. Thanks!