Rooting Huawei U8860 Honor ICS ROM B935

Just upgraded my Huawei U8860 Honor Non-camera phone to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (ICS) yesterday. Everything seems fine. No battery issues or whatever so except that I no longer can remove advertisements in applications, reduce CPU speed to conserve battery life or perform full backup through applications like AdFree Android, SetCPU and Titanium Backup respectively. All of these applications requires you to have root access to the ROM.

The good thing is, it appears (to me that )the mempodroid offset for Huawei U8860 Honor ICS (B923) works for the Build 935 (B935) for Huawei U8860 Honor (Singapore) ICS firmware! Hence, I decided to give it a try and it works! My Huawei Honor Non-camera phone now has a rooted ICS ROM (Singapore official) + locked bootloader.

Want to root your phone? It is quite straight forward with the scripts made by tri_zet (xda-developers – rooting ICS ROM B923) for Huawei ICS ROM B923.

Required Files

Setting your phone to the right mode (non-ADB)

1. On your Huawei Honor, navigate to Home –> Settings
    The Settings program should launch
  2. In Settings, navigate to “{ } Developer Options”
  3. In “Developer Options”, ensure that “USB debugging” is unchecked

Installing ADB drivers

1. Connect the Huawei U8860 Honor to your computer via the microUSB cable
    The Huawei Honor phone should get recognised and a drive should appear
  2.  Install the ADB drivers from the newly recognised drive
  3. Wait for the ADB installation to complete
  4. Detach (safely remove) the Huawei U8860 Honor from your computer

Enabling ADB on your Huawei U8860 Honor

1. On your Huawei Honor, navigate to Home –> Settings
    The Settings program should launch
  2. In Settings, navigate to “{ } Developer Options”
  3. In “Developer Options”, ensure that “USB debugging” is checked
  4. Attach the Huawei U8860 Honor to your computer’s USB port
    It should recognise new ADB interfaces and drivers should install. Wait for the drivers for the ADB interfaces to be installed completely before proceeding to the next section

Extracting the Huawei Honor Root Tools

1. Ensure that you have downloaded the Huawei Honor Root Tools
  2. Extract the archive (zip) to your computer disk drive (e.g. C:\huawei_honor\)
    A new folder “HuaweiHonor-root-tools” should appear in C:\huawei_honor

Rooting the Huawei U8860 Honor ICS

1. Navigate to the HuaweiHonor-root-tools directory
  2. Execute the file “root-me.cmd”A command prompt window should appear
  3. Follow the instructions in the command prompt
  4. On your Huawei U8860 Honor, you should see a new application call “Superuser”Note: You can also install Root Checker to verify whether your ICS has been rooted
  5. Congratulations. You have rooted your Huawei U8860 Honor ICS

Calibrating the Huawei U8860 Honor battery

It is always a good practice to recalibrate the battery when you have flashed a new ROM. This is required if you feel that your battery is draining faster than usual.

To recalibrate the battery, you will need to have a rooted ROM (in this case, you have) and the battery recalibration software – Battery Calibration.

A final note

Have fun with your rooted Huawei U8860 Honor ICS. Do check out the useful applications:

29 thoughts on “Rooting Huawei U8860 Honor ICS ROM B935

• October 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

hi shadowandy,

may i know what is the difference between b935 and b930? camera for b935 not working?

thanks.

• October 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

wesley,

Both B930 and B935 are the build releases for Huawei U8860 Honor released in Singapore. Singapore has got a non-camera variant of the Huawei Honor and B935 specifically stripped out the software camera features.

• October 21, 2012 at 5:10 pm

hi shadowandy,

thanks alot for the info!;)

• October 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Shadowandy, have you try custom ICS rom on your huawei honor non camera phone? Miui rom??

• October 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm

so now we have root access. how about un-rooting?

• October 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Hi Shadowandy, rooting non cam Honor B935 is easy. However to custom ROM is a no go. Any work around this? Thanks!

• October 31, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Jo,

To unroot, you will need to reflash the ROM. And that will wipe the device. Therefore do the necessary backup first.

• October 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Lance,

Nope I did not try as it requires an unlocked bootloader which Huawei have patched up since B923.

Is the MIUI interesting on the Huawei?

• October 31, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Andrew,

You will need a unlocked bootloader to explore custom ROM.

You can try downgrading to B919 first.

Flash in the recovery (e.g. Cwm).

