Flashing the ASUS RT-AC68U to TomatoUSB
Overview of the TomatoUSB Flashing Guide
In the following few sections, we are going to:
- Download and install the ASUS RT-AC68U Utility.
- Download the latest TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware for ASUS RT-AC68U.
- Prepare the RT-AC68U for flashing.
- Flash TomatoUSB (Shibby) onto RT-AC68U using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility.
- Preparing TomatoUSB (Shibby) on RT-AC68U before usage.
Download and install the ASUS RT-AC68U Utility
Downloading ASUS RT-AC68U Utility
- Using the web browser, navigate to http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=RT-AC68U.
- In the OS drop down selection box, choose the Operating System (OS) that you are using (e.g. Windows 8 64-bit).
The page should refresh and show the list of files available for your operating system.
- Click on the plus (+) sign beside Utilities to expand the list of available downloads.
The Utilities link should expand to show a list of files available for download.
- Locate the “ASUS RT-AC68U Utility” and download it.
Installing ASUS RT-AC68U Utility
- Locate the downloaded ASUS RT-AC68U Utility package.
- Extract the contents of the ASUS RT-AC68U Utility
- Install ASUS RT-AC68U Utility by executing Setup.exe and following the on-screen instructions.
Download the latest TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware for ASUS RT-AC68U
- Using the web browser, navigate to http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26ARM/.
- Navigate to the directory for RT-AC68U.
- Locate the latest firmware build (e.g. 116).
- Download the firmware (file ending with .trx). If you are not sure which firmware flavour to download, download the one with “AIO” in the filename.
By now, you should have installed the ASUS RT-AC68U Utility and downloaded the latest TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware for ASUS RT-AC68U. let’s proceed to the next section.
Prepare the RT-AC68U for flashing
- Connect the RT-AC68U power adaptor to the RT-AC68U.
- Using a patch cable / LAN cable, connect your computer’s ethernet / LAN port to RT-AC68U’s LAN port 1.
- Ensure the ASUS RT-AC68U is powered off.
- Ensure your computer’s ethernet / LAN port is configured to use DHCP.
- Make sure you have a pointed item (e.g. pen) to press the RT-AC68U’s reset button.
Once you are done, proceed to the next section.
Flash TomatoUSB (Shibby) onto RT-AC68U using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility
Preparing the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility
- Launch the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility on your computer.
- In the Firmware Restoration Utility, browse for the TomatoUSB (Shibby) firmware that you have downloaded earlier.
Do not click the “Upload” button at this juncture.
Starting the ASUS RT-AC68U in emergency firmware restore mode
- Power off the ASUS RT-AC68U.
- Press and hold on to the reset button.
- While holding down the reset button, power on the ASUS RT-AC68U.
- Keep holding the reset button until the power led starts to blink / flash (on and off).
- When the power led starts blinking / flashing, release the reset button.
Flashing the TomatoUSB firmware using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility
- While the RT-AC68U’s power led is still blinking / flashing, click on the “Upload” button of the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility.
The utility should locate the RT-AC68U in rescue mode and attempt to recover the RT-AC68U.
- Allow the utility to upload the TomatoUSB firmware.
- Allow the firmware flashing to complete.
- Click on the Close button and wait for the RT-AC68U to reboot.
The RT-AC68U will take around 2 to 3 minutes to complete its boot up process.