Then install the miui ROM through the recovery.

• October 31, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Hi Shadowandy, how to do unlocking of bootloader?

I have tried installing B919, however it fails upon going thru Normal Upgrade via Storage/Settings/Software Upgrade & also the Force Upgrade via Vol+- & Power Button.

• November 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi Andrew,

i have to same issue as you. the upgrade always fails.

• November 4, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Just my tip – do not use MIUI ICS ROM. It is too unstable and laggy on our little RAM phone. I am using doc3000’s GB MIUI ROM. It is much better. Use that if you want to try out MIUI.

My question here is whether the ICS Singapore ROM stable, fast and smooth?

• November 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I manged to unlock!!! Gotta use Russia ROM to unlock, pretty small in file size, got advice from xda developer site I think, can’t recall exact URL.

Afterwhich I tried a no of stable ROM from MIUI, it sucks big time. As for doc300 version, i tried i think it doesn’t support carrier.

As previously I used S’pore ROM, they are stable, not fast nor smooth, pretty sluggish. That’s the reason i look for other custom ROM to make my baby run reasonably.

Feel free to share…

• November 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi Andrew,

could you share how you did it? i keep getting stuck at “Update failed”.

• November 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

Andrew,

Wow. Interesting! I guess the Russian patch file replaces the bootloader only? And it is possible to continue to use the Huawei Singapore ICS on unlocked bootloader?

• November 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi Jo,

I’m not sure whether you can still continue to use the S’pore ICS after applying that B929rus patch.

What I did was immediately after the patch, I apply B919 ROM as it was known to be able to use custom ROM after that which I forgotten to highlight earlier.

huaweihonor[dot]blogspot[dot]sg

Now I am enjoying all sorts of custom ROM based on the above URL. Do note that some custom ROM do not support carrier, gotta play around to find out.

• November 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I’m not sure why or what did i do wrong, but i’m still getting “Update Failed”

• November 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm

You must apply the B929rus ROM (which I believe it “unlock” your phone) 1st follow by B919 ROM (to unlock in order for custom recovery), do not reverse the sequence. Finally install Recovery (Clockworkmod).

Let me run a comprehensive guide here to avoid missing steps.

Normal method:
    (1) Make folder “dload” on SD CARD
    (2) Download dload B929rus.rar rom and put UPDATE file to “dload” folder on SD CARD (dload B929rus.rar => http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1552038&page=179
    (3) Go to “SETTINGS->STORAGE->SOFTWARE THEN UPGRADE->SD CARD UPGRADE->CONFIRM->UPGRADE”
    (4) Restart phone

Force method:
    (1) Follow above step 1-2.
    (2) Power down your phone
    (3) hold VOLUME-UP, VOLUME-DOWN and POWER-BUTTON at the same time you will see the Firmware Update mode.
    (4) When the progress bar stop, the phone will restart.

Go on to next step to apply B919 ROM after u have done the above B929rus ROM. The steps are exactly the step as above of cos the ROM file you use this time is B919 which can be found ->huaweihonor[dot]blogspot[dot]sg/2012/08/how-to-install-recovery-clockworkmod.html

The above link will be use to install Recovery (Clockworkmod) after you have done with B919 ROM. And now you can play with any ROM!

Goto huaweihonor[dot]blogspot[dot]sg for steps & various wonderful custom ROMs recommended pertaining to Huawei U8860, very useful site!

That’s all folks! Tell me you achieve that Jo!

• March 13, 2013 at 3:47 am

Hey.
    When i open the root-me.cdm it says “daemon started successfully”.. Then nothing happends. Please help me 🙂

• April 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hi, I do think your blog could be having internet browser compatibility problems.
    Whenever I take a look at your site in Safari,
    it looks fine however, if opening in I.E., it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, great blog!

• November 12, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Hi. Can I install KitKat 4.4 after I follow these steps to root my Huawei Honor Non Camera? Is there a KitKat 4.4 available for this phone? Never root phones before. Please advise. Thank you 🙂

• November 12, 2013 at 7:13 pm

The tools files prompted virus when I try to download the zip?

• November 14, 2013 at 7:16 am

Joseph,

There are no further updates (in terms of OS) for the Huawei U8860 Honor. I just attempted to download the tools file and my anti-virus software did not highlight anything suspicious about the tools. What antivirus software are you using?

• January 1, 2014 at 11:09 am